Jump rope burns more calories than any other exercise

Options

Replies

• pmcco
    pmcco Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I jump rope in the drive way with the neighbor kids.... I break out the songs from child hood and sing really loud "I like coffee I like tea... " haha... they think I am fun. Oh.... and the grand daughter is usually with me so I am not just playing with the neighbors.... they have no idea I am exercising they think I am just having fun with them. If you have kids they will love you to play with them
    I also do the challenges.... who can do it the longest?... that kind of thing
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I bought a jump rope and want to get into it again because I used to love it. As a kid I jumped rope all over the place but now? The few times I've tried have not been pretty. I'll have to practice some more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My daughter's soccer coach has suggested that the girls skip rope for 10 minutes a couple of times per week in addition to their regular running - while it is a good aerobic workout his reasoning is fast foot work (same idea as doing ladders).

I skip very occasionally, it's a good workout but about as much fun as watching paint dry. I'll take a good run any day........
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to investigate. I think this will be something both my husband and I can do.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    No doubt it's a good exercise, but my heart rate monitor says I burn far more calories on an elliptical (at high resistance) than jumping rope.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    omg i tried this the other day, i did 15 and was out of breath, does this get easier/?
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try! I have a jump rope in my garage. Thanks!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I used to love jumping rope!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm still too fat to jump rope without hurting my knees. I am planning to add it into my exercise routine once I lose 50 more pounds.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the OP. Jump roping is too often abandoned, but it is just about the best exercise you can get. And yes, it burns about 23 calories per minute.
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I enjoy jumping rope but let's be honest here.. better than any other workout?? Let's do the math.

10 min jog at 10 min/mi pace = 168 calories. 10 min jumping rope at moderate pace = 168 calories
    10 min jog at 7 min/mi pace = 235 calories. 10 min jumping rope at fast pace = 201 calories.

You can argue that fast pace may be more in line with 7.5 min mile..some argue it would be faster than 7 min/mi, either way, jumping rope is a good exercise. Just not as good as what has been stated compared to other options.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do some jump rope...my weak bladder, on the other hand, does not. lol
  • Timetogetskinny
    Timetogetskinny Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I added jump roping in my July Goals... I got up to 200 jumps! I started at 5 and worked my way up to 25. I did 30 minutes of 5 reps of 25 jumps. Yes, it's hard but so well worth it in the end! My son who is a Marine bet me that he could do 5x more then me...So, being the mother that I am... I took his challenge! Well, I did my 200 jumps,... He did 400 jumps in less then 5 minutes... I got MAD and I did 200 more jumps totaling 400 jumps!!!

HE DID 1000!!! (15 min)

Leason learned... Never challenge a MARINE!! LOL!!

For those of you who want to add Jump Roping to your routine... JUST DO IT AND DON'T GIVE UP!!

(As a Mother of a Marine... when I can't go any further... I tell myself...

This is NOTHING compared to what my son is going through having to serve 4 times in Iraq)

He is my Hero and My MOTIVATION to MOVE ON!... I believe that somewhere INSIDE YOU... You'll find that push, that strength that keeps you going... <3
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope but last time I did it regularly, my calves got pretty big... not something I want, so I haven't been doing it. It did help with endurance, though. It helped me run harder & longer. :)
    Glad I read this. My calves are already big enough. It's just the way I'm built.
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Negative. Sex burns more calories than any other exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    old thread is old.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ok, I'm going to say it... My butt cheeks are on FIRE when I jump rope for a decent amount of time... :blushing: Soooooooo I believe you :wink:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the OP. Jump roping is too often abandoned, but it is just about the best exercise you can get. And yes, it burns about 23 calories per minute.

Lol.. now, if only I could get to a full minute :ohwell: