No squat rack at my gym

Options
So I just started Strength Training about two weeks ago and I go to the gym three times a week doing my nine exercises at 3 sets of 12 reps. I've been doing my squats on a Smith Machine because my gym doesn't have a power rack and everything I've read about Smith machines condemns them as evil and useless.

So I'm stuck. I *want* to do proper squats because I've read about all of the health benefits of doing them yet I have no manner of doing them with a bar and weights without a power rack.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Join a gym that has a power rack or squat rack or even a monolift.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options

Not particularly useful advice ...
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    Well, you really do not have many choices. Either do leg presses, squat with dumbbells, or join another gym. It's a pretty simple decision really.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's basically it. Find a new gym, or buy your own equipment to work out at home. You can't do barbell squats without some kind of rack, impossible to get the bar safely in position.

Smith machine squats will ruin your knees and back.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I know its not 100% ideal as you probably want to work to higher weights and be able to rack, but we do weighed squats in the body conditioning class, we weight our bars, and hold them on our shoulders (well you know where I mean) and squat, granted its not with heavy heavy weights as we have to lift them up and over our heads without a rack, but it would give you some resistance?

When I do proper weights, we have excellent racks and proper weight section, so never had to improvise there, so cant think of anything more helpful?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Well, then buy a squat rack and donate it to your gym?

You can "lean up" a heavy squat off the ground. It looks dangerous as hell though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well, you really do not have many choices. Either do leg presses, squat with dumbbells, or join another gym. It's a pretty simple decision really.

^ Pretty much.

Smith machine is not very good. Stick to the leg press machines and add in lunges.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do front squats instead. You don't need a rack. You can use a barbell or kettlebells (or even dumbbells probably).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats or dumbbell squats.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hack squats or front squats?
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Octane pretty much summed it up. I got tired of trying to find equipment I needed, and wasn't being used (or someone just sitting there) so I bought a bench, an Olympic bar with 255lbs worth of weights, and I have a power rack coming at the end of the month.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't either. It's not ideal but I rack the weight on the top of the incline bench and pick it up from there.
  • jwerdlike
    jwerdlike Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For now you can do walking db lunges. Try to go as heavy as you can. I don't have a squat rack either but I have noticed some gains from doing the walking db lunges. GL! You can also switch it up and do romanian deadlifts if you feel like it.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym to buy one? Or you buy one for your house? I love the squat rack. So cool. I would buy one if my gym wouldn't knowing how great it is.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

how do you goblet/dumbbell squat 160+lbs he'll be at within a month of SS?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

It's not? If you want to do proper back squats with a barbell and without the risk of killing yourself, you're going to need a squat rack or power rack or monolift. Therefore it stands to reason that if your gym doesn't have one, you should find a gym that does.

You could always do squats with dumbbells but they are a huge PITA and are more of a front squat than a back squat. You could do barbell back squats without a rack and risk seriously injuring yourself but that's no fun either.

Long story short, if you want what you don't have, there's only one real solution. Join another gym or buy your own equipment for your house. Maybe petition the gym owner for a power rack? Can't hurt I guess.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Or offer to buy one for the gym in exchange for a free membership of equal amount of money?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

how do you goblet/dumbbell squat 160+lbs he'll be at within a month of SS?

I wasn't saying he could go heavy with them. He just said he wanted to do squats.
  • ryan_k3377
    Options
    This is a problem I deal with every time I train legs. We don't have a squat rack either. So, I would recommend clean and press the barbell to your back, then do squats. Then as you add weight, it will be harder, then just clean it and do front squats. The weight will be light, but it is better than not doing them. Best of luck!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    now you know what to look for in a new gym. in the meantime, you can try cleaning and pressing the bar to your shoulders.