At what age did you start worrying about "brands"

Options

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I still dont. Never had a pair of jeans more famous than Levis, never had a purse/bag more famous than Walmart, never had cosmetics/haircare more famous than Walamart carries, never had a designer dress, top, coat, etc. No reason to spend extra to impress someone one, I'm just not that vain.

Bought my first pair of Skechers shoes a year or so ago becuase I got them bogo1/2 at Rack Room when buying shoes for my daughter. Bought another exact same kind the other day for the same reason.

Brands are one thing but skincare is another. Don't buy your beauty products from walmart, they are terrible for your hair and skin. If you can't afford the real stuff wash with hand soap, unscented. You'll be doing your skin a favor.
    As far as I know Wal-Mart carries a pretty big range of skin- and hair-care products. What is "the real stuff"? Salon brands?

That's true. I guess I automatically think of suave and pantene and other similar crap. Read the ingredients, mostly. Lots of bargain brands contain sulfates, silicones, other waxes and drying alcohols (not all alcohols are created equally). You also want to stay away from parabens and artificial colors. If you buy hair stuff at walmart buy it from the salon there, manufacturers of salon products don't sell to chain stores they come off a black product market. It's also important to use the right product for your skin/hair. You might think it's just dry when it's actually very damaged and moisture won't help. You might get better color results with certain products, etc. Skincare there can be sketchy so read the ingredients. Some of the makeup is okay; again, read the ingredients just like you would at the grocery store.
  • stylistchik
    Options
    I still dont. Never had a pair of jeans more famous than Levis, never had a purse/bag more famous than Walmart, never had cosmetics/haircare more famous than Walamart carries, never had a designer dress, top, coat, etc. No reason to spend extra to impress someone one, I'm just not that vain.

Bought my first pair of Skechers shoes a year or so ago becuase I got them bogo1/2 at Rack Room when buying shoes for my daughter. Bought another exact same kind the other day for the same reason.

Brands are one thing but skincare is another. Don't buy your beauty products from walmart, they are terrible for your hair and skin. If you can't afford the real stuff wash with hand soap, unscented. You'll be doing your skin a favor.
    As far as I know Wal-Mart carries a pretty big range of skin- and hair-care products. What is "the real stuff"? Salon brands?

I've used Suave shampoo and mousse my whole adult life and I buy it from Walmart. I also buy SoftSoap (and the generic if I can find it), non-anti-bacterial. My skin is soft, I get compliments on my hair daily from complete strangers. And I'm not drowning in debt to be clean.

Same as fitness: healthy-looking does not always equal healthy.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was in grade 7 and wanted a GAP sweater so bad. Never got one.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

I've used Suave shampoo and mousse my whole adult life and I buy it from Walmart. I also buy SoftSoap (and the generic if I can find it), non-anti-bacterial. My skin is soft, I get compliments on my hair daily from complete strangers. And I'm not drowning in debt to be clean.
    Walmart is the only place I've ever bought skin care products and people always compliment me on my skin and how young I look. However, I don't have to work so I rarely wear makeup unless I go out. Maybe my skin looks better because I don't put a bunch of crap on it. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So, I have barely a single wrinkle at 35 years old (nearly 36), I have not a single split end (even before I just cut 12 full inches off of my hair), my hair and skin are actually not healthy at all? Good to know. What would be the test to prove that my hair and skin are unhealthy?

I also don't get pimples except once in a great while, and then only one that's barely noticeable. My skin is neither dry nor oily.
  • stylistchik
    Options

Walmart is the only place I've ever bought skin care products and people always compliment me on my skin and how young I look. However, I don't have to work so I rarely wear makeup unless I go out. Maybe my skin looks better because I don't put a bunch of crap on it. :)

That's a good possibility!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

So, I have barely a single wrinkle at 35 years old (nearly 36), I have not a single split end (even before I just cut 12 full inches off of my hair), my hair and skin are actually not healthy at all? Good to know. What would be the test to prove that my hair and skin are unhealthy?
    Stylists like gettting people to buy overpriced crap. She won't be objective.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I was in 4th grade. One of my friends got Abercrombie shorts and I HAD TO HAVE ALL OF THEIR CLOTHES. Sadly, my mother was like, "okay~!" and I dressed like a tramp until high school. It was always a competition between the girls as to who could have more Abercrombie and Hollister. AE, Aero, etc. were all "lesser" brands that we looked down on. Once I finally got to HS, I realized how dumb I looked and toned it down.

God, we were cruel :( Definitely not proud of those moments. I look at kids today and I'm SHOCKED at what they are wearing. I keep telling myself that if I ever have a daughter, she is not going to be dressing like she's 20 when she's 10.
  • rml_16
    Options

She's a stylist? That explains a lot. I won't argue this one, then. No point.

(Duh! I guess I should look at screen names ...)
  • stylistchik
    Options

If you had 12 inches of hair to cut, you had split ends. Most people only ever work with their own hair (maybe their children's too) so they have no gauge to what is healthy and what is not. I have yet to encounter someone who uses cheap products and has nice hair. They day it happens I'll tell the world, and possibly quit my job. LOL It sounds like you've taken care of yourself though and that's good. There are other side effects from emulsifiers and preservatives in products like hormone disruption so please continue to read labels, or just cross that bridge when it comes I guess.
  • rml_16
    Options

If you had 12 inches of hair to cut, you had split ends. Most people only ever work with their own hair (maybe their children's too) so they have no gauge to what is healthy and what is not. I have yet to encounter someone who uses cheap products and has nice hair. They day it happens I'll tell the world, and possibly quit my job. LOL It sounds like you've taken care of yourself though and that's good. There are other side effects from emulsifiers and preservatives in products like hormone disruption so please continue to read labels, or just cross that bridge when it comes I guess.

I did not have split ends. Sorry, sweetheart, but you're wrong.
  • stylistchik
    Options

She's a stylist? That explains a lot. I won't argue this one, then. No point.

(Duh! I guess I should look at screen names ...)

Yeah, you're right. I'm a stylist and also majoring in chemistry. Thanks for the judgement.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I remember here in the UK there were shoes called Magic Steps that a lot of the girls had in primary school - they were popular because they had little rhinestones on. It was hard to get me out of my trainers though so I don't think I was clamouring for a pair, but they were the thing to have among 5 year old girls at the time. Wasn't the brand, it was just coz they were pretty I think!
  • stylistchik
    Options

I did not have split ends. Sorry, sweetheart, but you're wrong.

I would LOVED to have seen it then. Completely honest I love seeing healthy hair because it's so rare. I've never seen someone with hair past their shoulders without split ends so it would be like finding the crown jewel! Do you have any pics?
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 7 and is going into the 2nd grade this fall. Let me tell you, he is CONCERNED. This year he specifically asked for Nike instead of Skechers (warning: they are expensive and fall apart quickly, anyway). I bit the bullet and bought him his first pair of Nike EVER. They're electric blue with green laces - I'd probably rock 'em if I could. I thought it would end there, but he needed new glasses too. He wanted Ray-Ban frames. He hit a major growth spurt, so he's now in adult size glasses. Glasses + shoes = $300+. I would not budge on Target shirts or nameless polos, though. Sorry, kid.

It's a sad fact of our society. Kids are dealing with a LOT more than we did as kids. I was surprised that he was so aware of things like this at 7.
  • rml_16
    Options

I would LOVED to have seen it then. Completely honest I love seeing healthy hair because it's so rare. I've never seen someone with hair past their shoulders without split ends so it would be like finding the crown jewel! Do you have any pics?

On my profile -- old and new hair.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I went to a catholic school with uniforms (yes I still have it and no it does not fit, but it will eventually) and I never had to put up with this crap. That was the only awesome thing about going to a school with uniforms. I already didn't fit in (too tall and too chubby) and clothes would have made it worse because I couldn't afford brand names. I am not really a brand name sort of person. I think it fades in importance once you are out of school. Now, I only care about a brand name if it means it is a quality product. For example, I buy Nike shoes because I know they are well made shoes. I buy Clarks for the same reason. I try to buy well made clothes, but brand really does not matter. I do have a few brands I like, but that is because they always have a quality product.

My kids love brand name clothes (my oldest son especially), but they know that we can't afford it. So while they may wear off brand clothes, we do buy them reasonably priced and well made brand name shoes. Clothes on kids are disposable because they are always growing, but a good shoe that lasts for 6 months with teenage boys is a good value to me.

I have raised my kids to not be followers. I always tell them if they whine about brand names that I did not raise them to be a sheep to society's whims. I wish you luck with your daughter because I went through the same thing with my oldest too. I compromised on shoes personally for my son, but I hate the idea of getting her the shoes because "everyone else has them."
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I remember being devastated that my mom could not afford guess jeans back in the 80's, And how excited I was to get a pair of LA Gear brats in the early 90's

I grew up in hand me downs mostly and always preferred to wear my own style. Not what everyone else was wearing.
    Now days I still mostly wear vintage and random pieces that make up my own style.

When it comes to jeans, I like Joe's and Blue cult..because they fit. I NEVER pay full price for them. :)

sometimes it comes down to quality over quantity. I spend $$ on nice bras and underwear. (Cosabella and Wacoal)
    Not Victorias Secret garbage that falls apart.

I do most of my clothes shopping t thrift stores... I do not pay attention to brands so much.
  • stylistchik
    Options

I was really excited. :-(
  • rml_16
    Options

I was really excited. :-(

Seriously? Now you're just being obtuse to try to make yourself look good.