Start running/How to prepare for 5k

Options

Replies

• Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I am currently on W9D3 of C25K. It has taken me a lot longer than 9 weeks, but it has totally been worth it. That's one thing I love about C25K. You can go at your own pace. If you aren't comfortable moving on to the next week, repeat weeks. I'm not a fast runner as I only run 2.15 miles in a 30 minute time period, but I know I can and will improve the more I do it. I highly recommend the program. You can do it! If it can take me from being a couch potato to actually moving my body regularly, then I know it can help others, too. :happy:
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I started out not being able to run for 10 seconds. Couch to 5K changed everything for me!! I am now training for a 10K and run 12-15 miles a week. BEST PROGRAM EVER.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Totally with the others with the c25k programme, it's set-up just right so that the intervals you're running follow on fairly naturally!

Before starting I could barely climb a flight of stairs without being out of breath, now I run regularly - amongst other things!!

You can do this :-D
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
  • Louiyen
    Louiyen Posts: 69
    Options
    I run with the Reebox Realflex. You can go to them shoe running company and they can check how you run and match the perfect shoe for you. In my case, I never did that. My shoes were just trial and error and eventually i'll get use to the shoe and i wouldn't have any issue running with it. I use to run half marathons all the time. My advice would be to do pyramid sets for running. Since you can't quite run a full mile yet, you should start with half a mile. GL and i hope this helps.

mon - half mile
    tues - 1 mile
    wed - half mile
    thurs - mile
    fri - mile

Next week:
    Mon - mile
    tues - mile and half
    wed - mile
    thurs - mile half
    fri - 2 mile.

etc...
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    we are training for a 3k and while we have ran/walked, we have never run a race. It's actually Saturday.

I started by just getting up to the 3k distance, every day I added a little more distance until I reached the distance. Once I had the distance then I slowly started adding speed.

I've also heard running hills will help you train for a run. It'll help you go a little faster on the flat
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Look up the c25k program (www.coolrunnings.com)

Go to a running store and get fitted. It's the only way you'll come away with the right shoe for you!

^^^^This!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ARyding17
    ARyding17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am a pretty good runner but no where near what I would like to be. I finished a 5K a few months ago in 35 min but I was like going to pass out after! I am trying to improve my time and also try and run the whole way.

What I would do is invest in a nice running watch and give yourself around 3 months before the actual 5K.

What I am doing is running for 4 min walking for 2 min for 30 total minutes. As that gets easier I will increase my time running and decrease my time walking. I would recomend doing thus but go slow!

Maybe start running for 1 min walking for 2? Do that 6 days a week for a week or two and than run for 1 min walk for 1 min. Than run for 2 walk for 1.5 min. Kinda just go by what your body is telling you.

I would check out coach to 5K, it is a running plan that is realyl great for startes to start running 5K!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely recommend the c25k program. I couldn't run 30 seconds when I started and just this past Tuesday I ran for 57 minutes. I didn't end up finishing the entire c25k program but it at least got me started down the running road.

As for shoes, the best thing I would recommend doing is find a running specialty store in your area and have them evaluate your run. They'll be able to point you in the right direction shoe wise. If that's not possible to do then do what I did and just try to find a nice name brand pair of running(not cross training) shoes. I got a good pair of reeboks that have been a godsend. I can definitely tell a HUGE difference in my running with these.I hear a lot of rave reviews about Asics too.
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    go to coolrunnings.com They have an awsome couch 2 5k program to get you going.

Agreed 110%. Cool Runnings is amazing.

Also, check out a store like The Running Room for shoes. They will do an assessment of your running style and the way your feet hit the ground in order to get you the best possible shoes for your personal needs. Not sure what kinds of stores you have available but anywhere that does this kind of assessment is tops for me.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    2 1/2 years ago I did the Vancouver Sun Run, which is 10k. I was 436 pounds and had to walk the entire thing. It took me 2 hours and 35 minutes and I was one of the last people on the course, but I finished.

This past year I did it again with my 15 year old son, and over 100 pounds lighter. I used a similar "learn to run 10k" program like the one on cool runnings, and set a goal of finishing the course in under an hour and a half.

I crossed the finish line at 1 hour and 27 minutes.

This is doable. These kind of programs are great, and it may seem impossibly difficult when you first start running, but it gets easier.

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'm going to start running at the end of the month, and going shoe shopping next week. I'd love to see what advice people have.

bump - me too
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I run with the Reebox Realflex. You can go to them shoe running company and they can check how you run and match the perfect shoe for you. In my case, I never did that. My shoes were just trial and error and eventually i'll get use to the shoe and i wouldn't have any issue running with it. I use to run half marathons all the time. My advice would be to do pyramid sets for running. Since you can't quite run a full mile yet, you should start with half a mile. GL and i hope this helps.

mon - half mile
    tues - 1 mile
    wed - half mile
    thurs - mile
    fri - mile

Next week:
    Mon - mile
    tues - mile and half
    wed - mile
    thurs - mile half
    fri - 2 mile.

etc...

I couldn't think of the name of the shoes I have until I saw this post. I have the same shoes. They fit like a glove and the support is amazing!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump...doing my 1st 5K event August 18th so can't wait to see all the tips....
  • nwilson91
    Options
    Hmmm, good question. Shoes really vary per person, I would recommend getting professionally fitted for running shoes.

I'm a former track/cross country guy (though you'd never know it now), and so I know ^This^

But also, I finished the C25K app about 2 weeks ago, and it got me back on my feet (literally); even with the 40lb fat-suit, bad back, bum knee, bad ankles and all.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo everybody else- go download the C25K podcast. It'll have you running non-stop for 30 minutes in nine weeks.

It's such a fantastic program, I'm now training for a 10k myself, and am looking to sign up for my first half marathon sometime in the new year, with a full marathon being on the horizon for a year later. The only thing I would say is that the music can get a bit strange, but it's something easily sorted out by using an app like Runkeeper.

Just be warned, you may get slightly addicted. I've been a bit crazy and just signed up for a 5 mile run in November across hilly terrain with a knee-deep stream to wade across right at the end!

Best of luck!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Here is a podcast that gives you music and verbal cues that follows the coolrunning.com program. Good luck :) I'm starting to train for one, this week.

http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
  • Anthyitis
    Anthyitis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    running is mind over matter, I hear people like couch 2 5k. I would just start getting out there and walk a few minutes run 30 seconds, do this till you can run the whole time.

I agree with this. I prefer to just go out and do what my body feels it can handle, so I don't really care much for C25K. The only benefit that I've had from using it is that it prevents me from ramping up the distance too quickly, which I have found leads to a lot of pain. :(
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Look up the c25k program (www.coolrunnings.com)

Go to a running store and get fitted. It's the only way you'll come away with the right shoe for you!

^^^^This!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yup....
    Started with C25K last summer. I've now done 2 half marathons with plans to do at least two more this year. I've worn Nikes for as long as I can remember and I was fitted with Nike running shoes, which have been great so far.
  • tstella224
    Options
    Definitely use the Couch to 5K program. That is how I started and I enjoy running now and up to over 8 miles. I hope to do a half marathon next year with more training.

As for shoes, it does vary by each individual. I personally love my Asics Gel Fusion shoes. You may want to find a shoe store that will analyze you and fit you properly for the right running shoe