Running (jogging) on treadmill or on pavement....

Options

Replies

• PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For me, it's two completely different workouts.

On the treadmill, I do really high intensity intervals on a high incline. On the pavement, it's just an easy, long distance jog with my dog. Each one is for a different purpose - the treadmill is for weight loss and agility training, whereas the out of doors is for a relaxing, fun run with my furbabies.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If your town / city has a track available, try to use it. The one where we live is much better than the treadmill or the road.
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running outside will burn more calories, but if you have knee problems I highly recommend either finding a new cardiovascular activity, or sticking to treadmills. My husband has a runner's build, but his knees swell up horrifically any time he tries to do something high impact like running.

If you want an outdoor activity that's easier on the knees, I'd suggest biking.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    For some reason, I find it much easier to jog outside on the pavement, I can run for a longer amount of time and the experience just seems more enjoyable when I'm outside...

But I have noticed my knees hurting lately from running on such a hard surface...

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Totally with you on this one...love running outside but i know when i first started back running again four years ago that i wouldnt go outside and the treadmill was my friend...
    funny how things change lol

Yeah, I have used my boyfriend's treadmill before and it was just too difficult for me. But during this hot weather, I sometimes wish I had a treadmill of my own. If I don't get up early enough before the heat kicks in, I miss out on my workout (like today) :grumble:
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    I just started running outside and I love it! I used to try to run on a treadmill to no avail, it was horrible for me! I just got my booty outside and it makes it soo much better, I can go longer and its fun! I too have been having knee pain though, mostly towards the end of my journey. I figure its something that will get better as I build up my muscles etc. I heard it's best to run on dirt or grass whenever possible but most of the time that is not an option for me. I've also heard that shoes are very important...Interested to see what other solutions might come up...
  • alwayssavingme
    Options
    I switch off between the two but I prefer running outside. I find it easier to run longer and a lot more fun to run outside. The treadmill is nice so I can be inside with my son and avoid horrible weather :) However, I ran outside yesterday and ended up getting a blister on the bottom of my foot while wearing the same running shoes I wear on the treadmill. Harder ground does have it's consequences I guess :(
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i'd love to be able to run outside but i find the extra impact of the harder surface too much and get leg cramps really easily compared to the treadmill which i never get cramps with. can anyone recommend good running shoes that absorb impact?
    p.s. hope that makes sense :)
  • mparr125
    mparr125 Posts: 17
    Options
    I started on the treadmill and would never go back after running on the road for the past year (a mild winter certainly helped). You are correct in that it is more enjoyable and goes by faster.

One thing to look into, in regards to your pain, is your shoes. You really need to have the proper running shoes especially for the harder surface. You also want to swap them out as, if you're like me, knee/shin pain usually means mine are getting worn and it's time for a new pair.

Hope this helps.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It can be a dilemma. On the pavement or trail you are more stimulated by what you see. That gives you more energy and motivation. You are also getting a much better workout in terms of muscles exercised and calories burned. The treadmill has many conveniences but keep in mind that its doing a lot of your work for you. You are not working your hamstrings near the extent you would on the trail. Electricity is taking care of that. You also don't have to exert your stabizers as much which over time really adds up. But, if its over 100 degrees outside or pouring rain or freezing I can understand the apeel. Its definately better than doing neither.

If you are running on the pavement with proper shoes, form and stretching then most of the dangers attributed to pavement are taken care of by your equipment and conditioning. Unless you have excess bodyweight or have injury prone weaknesses (like knees or shins) then pavement may not be realistic. I've been there and back again.
  • mparr125
    mparr125 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was recommended "neutral cushioning" shoes for similar issues and because I am prone to "pronation". New Balance makes good ones that are of a decent price (if you have a factory outlet nearby all the better). I have had 3 pairs of NB's this year and can't complain.

But you want to make sure about which way your foot lands - people either pronate or suppinate - when their foot lands and the wrong type of shoe can make it worse (i.e. result in further misery and injury).
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    If your town / city has a track available, try to use it. The one where we live is much better than the treadmill or the road.

My college has a track and school starts up soon so thinking about arriving early before class and getting a good jog in...
    Thanks for the tip!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I prefer trails.. my favorite trail was a gravel trail. There are also paved trails around that have dirt trails right next to it where people started running in the grass. The only time I get on the treadmill is when I am warming up to do some strength building or if it's crappy/or way to hot weather to be running outside.

I will say the paved trails are much rougher on the legs... but i enjoy the scenery and the fact that once you run away from your start point so far... you HAVE to make it back. Treadmills are to easy to jump off and skim on your workout. lol.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I've been doing C25K on a treadmill. I like having a direct log of the distance and speed, and being able to watch the difference in my pace when i switch back and forth between running and walking. I'd be more likely to cheat myself by not actually running harder when it comes to that step if the ground wasn't moving itself beneath me.
  • Keffinger22
    Keffinger22 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill personally but my right knee gives me issues. My doctor said for now only do the elliptical or bike to strengthen the muscles around the knee and when it gets stronger then I can start to think about running. I have been doing 15 min on the treadmill at an incline lately though, it definitely doesn't hurt as bad as it used to so hopefully I can avoid any knee surgery, so try that! And make sure to ice, ice, ice and ice!! LOL
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do it on the trail. Pavement sucks, and so do cities.
  • eeeCharlee
    Options
    I run in the road. It's a lot easier than on the sidewalk and honestly I struggle on the treadmill. Always trying to make sure I stay straight and not fall off the side! I have horrible balance! LOL

this^
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I was recommended "neutral cushioning" shoes for similar issues and because I am prone to "pronation". New Balance makes good ones that are of a decent price (if you have a factory outlet nearby all the better). I have had 3 pairs of NB's this year and can't complain.

But you want to make sure about which way your foot lands - people either pronate or suppinate - when their foot lands and the wrong type of shoe can make it worse (i.e. result in further misery and injury).

Interesting....I think I supinate. I never really thought of this before! You're awesome, thanks!

Gonna look into some New Balance shoes. The ones I currently have are Nike Free Tr Fit. They are more meant for cross-training I believe. They are very light (which is what I really like about them) but maybe not so good for running on pavement...
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    prefer to run outside and usually run the streets but I have noticed that the treadmill is easier on my ankles. I love the fresh air too much though to run on the treadmill much
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I like running outside with the changing scenery. The treadmill time goes by so much slower even with the TV on or music. Unfortunately, it's been 95+ here for several months so if I run, it's inside on the treadmill.

However, with Track and Field now on, I watch that track races and pretend I'm running with them. LOL that helps a little!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running on pavement/concrete is actually bad for your joints. Long term, it can cause damage.

Urban myth. Study have shown that long term running actually helps your joints, it doesn't hurt them. If you care, look it up. It's been posted here a hundred times.