Question for the daily weighers

Options

Replies

• coffeerunner
    coffeerunner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and log it. I think it keeps me more accountable.
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weigh in only once a week. Gained or lost, I log.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. My weight fluctuates a lot (sometimes 2 pounds a day). It depends on a lot of different reasons, so here is what I do:

I log my weight every day in my 'notes section'. On Sunday, I average my Monday-Sunday weights, and log it on Sunday. I am trying to get an understanding of the way my body works, so this works for me.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log only when I lose.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Every Morning
    Get Up!
    Pee!
    Weigh!
    Record any losses that occur in two consecutive days!
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a day because I'm curious and don't worry too much about fluctuations. I log it every two weeks or when a loss lasts for a week or more.
  • Segath
    Segath Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stand on them scales twice a day at least! I only log once a week tho, the fluctuations fascinate me and I neither get too excited about loss or gain until the log day. Even then the overall monthly picture has been more important then a weekly change.

I see no reason to not weigh myself as long as I don't take the daily numbers to heart.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't "right" but it's what works for me, and that's all I really care about. I weigh myself just about every day. If I find that I lost weight, I will record it. If I'm the same, or a bit higher than my lowest, I don't.

This is exactly what I do.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day usually, out of habit more than anything. I log when I loose from whatever my previous lowest weight was. I typically log Thursday or Fridays.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I weigh every day but I don't log unless I reach a new low weight. I fluctuate wildly up and down about 3 pounds.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily at least twice (once when I first wake up, and once just before I go to sleep) just so I can see the changes that occur over the course of a day.

I log the weight change into MFP 1-2 times a week or if I have a significant weight change.

I log my daily morning changes into a health graph on a different site because I really like seeing the changes. I personally don't get uptight when I see the daily variation. I understand my body is constantly attempting to achieve homeostasis and that many of the fluctuations are water related, and that in general a human being will weight more at night than he or she would in the morning. I think I'd be worried if I wasn't seeing the zig-zag on the graph.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Every Morning
    Get Up!
    Pee!
    Weigh!
    Record any losses that occur in two consecutive days!

^^^ me too
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but I only log when it's lower than my last logging. I seem to have a problem with retaining water so I always log the lowest weight
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log my lows. With my workouts and diet, my weight can easily fluctuate up and down by several pounds from one day to the next. I'm interested in capturing the daily movements and comparing to my activity and eating habits to discern any patterns and make this journey more predictable.
  • valleydad
    valleydad Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Weigh every morning. Usually record every morning regardless of the result. I like to see how I'm doing and what affects my changes. Sometimes I have a low calorie day and no result and then magically a few days later I lose.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I know this is totally OCD - but I weighed 4 times a day for the first 6 months of my weight loss journey. Primarily, it was so I could see what my body did over the course of a day and also to identify at what point in the day I weigh the least (so I knew when to really weigh - lol).

Now I weigh every day, but record only once each week. This is new for me, but as I get closer to my goal, the daily ups and downs were driving me nuts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily.
    I learned from that.
    (what causes water retention, that I "gained" not only before my period, but during ovulation...)

I do a weigh in once a week, and log that
    On Sundays, usually.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weigh every time I go to the gym but try to log just once a week.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Every day - wake up, pee, weigh, log it in MFP. It is only data - nothing to obsess over.

OK - here is where I get a bit anal about it. I also track daily weight on a spreadsheet, along with weekly and monthly averages. I plot the daily weights (lots of ups and downs with a general downward trend) as well as the weekly averages. With the weekly numbers I connect them with a simple 2-pt trend line.

The daily weights are interesting and I can try and see if something leads to a spike (in either direction), but all I really care about are those weekly averages and that trend line. If you weigh once-a-week you aren't getting a weekly average - only a single data point.

On that spreadsheet is a workout tracker and, soon, a BF tracker (currently only one data point for July). All of these (and more) are areas that should be tracked in gauging overall fitness progress. Don't rely on that scale alone. In fact, if I had to choose I would pick the tape measure over the scale.

Good luck!!!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday unless I'm certain the number will scare me or slow my emotional progress (as in, had a whole personal pizza for dinner the previous night, I'll probably wait two days to weigh myself for things to even out).

I only log when I lose, and on Sundays. Sundays are more for my wall calender weight, where I write in the loss and can flip back through the months to see how much I was losing a week. Logging when I lose is for me, to see that big red number go up and help me push harder at workouts.