At what age did you start worrying about "brands"

Options

Replies

• Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When I had to start buying my own crap! Actually, it was when I got out of high school. If you weren't wearing the name brand stuff people talked about you. I do make sure that my tennis shoes and my kids tennis shoes are name brand but I think its because I like them more. And I buy most of my bras at Victorias Secret because I love them.

My ex sister in law STILL cares about the name, if my mom buys them walmart clothes, she won't let them wear it. It has to be Justice, Old Navy, Aeropostale (or however you spell it). As long as my kids are in clean, nice clothes, I don't care where they came from, I get most of my compliments on clothes I bought for myself at the thrift store.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My kids were around 8, they didnt get though! If they wanted something that they didnt actually need they had to buy it themselves. If they needed new trainers/jeans etc and wanted a "brand" they had to stump up the difference, if I agreed they could have them. I remember 1 of them wanted nikes, they were 3 times the price that i'd pay usually but the nikes were only leather trim as opposed to full leather for the cheaper ones...I said no. Yeah, mean mummy!

They are all well adjusted kids/young adults with a real sense of value now so I don't think I got it wrong.
  • mrsdamr
    mrsdamr Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have two girls - almost 11 and almost 8. My older one became very "store" specific about a year or so ago - the younger one followed suit. 5 is young, but not, when you consider what goes on in the schools. I wish our schools had uniforms - as that would "prevent" some of the branding, but when others are wearing Juicy.... it gets noticed.

I've tried to explain to my girls that they are better off buying clothing that fits and looks good on them, regardless of store - as if it fits and looks nice -no one will care!!!! My girls have always been well dressed - and I didn't spend allot - sales, coupons.... it is getting harder though, as I'm starting to lose the argument.....
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've never and still don't care about brands. That's one thing I actually thank my parents for. If I like something, I'll wear it. I don't care if it came from walmart, or some higher end store. Sure there are certian brands I do like, but I could care less where my stuff actually comes from. My son is the same way. I gave him money to go clothes shopping and offered to drop him off at the mall, he said "meh, lets just go to walmart".
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I never cared about brands, still never do. I'm 28 and when I was a preteen, only one or two kids around me were ridiculously brand-aware. It gets worse year by year both for kids and adults. For adults, in most cases it turns into a clique that makes people feel special or belong to a higher socioeconomic status, it's a sad compensation. Sorry if it offends anyone but I don't see any other reasonable explanation.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My daughter was the same way with Sketchers "twinkle toes"...uuugghhh! She HAD to have them...I would only buy them on clearence. Good thing was they only went to size 3 1/2, so once her feet were too big she got over it. Now she is like me and goes straight to the sale and clearance racks. However, she is only 8 so I have a feeling it won't last forever!

I think I was in the 4th grade when Keds started to become popular. I begged and begged for a pair. I think I ended up getting the cheap pair from KMart! LOL! Of course everyone knew because they didn't have the little blue label on the heels! I survived.
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    unfortunately thats the norm these days. when my daughter was that age and wanted something that i felt was too expensive (brand name) she had to earn at least part of the money for it. at five she could feed the dog/ help clear the table after supper/ do a few things to help me and earn some money to put toward it and when she had a certain amount (something we agreed on) she could get it. i think it helped her realize the cost of having something that everyone else has and as she got older she realized she didnt need to be like everyone else.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started with certain things about age 7 or 8. I remember friends having jordache jeans and jordache purses that I wanted too.

It stopped by age 15.
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went to Catholic school until seventh grade so it really did not matter, but started public school in eight so about that time. But then, I still did not have a specific brand. My daughter who is 12 years old has not gone there yet, shes more tom-boy like and absolutely hates shopping ( = Hope shes changed a little before we go back to school shopping LoL
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER cared about brands
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    By the time i cared, I babysat and bought the stuff myself.

The thing is she has a pair of new-ish nikes in perfect condition. Until things get straightened out, it's going to be hard to justify.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I remember being ten and wanting 'Keds looney toon sneakers'. All the cool kids had them. Anyone remember those?
  • katertot75
    katertot75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brands became important to me in 6th and 7th grade. In elementary school I didn't need name brand shoes. I liked my keds with the little charms on them. By middle school everyone was into stores like GAP and Aeropostale. When my town got an Old Navy we all went bananas just to have t-shirts and jeans. I think middle school is a decent age - thats when you're starting to come into yourself. My daughter (age 6) loves Sketchers (Twinkle Toes and her Bella Ballarina's) but I completly blame that on Nikelodeon commercials.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on kids - far from it. But, I think this is a time to discuss the socaial reasons why she wants Sketchers

Don't just go out and buy them because she demands them and you feel some kind of guilt. The fact you have bought Nike shows she may be testing the water - pushing her luck.

Have a perfectly adult discussion about how there is nothing wrong with her friends wanting brands and absolutely nothing wrong with having none brand names and other things are important - like how fast you can run in them and come to a decision together.

From having been a child at one point I think the main thing to spot as a parent is when you see a situation where their is a need to have a brand - if you don't the kid will be scarred for life - and when it is just the default and doesn't really matter
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    lol well my fiance will be getting her the darned things. He thinks it's important for her self esteem.

I think this is a LONG road ahead! lol
    You need to tell him that you get self esteem through what you personally achieve and not through what is given to you. If he wants to book her self-esteem, have her do something to earn the Sketchers. Small, age-appropriate chores for a couple weeks or something.

I also agree with the post above mine.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Never. My mom would buy me Coach/Dooney & Bourke purses, jewelry from Tiffany's and I have always preferred a $4 necklace or bracelet from Forever 21! :laugh:

I have a *kitten* ton of clothes and jewelry because I am a bargain shopper and would prefer something cute and cheap over expensive and ugly!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have never thought twice about brand names. Growing up I had Plain Pocket Jeans, Converse was the real only gym shoe until the late 70's and I got a pair from K-Mart that were Blue with 3 white stripes and the toe and heel wrapped up. Don't even remember their name..so I guess even today I don't look for a name only comfort.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't care about brands till I was 15 and had my own job and could afford to buy the stuff....before that my mom chose where I could shop...5 is really young though and the speed that they grow outta stuff....tell her when she has a job she can buy as many pairs of sketchers as she wants.....
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up it was all about having a fresh pair of J's (Jordans) I think I was about 8 or so
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    If it fits and its comfortable, I'll wear it. My boys don't seem to care about that stuff. If they start caring, they can get whatever their heart desires with the earnings from their jobs. ;)