has anyone tried the shirataki miracle noodle before?

Options

Replies

• xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    they are good...yet i find myself never really buying them...guess u could say i am suspicious of them:
    -how are they made? how processed must those noodles be to have no cals, no carbs???
    -if they are vegan, why do they smell of fish?

they are tasty and useful, but seem too good to be true>>>

I have never tried them but when I read the OP I must admit to having the same thoughts as you about how they are made, what exactly is in them and just how processed they are etc....
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    do they work as pasta? I have a pack but I've been too scared to try them LOL! I'm not a fan of noodles in stir fry so I was wondering if I could use them in place of spaghetti or fettuccine????
  • KatyBugs1724
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE them!!! I definitely reccomend trying them in some sort of asian dish first though! I mean, I think they're fine for anything you'd use noodles for, but some people find it hard to have them as, say, an italian dish when they're first getting used to it. I think that's the main problem for the people who don't like them, using them as an italian pasta substitute right off the bat. They're different than normal pasta in that they're chewier and slipperier almost. But, I still think they're DE-Li-CIOUS!!!
  • rondom41
    rondom41 Posts: 16
    Options
    Good question!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    My husband used the tofu version to make the Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo...it was yummy! You should be able to find them in Asian grocery stores.
  • karicasey
    karicasey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are awesome! I don't like the texture to substitute for a spaghetti noodle but I love them in stir fry.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I order mine from Amazon. I get a shipment of 6 each month. They are shelf-stable, although making them is a little bit prep-intensive, with regard to rinsing and snipping (unless you're into the Lady & the Tramp thing) and drying out before/during cooking.

I stir-fry mine in a small wok with ~1/2 tbls of grapeseed oil (it has a higher smoke point), but you could do it in a dry nonstick skillet just fine if you so choose. Cook them by themselves for a few minutes, until they dry out a bit.

I like using silicone-covered tongs to turn them in the pan - maybe just because it's more fun to grab at them, but it also makes dishing-up easier when you're done.

The noodles absorb whatever flavors you add to them, so use stuff that you like! My favorite bowl right now is green onions & shrimp, and I sometimes add a beaten egg or two as well if I'm really hungry.

Cook all that together, and add about 1/2 tablespoon of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce, or whatever) and mix together while still on the stove. I've also tried sweet chili sauce in addition to the liquid aminos, and it was darn tasty. Then scoop it all into your bowl, and top with a shake of powdered ginger. NOMS.

I think that the recipe I just gave you totaled out to about 400 calories for the entire bowl, with 6 oz of shrimp and 2 beaten eggs, and including the oil in the pan.

ETA link to Amazon Subscribe & Save: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CLCEDE/
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Someone may have mentioned this already but the best way I have found if you are having issues with the smell or texture is to "dry fry" them after you have rinsed and strained them really well. Just dry them off, throw them in a skillet, and fry them in a pan by themselves for a little while. It helps dry them out and I think it helps a little with the texture too.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Someone may have mentioned this already but the best way I have found if you are having issues with the smell or texture is to "dry fry" them after you have rinsed and strained them really well. Just dry them off, throw them in a skillet, and fry them in a pan by themselves for a little while. It helps dry them out and I think it helps a little with the texture too.

Yep, that's the best way to make them taste good (or at least neutral), in my experience. I actually learned that technique in the forums on the first day I joined MFP. It kind of endeared me to the place. :) I had made tofu shirataki noodles before, but was never real impressed with them and sometimes didn't even want to finish my meal because they were totally unappetizing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    they are good...yet i find myself never really buying them...guess u could say i am suspicious of them:
    -how are they made? how processed must those noodles be to have no cals, no carbs???
    -if they are vegan, why do they smell of fish?

they are tasty and useful, but seem too good to be true>>>
    They're not pasta.
    That's the simple answer.

One variety is essentially pressed yam fiber.
    The other is squeezed tofu.
    They aren't very processed at all.
    They just aren't really noodles.

I don't LOVE the yam ones, but will eat them instead of glass noodles in some asian dishes.
    (Glass noodles are just potato starch, btw, not really pasta either.)
    I do love the tofu ones. I get some protein, they taste good, and the "feel" like spaghetti.

I get the tofu ones in the tofu department at Whole Foods (and my local cheaper alternative).
    I get the yam ones at the Asian market.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    bump
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tried them just the once, then ordered 20 packets over the Internet. You can work out from that how I found them!

It means for me that while the rest of the family has egg noodles, I can chow down with a similar sized bowl with the yam noodles. And anyway, I prefer them to egg or rice noodles. Only downside is they more expensive, but they last for ages and if you order them bulk it works out not quite as bad, price-wise.

Where did you order them from?

I live in the uk, and this was the cheapest I found (cheaper than amazon).
    http://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/index.asp

They arrived a couple of days later, all good, so retailer was good for me. Max order is 20 packets.

If anyone knows a better uk supplier I would appreciate it if they could post. They are £1.35 from this place.
  • Hyzaarc
    Hyzaarc Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had the Nasoya tofu one's before. I turn them into Ramen as well as Pasta and meat sauce. They need to be rinsed really well or you get that nasty-mushroomy smell to them. Other than that they're a little on the chewy side.
    Not bad, but they're not noodles. They're noodle wanna-be's.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have shirataki noodles last night, the fettucine ones - yum! With strips of onion, peppers and mushrooms with a bit of pesto sauce - logged it into my food on here and it was well under my dinner limit!! Tasty and filling!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you can't find them in a regular store you might try an asian store
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i just ordered some off amazon last night..cant wait to try them!
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi, I have been enjoying shirataki noodles for a while now and favorite is Miracle Noodle. Zero calories, zero carbs and no soy or tofu which I prefer to have. I love their varieties in their noodles..all at www.miraclenoodle.com. Best to try them first in soups or stir frys and then experiement with all the favorite sauces you like. Yes to Italian dishes with these as a pasta substitute, with alfredo and marinara sauces. Yesterday on their Facebook page which has so many great recipes, they had a great marina garlic herb Miracle Noodle dish which I am trying tonight. I find rinsing really well with cold water and sometimes boiling for less than 1 minute eliminates the fish smell. Great product. I find them at many Whole Foods and they have a store site on their web site too. Hope this helps! Hope you try the many recipes like we do.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I tried the angel hair version of these this evening. The smell wasn't as bad as I expected. I gave them a good rinse (20-30 seconds) and dry fried them in my well seasoned cast iron Dutch oven. I got them good a dry, transferred them on to a plate then cooked a chicken breast in the same pot. Once the chicken was done, I brought a little water to a boil in the pot and added the noodles back in. I then cooked them until the pot was dry again.

Overall I'd say they were pretty good. There wasn't much taste other than the chicken juices they were cooked in. The texture will take some getting used to. I'll defiantly try them again.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yes love rhem
    Make them with cinnamon and splenda and salt sprinkled w flaxseed meal.. Just like dessert
  • lehmann75
    Options
    I find them to be acceptable, but the real thing is much, much tastier and if I'm going for a low-cal pasta substitute I like spaghetti squash a whole lot better. Hungry Girl has tons of recipes for shiritaki, by the way.