Protein Bars

Options
13»

Replies

• to_the_surface
    Options
    Lurking for recipes. Issue with commercial bars is not the main ingredients (they're mostly healthy), it's the additives required for making it suitable for packaging and meet requirements for shelf life that i would try to avoid as much as possible (not only in protein bars but any kind of processed food) .
    Guess convenience factor sometimes gets in the way, and there will be times in which the commercial version would have to do.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    While I agree that Quest bars are probably the best ones out there in terms of health and ingredients I will also say that I hate the taste and texture of them. They are so chewy that they take forever to eat.

Many lara bars do not have enough protien.

In terms of straight up flavour I highly recommend Oh Yeah bars. They are a little high in calories and they do have sugar in them, but for me it is like getting a little chocolate treat every other day. This keeps me from needing other chocolate. They have 30 grams of protien and 4 grams of fibre and come from mixed protien sources. For me flavour is most important. If I do not like it I will not eat it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    While I agree that Quest bars are probably the best ones out there in terms of health and ingredients I will also say that I hate the taste and texture of them. They are so chewy that they take forever to eat.
    Warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds and they become very soft - warm Cinnamon Roll, warm Apple Pie, etc.
  • crissunwoo
    Options
    I like Zing bars. They aren't protein bars but they're great as a snack or if you're on the go. I always get chocolate coconut and blueberry almond. They cost @ $2.50/bar at Whole Foods so I only get them when they're on sale and buy a case.
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I think the idea that they take so long to eat is maybe to slow eating down so the brain recognizes the feeling of fullness before one eats too fast and too much....maybe?
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas! I use the Pure Protein bars and the Luna Protein bars, though am not satisfied with either.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump!

The only natural protein bar I tried was Risebar, though the sugar was pretty high @ 13g of sugar per 17-20g of protein. Taste was not bad...