Insanity workout...whats it all about?

Options
Can you guys fill me in, I'm trying to research online. Is it a dvd?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It is a set of DVDs by Beach Body. It is extremely challenging, at least to me! A lot of jumping moves. It felt like a return to middle school PE hell, but if you are ready for a challenge this will do it!
  • OnMyWay4
    OnMyWay4 Posts: 264
    Options
    Absolute CRAZINESS!!! Month One is tough but oh em gee Month Two I could smack the crap out of Shaun T! Nothing but cardio and sweaty goodness to melt everything off of you!!!
  • ashleeassaf
    ashleeassaf Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am actually purchasing insanity today...and I am so worried I won't be able to do it! but the fact that i am spending so much money on it might actually push me to do it! lol my friend lost over 65 pounds in the first 60 days on insanity!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yeah, I have found it quite difficult to find any information on it as far as routines and such. Everything I find simply touts the marketing line "great cardio...yada, yada, yada
  • OnMyWay4
    Options
    yeah, I have found it quite difficult to find any information on it as far as routines and such. Everything I find simply touts the marketing line "great cardio...yada, yada, yada

I'm the first person to call "BS" on infomercials but I swear it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to market it myself but seriously it really is the greatest!
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's a series of DVD's. It's broken up into 2 months. You start with a fit test and take it again every 2 weeks so you can measure your progress. Month one is brutal but fun. You do a lot of variations on push up, squats, jumping jacks and ab work. I am half way done with month 1. Can't tell you much about month 2. All I've heard is that it is tougher than month 1 but so worth it. I love Insanity. It is hard but I feel so good when I am done. My husband and I have noticed changes in our moods, sleeping patterns, eating patterns since starting it. I have nothing bad to say about Insanity. It mixes the DVD's up enough that you don't get bored. We borrowed it from a friend. If you know anyone you can borrow it from, I would do that. I don't know many people that don't like it but just in case. Good luck! :drinker:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Month Two is pretty much more of the same except more intense (longer and harder then month one) -- basically the stuff done in month one is the warm-up during the month two dvd's. There is stretching at the beginning (after warm-up) and the end of EVERY DVD -- don't skip the stretching (very important).

There is also a diet plan that comes with it -- they help you figure out your calorie needs, etc. and there are meals that you can choose from.

nothing negative to say about insanity at all. I'm actually doing The Asylum now and love it just as much (if not more).
  • OnMyWay4
    Options
    Month Two is pretty much more of the same except more intense (longer and harder then month one) -- basically the stuff done in month one is the warm-up during the month two dvd's. There is stretching at the beginning (after warm-up) and the end of EVERY DVD -- don't skip the stretching (very important).

There is also a diet plan that comes with it -- they help you figure out your calorie needs, etc. and there are meals that you can choose from.

nothing negative to say about insanity at all. I'm actually doing The Asylum now and love it just as much (if not more).

Asylum?! I've seen pictures of it on Pinterest but I haven't seen any infomercials! Just curious as to how it compares to regular Insanity!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A group of guys I work with can barely get through the warm up, they stop at that point. That's how hard it is.
  • sarahrobin
    Options
    A group of guys I work with can barely get through the warm up, they stop at that point. That's how hard it is.

That's a little surprising. I'm an almost 200 lb 5'4" woman and I can get through the warm ups without stopping. I stop as little as possible during the workout. If I do stop it's for 2-5 seconds and then I'm back in it. It's hard but it's not impossible.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    isn't it the same thing as that Tony Horton guy? I returned those DVD's in 5 seconds flat because I am dealing with a foot issue. They don't seem to modify enough if you are a newbie. IMO...
  • sarahrobin
    Options
    isn't it the same thing as that Tony Horton guy? I returned those DVD's in 5 seconds flat because I am dealing with a foot issue. They don't seem to modify enough if you are a newbie. IMO...

Insanity uses only body weight. You can go at your own pace and modify as needed.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options

Insanity uses only body weight. You can go at your own pace and modify as needed.

How can you modify the cardio piece? I am not allowed to do anything weight-bearing. Can you just do the strength moves to get started?
  • sarahrobin
    Options

How can you modify the cardio piece? I am not allowed to do anything weight-bearing. Can you just do the strength moves to get started?

If you can't do weight bearing then this is not for you. Sorry- didn't realize you couldn't bear any weight. :blushing: You are on your feet for the majority of the workout (if not all of it). Once you are healed I would totally recommend it!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Look up the workouts on youtube and you can see what it's like and whether it'd be a good fit for you. It's definitely intense.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    And Tony Horton has nothing to do with Insanity. The dynamo instructor for this program is the very beautiful Shaun T! His abs alone are motivating!!!
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How long are the workouts usually? I keep hearing amazing things about them, but they cost so much that I never seriously considered it.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you can't do weight bearing exercises than you wouldn't be able to do Insanity because its a lot of plyometrics (jump training).

It is an interval training program so its really important to get a heart rate monitor, essentially you need to be able to work hard enough to get your heart rate for the 3 minute interval, and then allow your heart rate to come down briefly for a resp period. Your body responds similarly to weight training with intense interval training, in that your body begin to burn fat. However, its important that you are pushing yourself and a hrm can help make sure you are.

And to the poster that said its surprising that grown men can't get through the workout it could be they are pushing themselves much harder than you are. Insanity is one of those dvd's where you get what you put in. I'm completely exhausted at the end of the warm up, and sometimes I can barely get through, however, my heart rate is through the roof and I"m really pushing on those occassions.
  • OnMyWay4
    Options
    And Tony Horton has nothing to do with Insanity. The dynamo instructor for this program is the very beautiful Shaun T! His abs alone are motivating!!!
    ^
    ^
    ^
    LOVE IT! He really is quite appetizing and he is on my list of celebs to have babies with! Wait...$#!T...I'm fixed!
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has done Insanity will know that "This s*** is bananas!"

Best. Workout. Ever.

I've been doing it for 3 years. Never gotten bored...in fact, when I see the infomercial on TV, all I want to do is go workout.

I'm always looking for fellow Insanity friends...all welcome...