Those who have lost weight using MFP, how'd you do it?

Options

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP aggressively, wishing to lose 2 pounds a week which put me on 1200 cal a day. I try to work out every day, 30d shred but recently missed a few days. I calculated my TDEE and it looks like if I take 20% off I should be eating around 1850-1900 cal a day including exercise. I try not to eat back my exercise calories and stay around 1500 a day. I may be drinking too much wine:) I don't usually eat junk (chips, etc.) just don't like it, too salty for me but I like chicken with the skin on. MFP is very helpful as just now I am starting to realize that short term goals are better, watching what I eat is easier now. So I understand that the 30-35 pounds I need to lose can take 6 months, not 6 weeks and I am fine with that while before I would freak out and go on a killer diet:) Not now.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on Calorie goal, thats a no no, if that was the case, by the end of the day people that see the need to reach a certain number my run to Taco Bell just to get there numbers. That is not what you want to do. What you need to focus on is Protein, carbs, and fats in sizes of grams. Focusing on those three will pretty much take care of your calorie goal without you worrying about it. I dont know what your weight is so I couldn't tell you what your daily amount should be like. You want to lose fast, include weight training in your workouts. Building muclse, even just a small amount will help you burn a lot faster and lose. Like the guy i workout with who is a professional body builder always says, "You can run to death like those same people on the threadmill everyday, but they never get the results they want." Pretty much weight training is the key...Some advice...
    I focus on calories only and have had great success.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Figure out your macros and hit them daily.

1g protein per lean pound.
    .35-.70g fat per lean pound.
    If its a workout day hit the low number and if its a rest day hit the high number.

Fill the rest of your cals with carbs.

I've done 100s of numbers and found that most women 5'2" and above need appx 1600+ cals on a 3x a week routine.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs and now have gained 10 lean pounds since reaching my loss goal.

What I did is simple, if you are proficient in math. Use calories eaten and burned through exercise, and weight loss rate to solve for non-exercise daily burn. Using this infomation to set custom calorie targets and strive to hit those targets as close to exact as reasonable (and 1g protein per lb LBM when losing, per lb bodyweight when gaining). Does this mean occasionally eating a bunch of chocoalte to bring up my calories, or purosely eating a small dinner and fasting the rest of the night, you betcha..

I am not interested in gaining or losing, I strive to gain or lose at precisely the rate I plan to do so at, and I was very successful at this, and didn't have to deal with typical dieter problems like scale fear or worry if things aren't working, or use poor estimating technique like playing it safe, or not couting exercise calories. Things went and go exactly according to plan. The 3 times that I had weight loss stall, I knew for certain it was because my deficit was too big (all 3 times it happened I was expecting it to happen) and within a week I raised my calorie intake and fixed the problem.

The other thing is that this allows you to see how you metabolsim changes over time, week to week and month to month (it is NOT constant), which is interesting to watch and also useful to track so you know when it is time to take a break, that your metabolism is adapting to the deficit, something you don't want to happen.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My Journey
    2/27/12 started with myfitnesspal at 146 pounds eating 1000 calories a day

5/25/12 weighing in at 128.8 increased my calories to 1100 a day

6/8/12 weighing in at 126.4 increased my calories to 1200 a day

7/6/12 weighing in at 124.8 increased my calories to 1300 a day

7/20/12 weighing in at 124.6 increased my calories to 1400 a day

8/3/12 weighing in at 124.4 increased my calories to 1500 a day

I keep a record of every increase I've made and the above is my journey, hope it helps, I am now trying to find my maitenance level as I do not want to lose anymore

6/11/12 started doing 20 lunges to tone my legs every day but one

6/13/12 started doing arm lifts 3 sets of 10 every other day

I walk about 25 minutes 4 times a week
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    1) 1800 calories a day on average
    2) HIIT CV
    3) Heavy weight lifting

As to what kind of food, I eat anything but a tendency towards chicken and fresh vegetables. My focus is on a long term plan and lifestyle rather than a quick fix.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I started with 1,200 calories a day (thanks MFP). I didn't lose a single tenth of a pound of weight. My husband was dropping like crazy. I was devastated.

After a few months, I went through two weeks where I wasn't tracking very well, or going over and not caring. I would be around 1,500 calories a day. After two weeks passed I weighed myself and had lost 4 pounds.

So I set my calories to 1,425 and started doing 30 Day Shred, followed by Ripped.... spring came and I started bike riding, progressively doing longer and longer rides.

Now I'm roughly about 5 pounds from "goal" weight, although I currently care a lot less about that and more about building my strength for a bike tour next month. I eat 1,600 calories, don't obsess about other macros (except long ride days, then I actually focus more on my protein), and I will never eliminate foods that I love. I refuse.

Yes, this includes all sorts of "bad" things like wine and fast food on occasion. Oh well. Life goes on. It works for me, and that's all I'm worried about.
  • JJShotz
    JJShotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My plan was pretty simple exercise daily (usually just simple walking/light jogging), stick to my calorie goal (2lbs per week loss), and watching my sodium intake. Cardio was the key and simple strength training to tighten up.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1830.

I lost weight by:

-increasing calories
    -increasing water intake
    -portion control

My goal was to lose 8 pounds, I lost 10.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie goal, what sort of exercise did you do, what did your diet include/not include? Hw much did you lose in how much time? Thanks:) I need some motivation right now.

My current calorie goal is 1700. It's a few hundred below maintenace for me because I still have 10 - 15 pounds to lose.
    I run 2 - 3 miles a day and then do a Jillian Michaels DVD (30DS, RI30, KB&T, NMTZ)
    My diet includes everything I ate before I got my head out of my @ss and realized how fat I was. I just eat less and move more.
    I've lost 35 pounds in 7 months.

Most importantly - I have an awesome group of friends on this site that challenge me and keep me motivated every damn day. Without them I would have failed. Seeing my friends work their @sses off and make progress makes me happy so I figure I should return the favor.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What percentage do you recommend for carbs, protein, and fat?

Most people do 40-30-30. I have mine set at 40-35-25 and really try to stick with it, though if I'm planning on an intense workout I purposely go higher on my protein.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight counting calories I used a similar site, but not this one. I lost 50 pounds (and maintained for the last 3 years) simply by tracking calories in and calories out and starting to pay attention to nutrition.

This time around I'm here to lose a bit more and the good nutrition habits are already there. I'm tracking the calories in and out again and losing slowly but steadily. I don't worry about my carb to fat to protein ratios, but when I check over my diary, they seem to fall into a perfectly accpetable range.

I've never been bothered about having the "perfect" body, acheiving a specific fitness goal, or having defined mucle-y type goals. For me, its just about general health and feeling good.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Don't make it too difficult. What has worked for me was calorie counting and exercise. Do I also monitor my fat, carbs, protein, etc? Yes, but I don't go crazy about those numbers. I don't do low carb, it doesn't work for me. In my opinion, this has to be a lifestyle change to work, and that's what I've done.

Yep! This--TOTALLY AGREE!

^^THIS--agree 100%!! You can always tweak and fine-tune things once you get going, but just focus on moving your body and eating healthier to get started. What I did was do a mix of weight training and cardio, eat around 2000 calories total, and get plenty of protein (100-150 gms). I did not watch my carbs, fat, sugar, or sodium to begin with, and still lost weight easily. Now that I'm closer to my goal, I'm finding that I have to watch all those other factors, but sometimes its' just too overwhelming at first. Make small changes that you can maintain. Don't make this into a "diet"--start changing your lifestyle a little bit at a time. You'll get there!! :flowerforyou:

Oh--and drink plenty of water!! :drinker:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own way of doing things but here is what worked for me:

My SW 179, CW 138 GW 125 I started MFP Jan 11, 2012

I started logging my food, everything.

I started walking and logging it then set a goal to walk 1,000 miles for St. Judes this year. I've reached 650 miles walked/jogged/biked and hiked so far!

I saw how poorly I was eating (calories, sodium and fat) and started eating healthier foods.

I started to see results and was even more inspired.

I started searching the forums for infor, tips and adding awesome friends on here who have supported me unconditionally! I don't know what I'd do without them getting me off my *kitten* when I dont want to move, etc.

I started water aerobics at the YWCA.

I started C25K

I got fitted for an awesome pair of Brooks running shoes. :)

I broke my big toe and foot and quit running.

I started biking and doing water aerobics at home.

I've lost 41lbs this way and with 13lbs left to lose, I've added the goals of eating fewer carbs, eating more protein, less sugar and to do more weight training to reach my goal.

Oops! Editing to answer your food question. I cut out fatty meats, most fried stuff because my stomach cant handle it anymore, added tons of fresh veggies to lunch and dinner ( aim for 1 part protein/2 parts veggies and a few carbs), I'm no longer eating anything canned or boxed because I'm on a sodium restricted diet (HBP) and they put me over the top. I also only eat Crunchy Fresco tacos at taco bell, turkey subs at subway and when I go out for dinner I'll ask for any sauce to be on the side. I do have unhealthy stuff (including ice cream, snickers blizzards, cake, etc) once in a while so I don't have cravings.

I consider it a lifestyle change and not a DIET. If you call it a diet, you feel deprived and it will seem like it's a temporary thing. I think it's all about changing habits to healthier ones and eating within your 'means'. If you don't change your habits, you'll go right back to gaining weight once you reach goal!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I should add - I go for 1200-1300 calories on weekdays and 1800ish on Saturdays. I might go over a bit on Sundays and Fridays as well, depending.

I'm mostly sednetary but try to get 30 minutes of SOMEthing in on weekdays and often on weekends I'll do long hikes or bike rides.

I end up avergaing about 1450 per day this way.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    What percentage do you recommend for carbs, protein, and fat?

When I started I did 50c/30p/20f, but I have tweaked it several times and now I'm pretty much settled at 40c/30p/30f--it seems like a comfortable way to eat for me, and the slightly higher fat intake seems to keep me feeling fuller than I was previously. Unless you have some sort of medical problem, there's no reason to go drastically low-carb. Just find a reasonable macro split that appeals to you--you can always change it up later.
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    My philosophy has been to make it as easy on myself as possible. I try to stay under the calorie limit MFP set for me, and that's it. I don't worry about macros or sodium or sugar or eating "clean". I eat a decent source of protein in every meal, not because I'm trying to hit some magic number, but because a meal generally isn't satisfying without it. I know I like to eat late at night, so I ignore all the talk about big breakfasts and light dinners, and save a bunch of calories for my late dinner. If I'm really hungry some day, I eat more, and I don't fret about going over. If I really want candy, I get candy. Same with fast food. I don't stress about it, or punish myself the next day, I just keep in mind that it cannot be a daily occurrence.

For exercise I've just been walking (but long walks, up to 2 hours) and doing basic body weight exercises like squats and push-ups. You're probably much smaller than me though, so more vigorous activities are probably a better use of your time.

So far I've lost 24 lbs in just over two months. It hasn't been difficult at all, and I see nothing to make me think I can't stick with MFP's plan for the next year or so it will take to get to a healthy weight, which is a vastly different experience than the other two times I've tried to lose weight in my life. Making it simple and flexible gives me easy sustainability, which I think is far more important than faster results or nutritional perfection.

Wow! Sounds like me. I'm a bike person though, with an average of 6-8 miles of walking on the weekend. So far I lost 20lbs since I faithfully started using MFP in May.
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I started a year ago, my calorie goal was 1690. I'm now down to 1440. I have a sedentary lifestyle which means that I work at a desk job and do not expend much energy on a daily basis doing day to day activities. When I first started I did not change anything in the way that I ate. I did that for the first week simply to see how far away from my calorie goal I was. as weeks went by I changed little things in my daily food intake. for instance. I changed from sugar in my coffee to splenda (yes I know some people will tell you to stay away from sweetners that they are bad for you, and I somewhat agree being that i'm allergic to Aspertame however, for now, for "me" Splenda works), I also cut out soft drinks, and juice.

The big thing that helped me was tracking everything.(i don't track mints, gum, or condiments like Ketchup or mustard), but everything else. I I've been doing it dilligently since the start, I haven't missed a day of tracking and for me, this is what has allowed me to become very much aware of what I was putting in my mouth and slowly I began to make better choices.

Also, what really does help, is to pay attention to the label on foods, and to the recomended portion. Stick to the recomended portion. For example, if you're having saltines with a bowl of soup. the brand that I use recomends a portion of 7 crackers for 70 calories. I count out 7 crackers and that is all I will eat. seperating your food into the appropriate portion helps you become more aware of what you a portion looks like as opposed to what we as north americans tend to think of as portions *LOL*.

I, myself, did not exercise at tall until about 6 months in my journey, but then I started walking. one hour a day. at first i was rather slow walking about 2.5 or 3MPH, but now I tend to stick around 3.5MPH and walk 90 minutes every day. But exercising is up to you. On the brightside, if you feel like you don't have enough calories in your daily tracker to feel full and not hungry, then I suggest that you do excersise at least a little as it will provide you with more calories to play with.

Also, don't put any pressure on yourself. There will be weeks where your weight will fluctuate and even go up. This is normal because there will be days where you are retaining more water then others, and if you did excersise your muscles will be inflamed and take in more water, and also, you will be building muscle and muscle is heavier then fat. So don't worry. And if you have days where you are over your goal don't panic. just keep an eye on your Weekly goal and if you are under there, chances are you've been good every other day and can afford to indulge a little.

and finally, Don't stop eating the foods that you love. it's ok to have that occasional twinkie, or Bigmac. I still have my favorite foods every once in a while. The trick is not to deprive yourself. If you feel like having something have it. Just plan in consequence. For example: If I know that tonight we're going to chinese buffet. I'll have a smaller breakfast and lunch and maybe walk a little longer to conteract the extra calories from the big meal at diner. and If i'm still over by a little bit. That's ok too because, I've been good the rest of the week. see what I mean.

OOuf. I didn't mean to ramble on so much. I hope it does help you though.

V.
  • JennifercitaDEgomez
    Options
    For me, it has help me to manage the portions that I was eating....since i thought i was eating healthy, but once i was going over the portions that i was eating, the calories,fat,sodium,sugar were adding MORE AND MORE.....Also before I used to buy whatever brand without looking out for the healthier, now i know even that it could be the same product, but from one brand to another bran, calories would change A LOT,more fat a,sugar etc., and some other have MUCH MORE healthier ingredients....so i love my FITNESS PAL....is one of those friends you can really count on :)

Also being able to track what you eat and see what it the really BAD eating habits we had..But i think one of the important things with all this is to shared it with all of you our daily commitments, our loss that are our big challenges, and sometimes our weakness, but at the end all this make us more strong girls... Is hard to keep eye on the food you are eating, because you tends to "lie" to your self, but no one OUTTHER (outside of myfitnesspal.com) understands what it take to say NO, I CAN NOT EAT THAT, even if your dieing to eat some of that.... but here WE ARE all together fighting for the same goal on MY FITNESS PAL... AND IS GREAT!!!!!!!!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on 6/3.
    Starting Weight: 185
    Goal Weight: 167 (this is my first goal, I'll set a new one when I get there)
    CW: 170

I set my activity level as sedentary, and my goal for 1lb loss per week.

MFP started me with 1480 cals / day.
    I've been exercising on average 4 - 5 times per week, about 30 minutes at a time. I eat back about half of my exercise calories on average - some days I eat them all, some days I don't use them. I do try to net above 1200. I've had some days over calorie goal, but not too many.

When I lost 10 lbs, MFP reduced me to 1440 calories per day. This annoyed me, so I manually set it to 1500. That's comfortable for me, and I was losing a little more than 1lb per week - probably because I'm a little more active than "sedentary."

I've lost 15 lbs in 9 week.

As far as what foods make up my diet, my diary is open, so you can look, but generally:
    -I cook at home most nights, some sort of lean protein, veggie, and starch.
    -I love fruits and veggies, and I eat lots of them.
    -I don't eat a ton of processed or convenience foods, but I do eat some - snack crackers and boxed cereals and stuff. I read labels, particularly looking out for trans fats/ hydrogenated oils.
    -I'm not a huge fast food person, but it does show up on my diary once in a while. I try to look up the nutrition info before I make my selection.
    -I eat pizza once per week. Not. Giving. That. Up.
    -I'm trying to reduce my aspartame habit. I actually drink my coffee unsweetened now, but I can't seem to break my Crystal Light habit (probably 16 - 32 oz per day)
    -I drink wine and beer, but not every night. Just because I'd rather use my calories for something else.
    -I have some sort of sweet treat pretty much every night - usually it's Dove Dark Chocolate, Ice Cream, 321 Cake, or a granola bar. This keeps me from feeling deprived.

This has been the most comfortable weight loss plan I've tried. I do a lot of planning ahead and measuring, but I almost never feel hungry or deprived.