ground turkey recipes

Options
missbrittany23
missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
I need some ideas for ground turkey. I havent been using it that long. Only things ive tried it in are tacos and spagetti. If any one has any thing to share that would be great :)

Replies

• chicbuc1
    chicbuc1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I made ground turkey meatballs and mini meatloafs last night. Just add a little egg and breadcrumbs and seasoning. I baked the meatballs and put them in marinara sauce to eat over spaghetti squash. The mini meatloafs I just put in a little muffin tins and baked them. Eat with a little hot sauce or ketchup on top. Yummy!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Bump bump
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Mix with some salsa and the usual stuff for turkey burgers. The salsa really peps up the flavor!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Make chili !!! :)

Bumpin for more ideas too!
  • Kswiss83
    Kswiss83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    turkey chili, turkey sloppy joes, vegetable beef (turkey) soup, stuffed bell peppers...all very yummy
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks thats a good idea with the meatloaf. I never heard of squash spagetti
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I LOVE turkey chilli haha
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Seriously Good Sante Fe Soup
    4oz 2% Velveeta (from a 1lb package)
    1 can No-salt added Corn (undrained)
    1 can kidney beans (undrained)
    1 can diced tomatoes (I like the ones with peppers or onion)
    1 can stewed tomatoes (We don't like the big tomatoes, so I put them in the food processor)
    1 packet Lawry's taco seasoning (low sodium, but not labeled that way)
    1/2 lb cooked ground lean turkey

Crock pot on low for 3-4 hours.
    Serve with low-sodium Fritos or tortilla chips.

Makes 3 big servings, 486 cal each. (not including chips)
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to mix in spices to flavor the ground turkey like a breakfast sausage. The texture isn't quite right, but its a nice alternative to a greasy sausage patty.
  • ANB22
    ANB22 Posts: 64
    Options
    anyhthing i use ground meats on I will use ground turkey as a sub. My favorite though is seasoned turkey burgers
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I make turkey curry ... brown ground turkey in a pan then add a can of diced garlic tomatoes with italian seasonings, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, diced onion and simmer for 20 mins or so then add curry paste to taste.

You can also use it for Chili with a lot of the same ingredients just add some hot sauce etc. instead of the curry paste.

I love spicy food :bigsmile:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Turkey Meatballs!!
    >>I use carrots and celery with some spices of my choice. - tasty with soy sauce!
    >>I use craisens, cilantro, lime zest with some spices of my choice - tasty with BBQ!

Stuffed Bell Peppers
    >>cilantro, diced tomatoes, southwestern corn, salsa, (black beans a little brown rice if you want too) - tasty with salsa or enchilada sauce

Taco Pie
    >>make your original taco meat like you do for tacos, buy two packages of crescent rolls. Take rolls and use the triangles to make a sun shape(you have to knead together in middle)...put meat in the center of sun (add low-fat cheese if needed). Pull your "sun rays" up to the center and cover all the meat. You can use left over dough to cover the slits or open spaces. Bake with the crescent directions until golden brown. Cut like a pie and serve with your favorite taco toppings.

:) whew!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely anything that you would cook with ground beef works with turkey. Turkey burgers and meatloaf require more seasoning. We've used it for tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, meatballs, chili, burgers, stroganoff.....
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Last night for dinner I made... a low cal taco casserole

Ground turkey mixed with salsa. Layered in a casserole dish with low fat shredded cheddar and topped with crushed tortilla chips. Baked at 350 for 15 minutes.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use it in tons of stuff. Meatloafs, meatballs, spaghetti, tacos.

One of my favorites is to brown it with some fresh mushrooms, garlic, onions and then add a can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup. I serve it over brown rice with veggies. Sometimes I add frozen peas right into the sauce before topping the rice with it.

I like to add light parmesan cheese to my meatballs and meatloaf, as it creates these little pockets of oooey goooey goodness.......

The other thing I've done is bought the low sodium spicy hot taco seasoning, browned the turkey with the seasoning, but then added it to a pita with tomato paste, green peppers, a few jalapeno's, and light tex mex. Then top with some fresh tomato and lettuce and salsa. Taco pizza on a pita!

When i make taco's with it I combine it with some black beans, then use the leftovers for tex mex eggs in the morning.

I'm sure there are other things, but I just can't think of what they are right now.
  • Lexdeze12
    Options
    bump
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I really like adding it to my salad for extra protein/bulk. Usually in the form of leftovers though. Yesterday we had turkey burgers for dinner. I had one, and saved the other for lunch today - I chopped it up and put it in my salad. was really good.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Last night for dinner I made... a low cal taco casserole

Ground turkey mixed with salsa. Layered in a casserole dish with low fat shredded cheddar and topped with crushed tortilla chips. Baked at 350 for 15 minutes.

That sounds delicious!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use turkey for pretty much anything I would use ground beef for. The trick with turkey is SEASONINGS! It absorbs the flavor more. Also, if you can, I would always season the meat before it cooks and if you can let it sit for a couple hours first, even better!

When I make meatloaf/meatballs with turkey I add about 2 tbls of plain greek yogurt (to a pound of turkey) INSTEAD of the traditional egg/breadcrumb route. It keeps it moist and keeps it from falling apart and adds a little bit of protein. You cannot taste the yogurt, I promise!