Renaissance Faire- Any Guild members (wenches, etc?)

Options

Replies

• hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yep, we do Steampunk here, too - it seems to have gotten really popular over the last 2 years, and I'm expecting we'll see lots of people in Steampunk outfits at this year's festival. Our faire goes in waves regarding its attempt at being authentic - some years we hold tightly to sumptuary laws, and others we stray wayyy beyond the bounds of anything real-history-like. This year, we have a ton of gypsies and fae of all kinds - Henry and Catherine are on the throne, and there's a surprise twist to things that I won't give away here, in case anyone local to me is reading this.

With you being a Shakespeare geek, I think you'd absolutely love attending these things. I have friends in a group called the Lord Mayor's Company, and they do hilarious abbreviated shows of his works. :)
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    Yep, we do Steampunk here, too - it seems to have gotten really popular over the last 2 years, and I'm expecting we'll see lots of people in Steampunk outfits at this year's festival. Our faire goes in waves regarding its attempt at being authentic - some years we hold tightly to sumptuary laws, and others we stray wayyy beyond the bounds of anything real-history-like. This year, we have a ton of gypsies and fae of all kinds - Henry and Catherine are on the throne, and there's a surprise twist to things that I won't give away here, in case anyone local to me is reading this.

With you being a Shakespeare geek, I think you'd absolutely love attending these things. I have friends in a group called the Lord Mayor's Company, and they do hilarious abbreviated shows of his works. :)

I know what you mean and I do like the idea of the steampunk movement but I've always preffered the 1500's - 1600's.
    That sounds amazing I would love to come, hope you enjoy yourself sounds like it's going to be good.
    and yeah it sounds like my sort of thing, but the only problem I'm having is finding something more local, since I'm on a student budget and in full time education travelling to the US is not really an option, as much as I would like it to be and I love those shows. I love his work, I'm getting into reading a few of his contemporaries as well, which is a useful experience.
    Me and my family have been going to Stratford -Upon- Avon (Shakespeare's homeland, so to speak) since 2008, when I was lucky enough to see my favourite actor playing Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company.
    I also saw a touring company performing Macbeth in the grounds of an old house near where we live, with the female roles played by male actors and I loved it. Strange that I understood the charecters better when they were played by men, which I didn't think would happen at all.
    Ooops I'm rambaling :/.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    <
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Love the Ren Faire :drinker: My boyfriend and I are going to the Bristol Renaissance in Wisconsin this Sunday. We have Faire garb...but have never been brave enough to wear it there, although more people are dressed in 'costume' then not!!!! I love all the people in Steampunk clothes too! So much fun!! Can't wait!

This is the first year I don't get to go to that this year!!! Great place!!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not a member or anything, but love ren faires! My favorite has been the Shrewesbury Faire out at King's Valley, Oregon. The jousting games were awesome!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    We have the Northern California Ren Faire that is held in Gilroy, Ca each year. I haven't been yet, but my daughter and I are going this year. I can't wait to go and show off my inner wench! I have a lot of friends who belong to various guilds.
    We also have a Pirate Festival that is held each year. It was actually in the Guinness book of world records for the largest gathering of pirates a couple of years back.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well since we are posting pics. These were taken at last years NY Ren Faire and I had lost about 25 pounds (I have since lost about 80)...

My wife as a pirate queen (Mistress of the pirate sloop The Lying *kitten*):
    pookieren.jpg

And myself as her first mate:
    me.png

I will pop on some pics of me in my new leather armor tomorrow
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Hi There... I'm in the Zamoras Bellydance Guild.... Shows at 12 noon and 3;30 I started in 1999, and continued until May 2007. When my Dad died I lost my internal fire to continue with it. I haven't been participating for the last 4 years.

I actually haven't dance in one since March 2008. The last one was a pirate fair as a fire gypsy. I have also been a member of the Fire Mystics Elite Group. Torches, Fans, Trays, Staff. Was learning Poi...
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a SCAdian in remission. Not sure if I'll go back - most of my friends locally have left the game and its just not the same.
    Armiger of the West Kingdom, member of the order of the Silver Drakkar, citizen of the Barony of Stormhold, Kingdom of Lochac.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    We go at least once a year, and then use any other excuse to dress. Sometimes, we like to dress and just go downtown to hit the bars. We do a piratical theme, and as far as changes from weight loss, the only negative I have to say is that my $350 custom made steel boned corset no longer fits. It was measured to take my waist down to a 36, and without any help at all I'm at a 34. Bittersweet. I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be at a steady enough weight to buy a new one, but for now I'm making do with a cheapy faux-leather corset.
    We're based in Colorado, and hoping to join up with a guild once the mini-wenches are old enough to allow us grown-up time. For now, we just do at least one weekend as a full family trip, and one as adults only.

IMG_1227.jpg

awww, rennie babies! <3
    these are my rennie babies:

renniebabies.jpg

You guys are awesome!
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I want to know how to join a guild because I am totes up for that! LARPing just seems like a perfect fit for me, ever since watching labyrinth when I was a kid ^.^ I do go to the Renaissance faire's whenever they are in town though and oogle all of the amazingly dressed folks.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I want to know how to join a guild because I am totes up for that! LARPing just seems like a perfect fit for me, ever since watching labyrinth when I was a kid ^.^ I do go to the Renaissance faire's whenever they are in town though and oogle all of the amazingly dressed folks.

Well the official wenches guild is www.wench.org.

Other then that there is the pirates guid, barbarian guild, etc etc.

The original wenches guild was started as a lark by Lars Lunde of Lundegaard productions back around 1991/92 and it exploded. They are now at just about every major faire and are worldwide. You get a numbered pewter pin (your wench number), kiss cards, the Little Brown Book of Wenching, and so on. I believe they are approaching 5,000 members. Those wenches lucky enough to have joined way back when have hot cast bronze pins instead of pewter- pewter cast pins began around pin #275 or so. My understanding in wench lore bronze holders are treated like minor royalty, if you are a two digit holder you are treated like major royalty and if you are one of "The Nine" holding single digit you are basically a goddess. My wife is Pin #2 and when we visited Bristol Faire a few years ago the local wench guild went spastic when they discovered "Pin 2" was on site. Quite humorous...

SO if you are interested in joining a guild you can look at the guilds on http://www.lundegaard.com/catalog/

ANyway here are some pics of yesterday- first me in my custom made, full on dragon scale armor (I got tons of requests for pictures and had my arms around more hard bodied co-eds then I ever though possible) - its leather armor with a chainmail war kilt. The second pic is my wife in her high end barbarian garb carrying the sword I made for her years ago.

Full kit:
    fulldragon.jpg

Close-up of chainmail war kilt (airflow was superb):
    chainkilt.jpg

The wife unit:
    lindaren.jpg
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Well I'm not a rennie per se but I am an amateur historical (ly accurate) re-enactor. 11-12th century, mostly combat.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    We have a huge SCA community here in my area. I've never gone but my husband and his best friend have gone quite a bit. I'm curious about it but SO NERVOUS to go, lol.

I did google up Ren Faires and didn't realize we had one so close! So I plan on checking it out later this year. :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

ANyway here are some pics of yesterday- first me in my custom made, full on dragon scale armor (I got tons of requests for pictures and had my arms around more hard bodied co-eds then I ever though possible) - its leather armor with a chainmail war kilt. The second pic is my wife in her high end barbarian garb carrying the sword I made for her years ago.

The wife unit:
    lindaren.jpg

This is awesome. I wanna be you when I grow up.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were at the Bristol Renaissance yesterday. It's our third summer going there but our first dressing in Faire attire! We were in your basic halloween shop costumes, Lord and Lady. But while we were there my BF bought a kilt (sexy!!!!!), white billowy shirt and leather merchant pouch. So it looks looks like I'm gonna have to step up my game with my Faire apparel next year too! We had so much fun! It's become a yearly event for us! If you haven't gone and have one near you....check it out, it's a great party!
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Mmmm...kilts. One of my BFFs has a gig fitting guys for kilts at faire. That has got to be the BEST job EVAR, let me just say. :D She's usually able to convince them to remove their shirts for a proper fitting, too. I go to visit her every chance I can during the faire day, hah!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...kilts. One of my BFFs has a gig fitting guys for kilts at faire. That has got to be the BEST job EVAR, let me just say. :D She's usually able to convince them to remove their shirts for a proper fitting, too. I go to visit her every chance I can during the faire day, hah!

NICE! :wink:
  • muggs1090
    muggs1090 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MN Ren Fest is my home faire! Starts in 9 days, not that I'm counting down or anything. Wishing my outfits were to big but alas, this is not the case. I go every weekend to fest, my partner and I are part of out Fest Friends community. Hoping to convert to a nice cooler belly dancing outfit for those really warm days, gives me something to shoot for for next year. Anyways Hazzah!!
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Ahh, I'm jealous that yours starts so soon! I have nearly a MONTH to wait....it's killing me! :D