your thoughts on the 30 day shred.

Options
I posted this on the chit-chat board, so i'm correcting to this one. any thoughts on this would be great :-)

ok, i'm reading a lot of people on here are doing the 30 day shred. I think it's Jillian Michael's DVD. If your doing it, or did do it, what are you opinions on it.

Replies

• KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I totally love it!! 20 mins, lots of burning, hard work and results. What more could want? haha. Highly recommend it!
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I have it and started it, but then got bored and stopped. Not that it is a bad workout because it is good and short, but I don't like watching the same video day after day. But i may give it a go again and add it to my workout every day. After all it is only 27 minutes. (People say 20 minutes, but with the warm ups and cool downs, it is like 27).
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I love it! Some days I put music on alongside the video because her voice can be annoying. Nothing else has worked for me that even resembled progress in my ab area and with her DVD I have something going on:

3531a1g.jpg

Photo on Left is D1, starting. Photo on Right is Day 3
  • shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of it, and have been doing the Shred plus her other series (Ripped in 30) for about two and a half months now, rotating. I'll be brutally honest on why I like it:

1 - its relatively short, 20-30 minutes depending on whether you do the warm up/cool down exercises. I'm a busy working mom and I'm lazy, I want to workout quickly in my own home and be done with it.

2. it works!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS for two weeks and quit because it just wasn't enough for me. It's a very beginner friendly program that is difficult to modify for more advanced fitness levels (from what I understand that's what RI30 is for but I can't be sure as I have not tried it). I was long past the point then of being a beginner or being able to get anything out of a beginner friendly program so I guess that's why.

I'm not a fan of the style of workouts Jillian teaches because they don't revolve very much around functional improvements in athletic performance. They're all about making you LOOK more fit but not really BEING more fit. So if your primary goal is wanting to look good in a bikini but you have no interest in actually doing anything athletic I'd say Jillian videos are just fine for you. But if you are trying to prepare for a more active lifestyle with more athletic ways of enjoying yourself, look elsewhere. You won't get anything but a smaller waistline from her videos (which is the goal for a lot of people so it's not necessarily bad).

EDIT: I want to reiterate that I was long past the fitness level 30DS is aimed at when I tried it which may be why I got nothing from it. The stuff she did in that 20 minutes is nothing compared to what I was already doing for my 45 minute to an hour workouts everyday.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is similar to any other fad exercise program better results can be gotten from heavy lifting and proper eating. Plain ole run of the mill cardio optional.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    Love love love it! :heart:

It's a great workout that burns a fair few calories. I had good results from it. I'm now doing Ripped in 30 and hope to have great results from that too.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    Assuming it is similar to any other fad exercise program better results can be gotten from heavy lifting and proper eating. Plain ole run of the mill cardio optional.

So you're assuming? Why bother replying to the OP if you can't offer any constructive advice? Actually it incorporates strength training, ab work AND cardio. :angry:
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Why would you reply to this if you've never even done the DVD? I've done it and I've seen results. Not everyone wants to be a heavy lifter and not every one is a gym goer.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I bought the 30 day shred DVD about a year ago and have not opened it because truthfully I'm a little intimidated because I know Jillian whoops some fitness butt! After seeing people say they love it and that it's beginner friendly I think I will pop the dvd in tonight after work and give it a try.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Why would you reply to this if you've never even done the DVD? I've done it and I've seen results. Not everyone wants to be a heavy lifter and not every one is a gym goer.

He does have a point though. The bottom line is that the harder you're willing to push your body, the better results you're going to get. And unless you're a beginner, a workout such as 30DS is only going to be moderate intensity at best. The reason people show results from following the program is because they tend to stick to it. You could put any program together and if you stuck to it you'd see results.
  • twosons08
    twosons08 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How many calories (ballpark) would the workout burn?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight... I weigh 184 and I burn about 162 (24 minutes logged as Circuit Training since it was the closest).

Its a low burn at first sight but you are creating lean muscle and doing cardio at the same time so you actually burn more.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options

He does have a point though. The bottom line is that the harder you're willing to push your body, the better results you're going to get. And unless you're a beginner, a workout such as 30DS is only going to be moderate intensity at best. The reason people show results from following the program is because they tend to stick to it. You could put any program together and if you stuck to it you'd see results.

The OP asked for suggestions/ comments... that's certainly what she's going to get. There's no reason (ladies) be be anything but ladies and let everyone say their piece.... and let there be peace. K... that's my hippie jargon for the day. Live, let live..... and rock & roll...

I'll be doing 30DS starting Sun/Mon. Just completed BUTT BIBLE and also have "sampled" week 2 of 30DS. Butt Bible was high rep to muscle exhaustion. Loved it. Fab results on my bod. The session of 30DS was fast paced, low rep, lots of movement/ cardio and made me sweat like a glass of iced tea on a hot day. It tickled my fancy, so I'll be doing it, then plan to do the RI30 as well.

Also, running, and other various forms of torture are in my regimen.

I plan to lift. I'm working on getting my mind trained and disciplined to do these things first. I know ALL of these things have results... .different results, yes, but I don't think you're "worse off" for doing any of them. We're all at different levels, physically, emotionally, mentally. Just do what is right for you.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

It all depends on your age, weight, gender, fitness level, etc... but I'm a 5'6, 168 lbs and have only been working out regularly for a few months, and I burn around 260. Some higher, Some lower - I use a HRM.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just started it yesterday, so I can't really say whether I like it or not. It was difficult for me and I was sweating a lot and could barely talk, but we shall see if the proof is in the pudding. I personally don't think it's really much of a fad. It's not new. It was made 4 years ago. i bought my DVD 3 years ago b/c some friends raved about it. It sat on my shelf for that many years b/c I was scared of it. I see that people are still raving about it, so I am now trying it.. IMO, the fact that people are still raving about it means it's stood the test of time and is more than just a fad.
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    do it!!! good luck! :)
    I bought the 30 day shred DVD about a year ago and have not opened it because truthfully I'm a little intimidated because I know Jillian whoops some fitness butt! After seeing people say they love it and that it's beginner friendly I think I will pop the dvd in tonight after work and give it a try.
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan : (
    I own the DVD & have tried it several times. I don't really have a problem with the workout ... I just really can not STAND Jillian michaels for some reason! Haha. So, if you can get past that, it might be good for you!
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options

It's all about your intensity! With Ripped in 30, I burn about 310 according to my HRM (5'3'', ~160 lbs).

That being said, JM's workouts were a nice way to get started for me. 310 calories is nothing to shake a stick at - and in 30 minutes, totally worth it. I still use 30DS and Ri30 in my workout rotation.

Beyond that, I feel like these videos got me ready for something more. I just started Insanity - his "warm up" is Jillian's cardio! No joke. I loved day one and I can't wait to see what this afternoon has in store for me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It's a great beginner program. I did it when I first started exercising. I liked it because it was quick and I saw results. It also only requires a set of dumbbells and a yoga mat which aren't too expensive.