Music lovers: Original vs. Cover Versions

Options

Replies

• Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    Alone , from heart!! love thoses girls signing,,and there is a young thing signing it too, i c ould care less of her name,, but i faaking hate it,lol gove me the real stoff, not a heart signer wanna be.....
    Trying to decipher what was said in this post made my head hurt.

You know, not everyone speaks English as a first language and let alone writes English perfectly. I understood it perfectly so maybe that's a reflection on your ability to decipher things in general. Don't be so judgemental on a Fitness website. If this was a grammar class I would see your point. Lighten up and have some fun.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call my favorites definitive, but here they are (sorry if some are repeats):

Machinehead--Message in a Bottle
    Gary Jules--Mad World
    Disturbed--Shout
    Chris Cornell--Billy Jean (My brother does a cover of this cover that is pretty cool)
    Otep--Breed
    FFDP--Bad Company
    Alien Ant Farm--Smooth Criminal
    Spineshank--While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Drain STH--Ace of Spades
    Metallica--Whiskey in a Jar (actually, most of the songs on Garage Days)
    Marilyn Manson--Sweet Dreams
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call my favorites definitive, but here they are (sorry if some are repeats):

Gary Jules--Mad World
    Disturbed--Shout
    Chris Cornell--Billy Jean (My brother does a cover of this cover that is pretty cool)
    Otep--Breed
    FFDP--Bad Company
    Spineshank--My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Drain STH--Ace of Spades

Machinehead--Message in a Bottle is an epic cover :-)
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Alone , from heart!! love thoses girls signing,,and there is a young thing signing it too, i c ould care less of her name,, but i faaking hate it,lol gove me the real stoff, not a heart signer wanna be.....

You know, not everyone speaks English as a first language and let alone writes English perfectly. I understood it perfectly so maybe that's a reflection on your ability to decipher things in general. Don't be so judgemental on a Fitness website. If this was a grammar class I would see your point. Lighten up and have some fun.

Yeah!!! you bully!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Song: Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
    Original: The Beatles
    Cover: William Shatner

Also, not to be missed is Bill doing Elton John's Rocket Man.
    Bill does everything better than anyone else so don't even try to say the originals are better. :tongue:
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The Beatles - Come together covered by Aerosmith, I love both versions :)

the MJ version aint bad either
  • Lucie_L00
    Options
    awww poor thing,,and my heart hurt to see there is such sad and so miserable people on the planet who get to make their self feel better just by putting someone else down..... my english may not be perfect enough for you,, but at least i am not a miserable person who makes fun of people who is actually trying another language, i really wish you find peace on that miserable heart of yours,,this is very sad,, oh,, and have a good day sweetheart
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Following your own advice is awesome.
  • thecrass
    Options
    Song - IRON MAN
    By - Black Sabbath
    Cover - ELECTRIC EEL SHOCK

A bit of a crazy Japaneese Metal cover :-) love both but the EES cover is my fave.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Gary Jules--Mad World
    Disturbed--Shout
    Otep--Breed
    FFDP--Bad Company
    Drain STH--Ace of Spades
    Chris Cornell's version of Billy Jean is amazing. That's actually my favorite MJ song, but Cornell takes it to a whole other place.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Song: Whiskey in the Jar
    Original: Irish folk song
    Cover: Metallica

Metallica also covered "Turn the Page," but I like both theirs and the original equally. I almost always prefer original versions, but I like to hear what new twists some artists put on cover tunes.

I think the Thin Lizzy version is the best.

I haven't heard that one...I'll have to check it out!

THats who Metallica was actually covering.

Whiskey in the Jar is actually an OLD Irish song pre Thin Lizzy they just made it popular so there's is actually also a cover.

I know, but I doubt Metallica were familiar with Irish pub songs.
  • thecrass
    Options
    Song - Addicted to Love
    by - Robert Palmer
    Cover - Eagles of Death Metal

Song - High Voltage Rock n Roll
    by - AC/DC
    Cover - Eagles of Death Metal

love the addicted to love cover but much prefer AC/DC's High Voltage.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options

Well my advice to you is the next time you have a thought....let it go :smokin:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Well my advice to you is the next time you have a thought....let it go :smokin:
    Ditto that.

10-4, skull leader out.
  • thecrass
    Options
    Song: Whiskey in the Jar
    Original: Irish folk song
    Cover: Metallica

Metallica also covered "Turn the Page," but I like both theirs and the original equally. I almost always prefer original versions, but I like to hear what new twists some artists put on cover tunes.

I think the Thin Lizzy version is the best.

I haven't heard that one...I'll have to check it out!

THats who Metallica was actually covering.

Whiskey in the Jar is actually an OLD Irish song pre Thin Lizzy they just made it popular so there's is actually also a cover.

I know, but I doubt Metallica were familiar with Irish pub songs.

Fair enough im from an Irish family so its well known, but the guys in Metallica have some crazy tastes in music.
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that 311 cover of "Love Song" is far superior. Another good cover is "In The Air Tonight" by Nonpoint. It's no where as good as Phil's version, but it still gets a nod of approval from me.
  • thecrass
    Options
    Song - Monkey Man
    By - Toots and the Maytails
    Cover - The Specials & also Reel Big Fish

I love all 3 versions in there own special way.
  • thecrass
    Options
    Song - Ring of Fire
    by - Johnny Cash
    Cover - Social Distortion

Love Johnny but the social distortion version gives it some ooommfff
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Gary Jules--Mad World
    Disturbed--Shout
    Otep--Breed
    FFDP--Bad Company
    Drain STH--Ace of Spades

Machinehead--Message in a Bottle is an epic cover :-)

Indeed. My all-time favorite.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Being from Detroit I do love Bob Seger, but have to admit that Metalica's version of Turn the Page is pretty well done. Not saying better, but a good cover.

On the same token, I think Five Finger Death Punch's version of Bad Company took a great song and made it better. Heavy guitars in the right spots and the added deep drum track. Very well done.

GNR's version of Knockin on Heaven's Door is definitely the difinitive version. Seeing Axl do it live is amazing. Just saw them a few months ago, and he may be getting nutty in his old age, but they still put on one hell of a show.