I dont agree with myFitnessPal methods

Options
My understanding now is that...

1) Weightloss is not an accurate indicator of obesity

2) The only way to be certain of one's obesity is to measure body fat percentage and this involves a scale AND a tape measure

3) Muscle mass can completely throw off your understanding of how fat you are if you are just using a scale because it will in same case make you heavier

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    ok. I'll stop using it then
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

2) The only way to be certain of one's obesity is to measure body fat percentage and this involves a scale AND a tape measure

3) Muscle mass can completely throw off your understanding of how fat you are if you are just using a scale because it will in same case make you heavier

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

OK.
    If you don't agree with eating a moderate amount and doing some exercise - and balancing these two things... what do you recommend??
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well MFP does allow you to track your measurements too. Let's face it, everything in the real world isn't "Look at me, I'm 19% body fat!" It's "Look at me, I'm 120 pounds now."

I do agree that the scale isn't accurate, but that's something everyone here learns anyway. Thus, NSVs.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    How dare you doubt MFP :laugh: :laugh:
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options

And your point is? I'm asking sincerely. Ive lost 25 lbs with MFP,. Its the first thing thats worked for me in years. Even if what you're saying is true, i dont understand what you want us to do about it.
  • Edwiner
    Edwiner Posts: 17
    Options
    I recommend he does a little more homework before jumping in and not knowing how to swim.
    Fact: Muscle is heavier than fat and it will always be that way. Buy a tape measure and a scale.
  • vickysawyer
    vickysawyer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with counting my calories and exercise. It's the only way I can keep track of what I'm eating and stops me from going overboard. I don't understand the point you're trying to make?
  • zedbomb
    zedbomb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to say, but i would say it is the easiest tool i have used to lose weght. there is no counting points green yellow pink days or what ever. just here is what you can eat to acheive your goal to get healthy and fit.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Maybe you should stop "thinking" and focus on your fat loss goals. You have 4 months to go.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal isn't perfect, but it's a tool - obviously you bring your own knowledge and self-understanding to it and adapt as you need to. You can disregard the bits that aren't helpful to you, and make use of the bits that are - or if it's not helpful at all, there are other sites/apps you could try. I'm finding it useful, despite the fact that losing weight isn't my main goal, and I am more focused on gaining strength and endurance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The what now!?
  • marvelscale
    Options
    I recommend he does a little more homework before jumping in and not knowing how to swim.
    Fact: Muscle is heavier than fat and it will always be that way. Buy a tape measure and a scale.

Muscle is not "heavier" than fat. :huh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for enlightening us.

BTW, taking pictures of yourself in a mirror with your iPhone is grounds for having your man card revoked.:laugh:
  • JPO1980
    JPO1980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

LOL at this!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Yes it is... 1 cubic cm of fat is lighter than 1 cubic cm of muscle.
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    Its not compulsory to use, its a bit like a remote control on the tv, if you dont like what you see you , we do have a choice, we can always change channels
  • vtachycardia
    Options

Yes it is... 1 cubic cm of fat is lighter than 1 cubic cm of muscle.

LOL - that is volume, which is nothing to do with heavier. You are correct that density and volume are different, but heavy is a weight, weight is weight. 100 Kilo of Fat is the same as 100 Kilo of muscle, the same that 100kilo of feathers is the same as 100kilo of lead.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    MFP is great as a tool to track whatever combination of macros/calories/pop tarts work for you.

I didn't notice any "method" that is compulsory for MFP users. Other than the oft-quoted "Create a 3500 calorie weekly deficit and you will lose 1lb of fat". Which is absurd anyway so I just ignore it.

I agree that 'weight' is a rubbish indicator of health, BMI also for that matter.
  • missbaker89
    Options
    hmmmmm