All PCOS ladies out there

Options

Replies

• Firephoenix013
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm currently taking metformin and. (obviously) trying to lose weight. If anyone has had sucess with this medication please speak up. @ this point it's either this or birth control to regulate my period...my periods are all out of whack....I'll be off for like 6 months then on FOREVER like my body is trying to make up for the loss....imma need PCOS to fck off

I was on Metformin all it did was make me sick when I took it, then after a month of being sick I was ok but I never noticed any changes, then when I went off of it I was super sick again. I have also been on all sorts of birth control, from the shot, to the pills, to the 3 month pills, etc, etc. Nothing worked. I know every body is different. I know my mom had to go through the same thing I did with the ablation. And it took her FOREVER to have me. So yeah PCOS is a you know what. I did find though that seasonal/seasonique/whatever it is called now, tried to keep my periods to a dull roar while the rest did nadda.

:( Jesus Christ ! And yes it makes me sick too! I couldn't go into work today because of the intestinal problems....If its not helping after 2 months I'll have to let it go....this just makes me so upset & emotional

*hugs* It also did not help me lose weight. I know some doctors will say it will etc. I will also say this, all doctors have done the lose weight bit to me, but when my mom had pcos she was SKINNY I mean size 2 skinny and she was bed ridden literally bleeding to death hers was so bad at times. She would soak bed sheets. So I don't buy into that whole lose weight it'll be gone etc etc stuff 100%. Course again every body is different. I've actually been trying some supplements for my PCOS as my endocrinologist basically told me that he wasn't going to treat me anymore because it was metformin or bust and I said he could go visit a rather warm place for all I cared at that point if he wasn't willing to help me (as he was ignoring my blood work showed my thyroid has been off the last several blood draws). And I am actually finding that the supplements are helping. It takes several months for them to kinda really kick in, but it's working. I finally have energy compared to nothing, the hair growth doesn't make me feel like I could compete with any random guy on shaving every day or for hair growth everywhere, no more mood swings, the acne was went down A LOT, and my hair isn't falling out as much (though I think some of the current upage is hair falling out is some current amount of big time stress lately). If you want I can im you the list of all the supplements I'm on.
  • laurajethan
    laurajethan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well then lucky ducks I would have lost double my weight if it weren't for PCOS. Lol. It is hard though. I mean I see super skinny girls drinking their huge starbucks and all I can do is stare and sniff the air cause I know it's gonna set me back if I do it cause this PCOS just latches on to anything fatty it seems.

I know I work my butt of and try to eat really good but only see very small results on the scales. Gets so frustrating and watching other people loosing big amounts and they are doing the exact same thing really get to me. Thats where im an emotional eater and go off the rails
  • fdeeble
    fdeeble Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am newly daignoised with PCOS (3months) I have been taking Metformin all three months and I have to say I have really learned how to take it with out feeling sick!! it took the first 1.5 months to get it down but I am doing fine on it now. I am also on BC and we are trying to get a normal cycle. I went months without and now with the meds I am every 14 days... NOT fun. I am hoping my body can figure itself out soon but in the mean time I am also trying to lose weight to help. I am a WW and Zumba 3x a week and I stillcant even lose A pound a week. I am now on a carb counting mission! My Dr said no more than 30-40 carbs per meal and 2 snaks at 15 to less. Day one I did well carbs wise but the calories add up pretty fast. Anyone else Cutting or counting Carbs?
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I started doing that, the emotional eating this week, then reminded myself to stop it and that it wasn't doing any favors to my body so back on the band wagon I am. At least it was still healthy wise, I just wanted more and more of it and was going to go over my calorie limit for the day.

Fdeeble I am not doing the carb thing. I'm just eating what I like but cut out like starbucks, and tons of diary that I usually like and am really just watching it on what I eat and how much. Part of it could even be the metformin stopping you from losing. I had a theory about that as I am not diabetic at all, in fact my sugar usually runs in the 80s, yet I was put on 2000 mg of Metformin a day. I think it was making it where my body COULDN'T lose because it was struggling to keep all it could to try and regulate my sugar to where it should be. Now that I'm off Metformin I'm losing. So just a thought. I honestly feel a thousand times better not being on the metformin.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have PCOS. I am beyond the childbearing years and was actually diagnosed when I was TTC. However, I think I had it since I was age 12-periods always irregular and other symptoms.

Back then when I was TTT, a new drug was just starting to be used. It's name is Metformin. Now, many women with PCOS are taking it because it helps with insulin resistance, which is related to the hormonal imbalances that cause PCOS.

Fast forward 15 years an I am now TTD and take Metformin and lots of other drugs. I am only now starting to understand just what happened to me due to PCOS. I missed out on all the new research so could not take advantage of it back then.

However, YOU are luckier than I was since a lot more is known about PCOS now. May I suggest that you find an excellent Reproductive Endocrinologist ASAP--someone who knows this syndrome and has experience treating it. Get all the hormonal tests done .There are lots of good books and websites out there now. A good site is the PCOS Diva. Google it--good site with LOTS of info, Look into the supplement Pregnitude that has been used in Europe and is now being used in U.S. It supposedly helps with the IR.

Good luck and pls contact me if I can be of any more help!!

P.S. You can get pregnant with PCOS-but you need to work on diet/exercise and sound medical advice. Don't waste time on a GP or a random Ob/GYN unless they are knowledgeable enough about PCOS.
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm currently taking metformin and. (obviously) trying to lose weight. If anyone has had sucess with this medication please speak up. @ this point it's either this or birth control to regulate my period...my periods are all out of whack....I'll be off for like 6 months then on FOREVER like my body is trying to make up for the loss....imma need PCOS to fck off

I was on Metformin all it did was make me sick when I took it, then after a month of being sick I was ok but I never noticed any changes, then when I went off of it I was super sick again. I have also been on all sorts of birth control, from the shot, to the pills, to the 3 month pills, etc, etc. Nothing worked. I know every body is different. I know my mom had to go through the same thing I did with the ablation. And it took her FOREVER to have me. So yeah PCOS is a you know what. I did find though that seasonal/seasonique/whatever it is called now, tried to keep my periods to a dull roar while the rest did nadda.

:( Jesus Christ ! And yes it makes me sick too! I couldn't go into work today because of the intestinal problems....If its not helping after 2 months I'll have to let it go....this just makes me so upset & emotional

*hugs* It also did not help me lose weight. I know some doctors will say it will etc. I will also say this, all doctors have done the lose weight bit to me, but when my mom had pcos she was SKINNY I mean size 2 skinny and she was bed ridden literally bleeding to death hers was so bad at times. She would soak bed sheets. So I don't buy into that whole lose weight it'll be gone etc etc stuff 100%. Course again every body is different. I've actually been trying some supplements for my PCOS as my endocrinologist basically told me that he wasn't going to treat me anymore because it was metformin or bust and I said he could go visit a rather warm place for all I cared at that point if he wasn't willing to help me (as he was ignoring my blood work showed my thyroid has been off the last several blood draws). And I am actually finding that the supplements are helping. It takes several months for them to kinda really kick in, but it's working. I finally have energy compared to nothing, the hair growth doesn't make me feel like I could compete with any random guy on shaving every day or for hair growth everywhere, no more mood swings, the acne was went down A LOT, and my hair isn't falling out as much (though I think some of the current upage is hair falling out is some current amount of big time stress lately). If you want I can im you the list of all the supplements I'm on.

Please do I'd love that list....I currently have two conditions doctors cannot fix & it's the worst feeling in the world...I'm willing to try anything that's not too risky...my problem is the abnormal bleeding...it's horrible...if I can help that at least it'll make life 10x better. And good for you, telling your Dr. off...why would he ignore that!?
  • Firephoenix013
    Options

Please do I'd love that list....I currently have two conditions doctors cannot fix & it's the worst feeling in the world...I'm willing to try anything that's not too risky...my problem is the abnormal bleeding...it's horrible...if I can help that at least it'll make life 10x better. And good for you, telling your Dr. off...why would he ignore that!?

He wanted to focus more on my PCOS symptoms but when three doctors go yep you've got thyroid issues, I wanted help. But trying to find a good endo doctor around here is a pain, went to three, each ignored the thyroid issues and stuck with the PCOS stuff and said tahdeedah with that and oh yes lose weight and that'll fix it. I'll get that list to you tomorrow/today as I gotta be able to read everything I take. It's a list but some of it is for PCOS some of it is not, but I'll try and tell you what all it's for. You'll laugh at one as it is actually a male supplement BUT on the PCOS website I was reading, it was for the abnormal hair growth and to calm it down and it seriously works. My family doctor was like ummmmmm why are you taking this? I told her and she goes that makes perfect sense now and that's actually a really good idea. Sometimes I've learned that it's just best to take matters into your own hands and try to treat yourself if you can compared to the doctors doing. But I was also an EMT for a while, I grew up wanting to be a vet so I do know some health things from that as well, and I also grew up in the country where sometimes you had to do things yourself. Plus the health care around where I live is kinda laughable. One doctor told a gal she had a mosquito bite (yet her arm was kinda rotting where she was bit) she came to me I said spider bite and sent her to an urgent care center that I trust and gee guess who was right...(points to self). So yeah doctors aorund here are kinda meh lol.

And I have also had some pretty rough medical conditions, I've had a brain tumor and cluster migraines aka the suicide migraines, so I know. Some of the damage those two things have done to my body is not fun. I was put on an experimental drug and stuff and paid a price for it, it worked, but I still paid a price to be the guiena pig.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    *Hugs* to thebrianmo for seeing this topic and caring enough to contribute.

I hope all you PCOS girls check out the PCOS group on mfp, come on over. Lots of open discussion and tips and tricks there for you. There are things we can do naturally to help get our hormone balance back in more normalized state and control IR and then we can diet with the best of them, so there is hope. Best wishes xx.
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    *hugs to you* sounds like you've been through quite a bit..thyroid problems run in my family (mother, aunts) just another thing to add to the list I guess lol...but I wish you the best with your weight loss..We can do this
  • laurajethan
    laurajethan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    *Hugs* to thebrianmo for seeing this topic and caring enough to contribute.

I hope all you PCOS girls check out the PCOS group on mfp, come on over. Lots of open discussion and tips and tricks there for you. There are things we can do naturally to help get our hormone balance back in more normalized state and control IR and then we can diet with the best of them, so there is hope. Best wishes xx.

which one would it be there seam to be a few?
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Options

i have been on metformin before, and it did not help me, thats not to say it wont help you, everyones body is different. best of luck to you.
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

omg, i would really appreciate it if you messaged me this list of supplements
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @laurajethan. There is a group called PCOS SIS and one called PCOS and low glycemic index eating. I didn't see any others. :-).

I control my PCOS IR naturally but I had results in just 6 days.

2g magnesium, calcium, vitamin d blend in the right proportions plus 2g vitamin c stirred into unsweetened orange juice plus a 30mg zinc capsule to control the PCOS.

Coq10 enzyme and management (not eliminate) carbs and restrict exercise to 35-45 minutes to avoid cortisol overproduction.

With PCOS IR under control, weight loss is easy and comfortable. Best wishes. Xx
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    Was diagnosed with the pre-polycystic follicles a few years back and have recently been diagnosed with fully blown PCOS with a simple cyst on my right ovary. Bled for a delightful 25 days last month.
    I have stalled big time weight loss wise, its taken me a massive 7 months to lose just 32lbs. I see people on the topics losing 50lbs in the time it has taken me to lose this. I haven't lost anything for a couple of months and its getting me down big time, yet the sort of food and cals i take in are no different to when I was losing.
    Its a long haul and I am hoping I get there before it gets just too much and i get so disheartened that I lose the willpower.
    Feel free to add me anyone
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    Ok since several of you want to know what all I take I'll write them all down on here. Here we go:

Centrum Ultra Women's X1
    Os Cal Extra D X1
    Nature's Way Vitex Fruit 400 mg (helps with the acne) X1
    Super Strength D3 2000IU X1 (if it's been cloudy and/or rainy for a few days I take 2 as my D levels are low)
    Saw Palmetto 160 mg (for the out of control testosterone levels in my body and the abnormal hair growth) x1
    L-Carnitine 500mg x1 (unless my body is really slow that day then I take one later on as well)
    Natural D-Alpha Vitamin E 400 I.U. X1
    Raspberry Ketones 125 mg x1 (sometimes 2 if I'm super hungry that day and yes I have noticed it does help keep down some cravings)
    GNC Hair, Skin, and Nails Formula x2 and this helps A LOT with my hair wanting to be so brittle and fall out, the brittle nails, the acne.

That's what I take so far and it has helped a bunch. I did a bunch of research on a bunch of PCOS websites for what all those women took, looked at the main ones and went from there. The Saw Palmetto is a prostate function supplement but when the women on those forums took it, they said it was the greatest thing ever as a lot think that it helped them to lose weight as well. So up to you. I know it seems like I take a lot but it's working and it helps. So try some of those. I would say if nothing else give the saw palmetto a try. To me it seemed like at first my hair and acne got worse but then it got really better. So again up to you. I'm going to be adding more supplements, but it's for trying to get my body to work together to lose some body fat while I work out to help keep things moving along.
  • LAJessie83
    Options
    I have PCOS and have since 7th grade. It started when I had a cyst rupture in my ovary, most painful thing i have ever been through. Periods were always extremely heavy and they even thought I had a blood disorder. Come to find out they tested me for insulin resistance and I had that plus multiple cysts. I have had a lot of trouble losing weight and have found that I must change my life, eating healthy and exercising is a way for me to not gain weight rather than to lose and if I do want to lose weight I just have to push harder.

With the metformin, I take 2, 500mg pills. I have found in order to avoid the stomache issues, I must eat less breads, or carbs, take them at the same time everyday, and NEVER EVER skip a day. I started with one pill before bed and stayed on that until my body got used to it and then i did two pills before bed until i got used to that and then one pill before bed one in the morning until my stomache cooperated and now it is 2 pills in the morning. Another tip that I can give is make sure you eat either before or directly after you take the pills that seems to help.
  • tift0918
    tift0918 Posts: 13
    Options
    i have pcos and i have lived thru metformin - the worst drug EVER!!! but to be honest losing that 10% of my starting weight really did trigger whatever had been malfunctioning the past 2.5 years and i got pregnant shortly after losing the weight - i have made a lifestyle change since then and incorporate exercising and eating responsibly since then - feel free to message me if u have any questions!! good luck with the medication - it was honestly the worst thing i have ever taken ... but it worked for me :)
  • smcclaycouffer
    smcclaycouffer Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 29 and I've had PCOS for the past 8 years. I got pregnant with my son when I was 18 (2001 he was born Feb 2002). Since it wasn't planned we decided to wait to have another child. Well 2 yrs after my son was born my periods just stopped. I've always had irregular periods so really wasn't concerned but when 5 months went by no period AND I was on the pill I thought it was weird. Sure enough I was diagnosed with PCOS. In 2006 we started trying to have another baby despite Dr's telling me that PCOS leaves you sterile and I wouldn't have anymore. It took a year and a half, but Feb 2009 my daughter was born. We called her the miracle baby. Last Aug I found out unexpectily I was pregnant for a 3rd time. My son was born April 13, 20012. I went from supposedly sterile to having 2 more kids. I feel very blessed. Don't lose hope on having kids. It can happen despite what dr's say. :) The only thing I absolutely hate about PCOS is hair where it shouldn't be...does anyone else have that problem???
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1993, more or less was told that children would never be. I always say, "Never say never"! As I sit here and type this, I have the miraculous pleasure of listening to my 2 year old little miracle sing! I got pregnant only after accepting the fact that I may not have children. I lost weight, changed the fact that sex was just that, sex and a chore....Started making love again, enjoying myself and my husband....and surprise...It happened!! Sorry if that is TMI ;0) I do have to sat though, my son is 2, and since having him in 2010, I have yet to have a cycle. PCOS has come back with vengance!! Please have faith and know that what is meant to be wil be....it is not in our hands to decide.
  • tift0918
    tift0918 Posts: 13
    Options

sorry i meant to respond to this - see my post above lol im so not technologically savvy lol