question for the ladies

when its that time of the month i get a hardcore salty sweet tooth, is there a healthy or semi healthy snack i can have to curb those cravings without killin all my calories in one sitin

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    budget for it all during the month.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I have similar problems maybe some light popcorn?? thats pretty yummy
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    For the sweet, I LOVE Dove Dark Chocolate Promises. At 44 calories per square, it really satisfies my sweet craving. For salty, if I want crunchy salty chippy type, I go with pretzels. A serving totally fits within my limits. Also I allow myself another 200 calories a day for 2-3 days around that time. It's not gonna kill my progress, and it makes room for an additional yummy snack when I most need it.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    For salty snacks during TOM I have snack size Chex mix.
    For sweet I have fruit roll ups or frozen fruit bars (sugar free)
    They are low cal/ portion size so it's a good snack to quench the cravings
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    I reach for dark chocolate (at least 64% cacao) and red wine. If I have to I will add in some lite Jarlsberg cheese and grapes to go with. All of these really seem to help me, and none are really going to hurt your diet unless you eat a ton of them. But I tend to just eat these things slowly as I sip my wine. Seems to take the edge of really well.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Dark chocolate, pickles, olives, popsicles (low calorie), fruit, a really low calorie sweet thick balsamic vinegar on greens or veggies, popcorn.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    I like the 100 calorie bags of kettle corn.

Or a sliced apple with a teeny bit of salt.
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    I reach for dark chocolate (at least 64% cacao) and red wine. If I have to I will add in some lite Jarlsberg cheese and grapes to go with. All of these really seem to help me, and none are really going to hurt your diet unless you eat a ton of them. But I tend to just eat these things slowly as I sip my wine. Seems to take the edge of really well.

great suggestion! thanks so much.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Planters energy mix individual pouches. its salty and sweet honey roasted nuts and little dark chocolate balls
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    cheese and pepperoni.
    fats really help!
  • jenniferlthomas0305
    jenniferlthomas0305 Posts: 76 Member
    When I start getting cravings I reach for my chocolate meal replacement shake blended with natural or powdered peanut butter, fruit or my homemade honey nut granola (made with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, raisins and honey).
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Popcorn! Definitely stove-popped with just regular salt. Also for the sweet/chocolate craving I go for like a teaspoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    a nice munch that does the salty - sweet thing is a box of raisins - the snack size, not the very tiny size- and 1.5 oz of any nut-mix together- comes to about 200 calories and you slowly enjoy it like chips. so it satisfies by lasting a while if you dont slam it by the handful.
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    I keep a stash of 100 cal options ... popcorn, mini quaker rice cakes, oreo cookies, shortbread cookies ... and since they are already in 100 cal portions I grab a salty and a sweet and enjoy myself guilt free ... I try to cater to my cravings during this time, cause if I don't then I totally go overboard.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    bump
    Interested in answers myself.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    They have dark chocolate with sea salt in it... It's godiva chocolate. I love it, I have 2 squares(100 cals, 6g fat, 51mg sodium, 8g sugar, 10g carbs) when I have that salty sweet craving when aunt flo is visiting lol.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    just indulge a little.

but if you can't :

100 calorie cocoa almond packs
    10 hershey kisses

wait, i've run out of ideas because I think it's best to just give in a little.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Pretzel Flipz are really good and you get the salty/sweet in the same bite :wink:

130 calories for 8 of them so you probably wouldn't want to binge on them, but not too bad at all for a snack when you just HAVE to have the salty/sweet. (I am the exact same way, by the way).
  • Pretzel Flipz are really good and you get the salty/sweet in the same bite :wink:

130 calories for 8 of them so you probably wouldn't want to binge on them, but not too bad at all for a snack when you just HAVE to have the salty/sweet. (I am the exact same way, by the way).

I was coming here to say the exact same thing. I normally have a bag of those around during that time and eight pieces is enough to satisfy me. Before I started losing weight if I had them I'd just eat them out of the bag and end up eating loads in one sitting, but if I count them out beforehand then I don't have any problems just sticking to that one portion.

Another thing I snack on a lot, especially during that week, is sliced cucumber with a bit of salt. Other options are those quaker mini rice cakes (I get the caramel flavor for when I want something crunchy and sweet) or, like others have suggested, cookies or something of the sort in a 100 calorie pack. Most of the time I still eat the same sort of things I would have been eating months ago when these cravings hit; I just watch the portions and it's been working for me.
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    They have dark chocolate with sea salt in it... It's godiva chocolate. I love it, I have 2 squares(100 cals, 6g fat, 51mg sodium, 8g sugar, 10g carbs) when I have that salty sweet craving when aunt flo is visiting lol.

I like the sea salt one, I don't know why!

I also LOVE the dark chocolate bars from World Market: One has chipotle pepper in it, strange but so yummy! And a really nice one is their Strawberry and Champagne one. They have a bunch of other ones too. Yum thinking about it...:)