Huh?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
So we have constant threads about how fruit is BAD because of the sugar, but also hundreds of threads about fat free, low calorie cakes.

Now we have threads about how saunas burn calories, but log cleaning, even if you have done 5 hours of really heavy housework and burned way more calories an hour than you do doing zumba, and everyone laughs.

Post about what music you like and get 500 responses, but post asking a fitness related about triathlons and get ignored.

This place is weird.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You've clearly been around here a long time. You're just now surprised at this?
  • fteale
    Options
    You've clearly been around here a long time. You're just now surprised at this?

Not recently surprised. Just thought it was worthy of a mention. There's a lot of inconsistency going on.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe there aren't a lot of triathletes here.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Part of it is simply the constant transition of people through the tool... And obviously trending topics and opinions and fads...

As well, and I've said this before, but I'll repeat it here... I think it is important to recognize that for many people, part of the attraction of MFP is the ability to connect in community of individuals working through similar issues. Part of that community is not just learning from "experts", but also being able to provide support. It is clear that a number of people I've seen post want to be helpful to others (and not feel that all they can do is take support and advice.) It could quickly begin to feel one sided. Hard on personal morale if you don't think you can support the people who are supporting you.... So people share what they "know" - what has been told them and what seems to have worked for them. I think it is very important to recognize people's input and intended support while helping to correct information - otherwise I think it can be seen as negative.

As well, for this community to work, I think we need people to share - we can't have someone ask a questions and nobody answer - just waiting for an "expert" to answer.... That isn't going to make anyone feel supported... This community would evaporate quickly I think.

So we end up with consistent mis-information being provided, and corrected in most threads, but challenges in the community discussing specialized topics where there is limited information known and so many people in the discussions that threads needing responses by a limited population slip to the bottom of the lists so quickly they don't get replys...

Not a perfect community.... But I don't know any community that doesn't have issues... It is still worth hanging out in for me...
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This place is weird.

I concur
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i like beer
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just put the word bacon in the title and they will read it
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I kinda like weird.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i like beer

I agree :drinker:
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda sick of the "How attractive is the person above?" threads. :sick:
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    There's a lot of circular discussion - some people say it has all been covered, that's why the weird stuff gets a good response.
  • fteale
    Options

Just put vegetarian in the title and a hundred people will reply saying you are a loon. But that isn't very helpful!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Post your triathlon questions in one of the Triathlon groups. Triathletes of Tomorrow is a pretty responsive group overall. As to the rest of OP's post, I do totally agree.
  • fteale
    Options

Me too.

Can we have some threads about actual fitness, rather than "fitness"?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

There are but I think they're all busy logging their cleaning...... or maybe cleaning their logs.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    use any of these to innitiate stupid conversation.....
    1.spot reduce
    2.excercise calories
    3.tell me if the person above u has a nice *kitten*....if u can handle it
  • staceface519
    Options
    So we have constant threads about how fruit is BAD because of the sugar, but also hundreds of threads about fat free, low calorie cakes.

Now we have threads about how saunas burn calories, but log cleaning, even if you have done 5 hours of really heavy housework and burned way more calories an hour than you do doing zumba, and everyone laughs.

Post about what music you like and get 500 responses, but post asking a fitness related about triathlons and get ignored.

This place is weird.

They have turned it into facebook. . didnt you know?? isnt it rediculous?
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Hello is that not stupid or what!!!!!
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options

This place is weird.

They have turned it into facebook. . didnt you know?? isnt it rediculous?

Wouldn't you for $6 Billion?