My take on "artificial vs natural" when it comes to food

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I really do agree. I do eat whole food as much as possible and I have really became a better planner and cook because of it. I am more adventurous with my food and I eat a wider range of fresh produce.

I still eat store bought bread and have peanut butter and vegemite on a regular basis. And tinned fish and frozen salmon most of the time, as opposed to fresh stuff - but I love it when I treat myself to the fresh stuff.

I will still eat chocolate, ice-cream and home made baked goodies occasionally and sometimes I'll just go out to dinner, order a meal I want and not worry about calories or what's in the dish. I am definitely eating less of this stuff than what I was pre weight loss, and truthfully I could probably do with a little less yet again, but I am happy.

I love that I can go away - to a uni residential school or to visit my sister for example - and not have a nervous breakdown if circumstances make it easier to go out for dinner or eat stuff that I usually wouldn't choose. I couldn't handle the constant stress/guilt of being a strictly clean eater. I tend to be making better choices by default now anyway. And if I don't, I just enjoy it! :) I'm at the stage where I know that I love to eat whole foods most of the time anyway.
    Great way to find success.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • peresosaiii
    peresosaiii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a really good discussion with one of my peers at work on food. She and I are both in great shape, but she assumed that like her I only ate "clean". I explained to her that I ate 80/20 and that my culture/family foods are a big part of my life that brings enjoyment.
    Her take that anything "artificial" is bad for the body and that she only promotes "clean" eating to her clients. My stance of course is that I don't limit my clients (though I do encourage whole foods) to what they eat, but more on calorie intake. When all was said and done, we agreed to disagree, but she stated that she asked because my success rate with clients has been very good and recommendation and "wait list" for me is strong and she wanted to know how I was doing it.
    That said, here is how I view "artificial vs natural". You CAN'T beat natural food. If eating natural food is available and affordable, then I would encourage it. I eat whole foods 80% of the time. But "artificial" isn't ALWAYS bad even though that may be the stance of alot of "clean" eaters. There are times that "artificial" for the body is fine or even better. For instance if you have bad teeth, then going to a dentist and getting "artificial" teeth can be better for your gums and even how you bite. If someone is born without a limb, we have artificial limbs to offer a better life. The Olympic runner from South America showed that. Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.
    So when it comes to food, taste, texture and overall enjoyment play a factor. I haven't found "natural" substitute that tastes like a McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese. Or for gummy worms. Or Pop Tarts. While they do have man made chemicals in them, if you don't overindulge in them, there is no evidence to show that they will end up being your demise (death) if you have it every once in while or in moderation.
    Since I know that people who are overweight more than likely got that way from eating "junk", to do a complete 360 (only eat "clean") hasn't have a high success rate for my clients of past. While they did lose weight while on that type of diet, the response I usually got was irritability, stress, deprivation and eventually weight regain because they WANTED to eat foods they weren't supposed to. And I don't think life should be lived with those feelings. Now that's not to say that you can't feel good and happy all the time eating "clean", but what has to be taken into consideration is that is unless they were raised only eating clean, most people will have their "junk" that they really like.
    Keep it real. Try to keep it natural as much as possible. Artificial isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do have to keep it under control.

Thanks for reading.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

I hope I did this correctly..quote and post.

One thing I notice about myself. When I use artificial sweeteners I crave sweets more, and tend to feel a bit ill after prolonged use. One popular diet drink even gives me a headache. I mostly use non refined cane juice sugar, in moderations of course, and seem to be able to control my love for sweets a bit better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a really good discussion with one of my peers at work on food. She and I are both in great shape, but she assumed that like her I only ate "clean". I explained to her that I ate 80/20 and that my culture/family foods are a big part of my life that brings enjoyment.
    Her take that anything "artificial" is bad for the body and that she only promotes "clean" eating to her clients. My stance of course is that I don't limit my clients (though I do encourage whole foods) to what they eat, but more on calorie intake. When all was said and done, we agreed to disagree, but she stated that she asked because my success rate with clients has been very good and recommendation and "wait list" for me is strong and she wanted to know how I was doing it.
    That said, here is how I view "artificial vs natural". You CAN'T beat natural food. If eating natural food is available and affordable, then I would encourage it. I eat whole foods 80% of the time. But "artificial" isn't ALWAYS bad even though that may be the stance of alot of "clean" eaters. There are times that "artificial" for the body is fine or even better. For instance if you have bad teeth, then going to a dentist and getting "artificial" teeth can be better for your gums and even how you bite. If someone is born without a limb, we have artificial limbs to offer a better life. The Olympic runner from South America showed that. Artificially coloring your skin, rather than sitting out in the sun or going in a tanning bed is better. Same with enhancing eye site with laser, glasses or contacts. People artificially color their hair, nails, skin, enhance their body look (Spanx and make up for example). So not all artificial is bad.
    So when it comes to food, taste, texture and overall enjoyment play a factor. I haven't found "natural" substitute that tastes like a McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese. Or for gummy worms. Or Pop Tarts. While they do have man made chemicals in them, if you don't overindulge in them, there is no evidence to show that they will end up being your demise (death) if you have it every once in while or in moderation.
    Since I know that people who are overweight more than likely got that way from eating "junk", to do a complete 360 (only eat "clean") hasn't have a high success rate for my clients of past. While they did lose weight while on that type of diet, the response I usually got was irritability, stress, deprivation and eventually weight regain because they WANTED to eat foods they weren't supposed to. And I don't think life should be lived with those feelings. Now that's not to say that you can't feel good and happy all the time eating "clean", but what has to be taken into consideration is that is unless they were raised only eating clean, most people will have their "junk" that they really like.
    Keep it real. Try to keep it natural as much as possible. Artificial isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but you do have to keep it under control.

Thanks for reading.

IDEA Fitness member

I hope I did this correctly..quote and post.

One thing I notice about myself. When I use artificial sweeteners I crave sweets more, and tend to feel a bit ill after prolonged use. One popular diet drink even gives me a headache. I mostly use non refined cane juice sugar, in moderations of course, and seem to be able to control my love for sweets a bit better.
    And nothing wrong with that. Of course there are some that will state that sugar is toxic, especially refined sugar.

IDEA Fitness member