Too much muscle from running!

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can we take a vote? Is the OP humblebragging or trolling? I vote trolling.
  • hchristopher33
    Options
    Hello all,

No, I am not a troll. Like others who are questioning, it is more than possible for my figures to be off. All I know is that about 2 months ago I weighed less and started running. Now I weigh more. The muscle assumption is from the fact that my legs are toned and firm--by absolutely no means at the level of body builders, and my pants no longer fit.

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone or have come across as insincere. I am still at the beginning of my fitness program as was simply looking for support because I could not figure this out by myself.

Again, I could be completely wrong; I was simply putting two and two together.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Its more than likely that you've just gained 10lbs. Period. The End.
    the weight probably went to you thighs and you think that its muscle. gotta explore all options here because we've pretty much ruled out that its muscle you've gained
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

No, I am not a troll. Like others who are questioning, it is more than possible for my figures to be off. All I know is that about 2 months ago I weighed less and started running. Now I weigh more. The muscle assumption is from the fact that my legs are toned and firm--by absolutely no means at the level of body builders, and my pants no longer fit.

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone or have come across as insincere. I am still at the beginning of my fitness program as was simply looking for support because I could not figure this out by myself.

It's hard to give any advice without knowing more about you. How tall? How much do you weigh? How old? Is your job sedentary? How much do you eat?

It is very likely you weigh more because you assumed running was burning more calories than it actually is and are eating too much. In general, running slims people.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    why is everyone being so mean? i thought this community was for support?

Some people on here are mean to people who are starting out. Arrogance is a better word.

Can one of you please show me these mean responses? I am missing them.

I'm not sure how you could miss them. People have called the OP a troll and posted crazy pictures.

People need to quit assuming things and take questions from newbies as the naive entities that they are. It is very easy to be polite when pointing out where someone is wrong.
  • nayers86
    nayers86 Posts: 60
    Options
    When I first started running, I lost weight. My muscle tone did change, but, not to the extent of a large gain of muscle or bulk. With running and food, it can be easy to gain weight. If you want specific advise reach out to me, I know it can be hard to balance running and weight loss but 10 lbs attributed to muscle gain is unlikely. Put the scale away and take some body measurements...the scale can be very deceiving.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You're doing something wrong. Unfortunately there are no pictures, no diary, and no information to go on other than "I can run a 5K, I must be adding muscle" therefore you may get some "helpful" advice, but there really isn't enough information to provide any real advice . . . and most of us are rather skeptical regarding the blue people.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am guessing that that the running increased your appetite and you have just gained weight. Yeah, some might be muscle, but maybe 0.5 or so. water retention is a big possibility as well.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Love it! How many times do people go on about "cardio" burning muscle? Running, and cycling have a cardiovascular effect, but they have a resistance aspect too!

While this is true track cyclists, particularly in the sprints, get that type of development more from weight training rather than their cycle training.

Sir Chris Hoy has a leg press of 631kg...
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have that exact same problem! The doctor tested my testosterone levels which came back extraordinarily high for a girl so she recommended that I cut my running down to 1 mile and do only light weight high reps of any sort of weight bearing exercises.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hmm... can you spot reduce muscle? *philosoraptor face*
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have that exact same problem! The doctor tested my testosterone levels which came back extraordinarily high for a girl so she recommended that I cut my running down to 1 mile and do only light weight high reps of any sort of weight bearing exercises.
    lol'd.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Listen to your doctor, not MFPers.

:smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    :facepalm:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    why is everyone being so mean? i thought this community was for support?

Some people on here are mean to people who are starting out. Arrogance is a better word.

Can one of you please show me these mean responses? I am missing them.

Anything short of fawning over the OP with full credulity and without questioning any of the claims no matter how implausible is known as "mean" on the MFP forums.

So stop being so mean.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Started 2 months ago, I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes.

9utgk.gif
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 months ago, and have recently bumped up my route to about 3-3.5 miles. I go about 4 times a week and the route is relatively flat.

Given that you aren't running hills what is the intensity of your routine like? Is it high and incorporate sprints to any degree?

You may have gained a small amount of muscle given you are new to training but certainly not 10lbs worth. If your clothes are tighter you may simply be experiencing water retention for muscle repair or inflammation. This should abate after a while.

I am presuming you are in fact dieting and in a calorie deficit though.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Started 2 months ago, I have gained about 10 pounds of muscle mainly in my quads and glutes.

9utgk.gif

lol!!!!!!!!
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    While the 10lbs you gained probably isn't all muscle, it is possible you have increased the muscle mass in your quads. I have naturally muscular legs, and I'm finding even though I've lost weight, pants that are now loose in the waist are tight in the thighs. My take on this is that even though my legs are more defined and toned, there is still fat surrounding that area. I'm going to continue running and strength training and that fat will eventually decrease, resulting in inches lost instead of gained (this is from past experience). No one has the same body type, and some will put on muscle in areas more quickly than others in the same area.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

9utgk.gif

I'm stealing this from you! It would be so useful on the forums!