i have TONS of cucumbers now.....ideas?

Options

Replies

• lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't have any special cucumber recipes I just sprinkle a little salt on them and eat them. We had fresh tomatoes and no lettuce for a salad so we sliced the tomatoes and sprinkled a little feta on them and some fresh cracked pepper. It was awesome.
  • ChangingAmie
    Options
    And old favorite of my family: Very thinly slice cucumbers, light sour cream, salt, and a tiny splash of vinegar. Boring but tasty, refreshing and healthy.

You could also halve them long ways and hollow out the the seed part. Then stuff and slice to have cute bite size snacks.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Shepherd's Salad
    Serves 4 to 6

This salad is fabulous!! It would make a great salsa with pita chips. I chop everything in a small dice.

1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
    1 english cucumber, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    1/2 small red onion, diced
    1/2 cup mix of fresh parsley, mint, or oregano, minced
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup red fat feta, crumbled

Combine everything but feta in a bowl toss to combine well. Add feta and toss again.

This sounds good!
  • chubbachub
    chubbachub Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I saw someone slice them length ways and use them like a sub bread roll - with a sandwich filling like ham or cheese or whatever and make a bread less sub sandwich.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time....it came from my German dad and I don't have measurements so adjust to taste.

Thinly slice cucumbers and some white onion if you like them (I don’t). In a separate bowl, mix about 2 TBS vinegar, about 2 TBS sugar (or splenda) and about the same amount of heavy cream. Add a TBS or so of dried or fresh dill (I use dried). Pour mixture over cucumbers and let them marinate in the fridge for a bit. Salt and pepper to taste (although I don’t)....it is super yummy and totally refreshing for summer.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    juice them! My fav is pineapple and cucumber! refreshing!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1. Peel 1 cucumber, slice very thin discs into a bowl, salt and let stand until the cukes release a bit of liquid, add about a tablespoon of sour cream (lite works great) and mix. This is my favorite summer salad.

2. Add to cooked quinoa along with chopped tomato, a can of beans (I use chick peas) add basil and salt to taste

3. Peel cucumber and slice "ribbons" with your veg peeler and use in sandwiches.

4. Enjoy!
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Pickles!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I like to make an italian pasta salad. I only use cukes, tomatoes, whole grain pasta and fat free italian dressing. It's delicious and very filling!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cucumber mint water!
    Slice up the cucumbers and throw in some mint leaves with water in the biggest jar you own and refrigerate! You'll have cold cucumber mint flavoured water to drink all day long!

^^^^^This...I made something like this today. I didn't have mint so I just used lemon and cucumber. I also heard you can put ginger root in it as well and or lemon.

Cucumber water is amazingly good and I can't stop drinking it.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Share some with your neighbors. Wish I was your neighbor!!
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    donate them to food pantry/eat more/give away to friends and coworkers /pickle compost them
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My favorite cucumber & radish salad!:

Cucumbers+
    radish+
    spring onions+
    light sour cream+
    salt

Mix and enjoy! (goes great with meat and potatoes ;p)
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said a tomato cucumber salad hits the spot. I use olive oil, apple cider vinegar, some dill, s&p and good to go. mmmmmmmm.

Yummy.
    I make a creamy cucumber salad often.
    3 cucumbers (sliced)
    1c of fat free sour cream
    3/4 c of light ranch
    dill (season to taste)
    LOTS of vinegar (Add until you like)
    1 tsp of salt.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY! Great as a side dish when you are counting carbs :) I'd love to make pickles :)
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    Simple cucumber/onion salad:

2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced thinly
    1 medium onion (yellow or vidalia if you like the kick)
    A couple of sprigs of fresh baby dill torn up into small sprigs
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup mayo (you can skip this if you don't want the creamy taste or the extra calories, but it is not that much)
    1/2 tablesppon of sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Mix it all together and chill for 1-2 hours or overnight in fridge. Should take you less than ten minutes and that's including slicing the cucumbers.

Makes about 4 servings
  • paytonOMG
    paytonOMG Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My mom makes turkish salad with peeled cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon juice, minced serano peppers, sea salt, and green onions. Its a use your best judgement recipe. Simple, spicy, and delicious!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    chilled cucumber avocado soup (you can also use tomato instead or in addition to the avocado)

1 lb Cucumber (peeled but no need to remove the seeds)
    2 small avocados
    1 or 2 tomatoes (optional)
    1/4 cup lime juice
    3/4 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
    Sea salt and seasoned pepper to taste
    Mango and peach salsa

Cut the cucumber, avocados, and tomatoes and put into a blender. Add the juice, water or broth, and seasoning. Process ingredients until smooth.

Cool for an hour before serving, and garnish with one tbs of mango and peach salsa (I use Santa Barbara brand from Costco).

Note: If you want to add protein to this soup add 2 oz of Fage plain, fat free yogurt while you are blending all the ingredients

Enjoy!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i love cucumbers.. .I like them in a cucumber sandwich with a little soy sauce and chinese red chili sauce. lol
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yummy! You guys are all amazing!!! I'm buying cukes tomorrow and trying these salads, soups, etc. Thank you to all of you for sending my tastebuds into a whirlwind here. lol.