Anyone NOT eat all of there exercise calories??

Options
12345679»

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The ignore button on here is a wonderful thing. Sometimes I am too slow to use it. :ohwell:

Must you be so obnoxious?. Stating that I don't know what it's like to be broke, when just 2 days ago my husband only had $6.00 in the bank, is laughable!

When you have to pay to keep a roof over your head, as well as pay for your Mother In Law's $4,000 MORTGAGE - plus your own family bills and living expenses, (including $6,000 to 8,000 in medical bills a month, for your entire life because you were born with a rare medical condition) and Food and Gas and then you end up with $6.00 - THAT IS BROKE.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do
  • patfyfe
    patfyfe Posts: 17
    Options
    Pleased to read this comment as the page always states if I am not eating all my calories, but I would find it difficult to do this at times. I also feel that I make up when I go out for a meal or indulge myself at times so it is swings and roundabouts.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU to OneSnap, for helping this here newbie better understand how the MFP calculator does work!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight...so I rarely eat my exercise calories...unless I am hungry. ;)
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    btw, slightly off topic, but earlier in the this thread, i wondered why anyone would want a strap around their chest during a workout, when one could use a WRIST heart rate monitor instead?
    (i have heart troubles, and even have to use "bra-extenders" to loosen my strap around *my* chest, to reduce pressure on my heart and lungs, to PREVENT my heart from racing erratically)

anyway, someone replied that a wrist heart monitor does not keep a record of heart rate,
    but, turns out, there are wrist monitors that DO keep records. I have no idea the PRICE of these, i'm just sayin, they do make wrist monitors that record heart rate---- into your computer for daily logging.

I googled it, over 800,000 returns, just snatched one article on wrist heart monitors with various features:
    http://heart-rate-monitor-watches-review.toptenreviews.com/
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The ignore button on here is a wonderful thing. Sometimes I am too slow to use it. :ohwell:

Must you be so obnoxious?. Stating that I don't know what it's like to be broke, when just 2 days ago my husband only had $6.00 in the bank, is laughable!

When you have to pay to keep a roof over your head, as well as pay for your Mother In Law's $4,000 MORTGAGE - plus your own family bills and living expenses, (including $6,000 to 8,000 in medical bills a month, for your entire life because you were born with a rare medical condition) and Food and Gas and then you end up with $6.00 - THAT IS BROKE.

Just a question - you don't mind putting all your /your family's personal financial issues on a forum for perfect strangers to see?
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Just a question - you don't mind putting all your /your family's personal financial issues on a forum for perfect strangers to see?

Doesn't matter to me. People are going to be judgmental regardless. At least we spend the money we have honorably. We don't waste it on garbage, or alcohol, or drugs. I have no reason to be ashamed of helping my mother in law pay her mortgage.

My life won't change either way because the people on MFP know that "LilacDreamer" and family have been going through financial difficulties.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back all my exercise cals from MFP. I have a fitbit so I'm able to accurately monitor my deficit on a minute to minute basis. I eat enough to keep the deficit between 1000-750 cals a day :) This week a saw a 1.6 lb loss

I've often heard that if you need to lose more than 1lb/week (or if you are participating in a plan that is set up for greater than 1lb/week loss) that you should seek the advice of a doctor. Just to make sure you are not doing any permanent damage eating twice the suggested deficit per day on the days you have a deficit of 1,000 instead of the suggested 500. If you have a lot to lose your doctor might support this plan.

I appreciate your concern and I do realize that I should strive more towards the .5-1 lb range instead of 2 as I don't have much to lose. However, after an entire summer of seeing a plateau or gain I'm ecstatic to finally see a downward trend. also I want to note that even though I strive for those large deficits, I am still eating anywhere from 1500-1800 calories a day.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    Why did this suddenly turn into "i know more then you do!" or a "financial advisory" conversation everyone broke ok move on NOW how do u make up for overindulging in calories the NEXT day?
  • womanwithamission
    womanwithamission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a HRM and know exactly how many calories, I would not eat them back. I just got a HRM and workouts that I thought (mfp calculated) were actually much much less. Example 75 minutes vigorous swimming (on a masters swim team)
    mfp 1311 calories
    hrm 300 calories
    that is 1000 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will only eat back half if its a special occasion or if I'm really hungry
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    No but I have my calories set higher than MFP suggests. Most days I aim for 1450-1550 a day. It took me a while to realize that I wasnt losing anymore because 1200cal was just too low.
  • talanie506
    talanie506 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i had until today been eating ALL of my exercise calories (about 3-400 a day) as well as my 1200 base calories, although i got of to a great start - 8lbs off in 4 weeks - week 5 was static and this week ive put 1lb on even though im coming out at 0 or there abouts everyday.
    after reading this thread i shall not take them so literally and only be eating them back if im hungry enough to want to rather than think 'horay, because i ran three miles i can have a nice pint of cider (or two)...'
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Unless you have a HRM and know exactly how many calories, I would not eat them back. I just got a HRM and workouts that I thought (mfp calculated) were actually much much less. Example 75 minutes vigorous swimming (on a masters swim team)
    mfp 1311 calories
    hrm 300 calories
    that is 1000 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will only eat back half if its a special occasion or if I'm really hungry

Yes, I agree. A lot of the mfp estimates on exercise are way too high. I just don't see how it would ever be possible for me to ever burn 800 calories in an hour.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MFP exercise calories can be grossly overestimated.

I second that. I treat food and exercise as separate entities, but look at them together to get the big picture... if that makes sense. Like I record my food, but not my exercise on mfp and, to answer your question, I don't eat back my exercise cals. If I'm losing/gaining/stalling/hungry/tired, then I'll change it up until I find my happy center again. If eating back your exercise calories is killing your progress, then avoid it. And vice versa.