Did you go gluten or dairy free? Why?

Options
I'm contemplating going gluten and dairy free. If you have tell me why, and what you've noticed is different.

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I recently went gluten free again ( i have done it previously for suspected Celiac) and I love it. It can be hard to get used to if you're a big pasta, sandiwch and on the go eater but I feel MUCH better when I don't have gluten in my diet! I don't go as far to restrict certain rices, spices and dressings that have gluten but I do avoid anything obviously gluten filled. It's wonderful when done correctly! As for dairy I do limit it, although I don't cut it out completely. I do have greek yogurt to get some K in my system but I don't drink milk or eat cheese. I feel ike I'm less bloated when I am eating gluten free, I have more energy, get less headaches and even sleep better. There's just no reason not to!
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about 2 weeks now due to severe stomach cramps and bloating whenever I eat it.
    Honestly, its the best decision ever and its really NOT THAT HARD. i thought i was going to miss pasta and
    bread/ sandwiches, but i've been really creative with my cooking now as you kind of have to and you'll find
    theres plenty of things to eat.
    it's incredible, go for it.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did a gluten free and lactose free diet since my naturopath wanted me to try it since it seemed I had some sensitivities to both gluten and dairy. I went to see her initially because I was having gallbladder attacks and the dr's kept telling me it wasn't my gallbladder since no tests could confirm indefinitely that it was my gallbladder. It did help me feel better overall but it didn't get rid of my gallbladder attacks so I didn't stay on it. Doing both of them at the same time can be hard if you're picky but I think it's a good route to go if you feel like it'll help you. Good luck!
  • Cmadridk
    Options
    I limit gluten because my allergies (sneezing, runny nose, etc) always disappear when I do. I used to attribute this to the weather, now I know it's diet related.

I limit dairy (i stick to greek yogurt and some cheese) to keep my skin blemish free and without red splotches (cutting sugar helps with keeping your skin clear as well!)
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Most of us have done due to health reasons and not having a choice.

I think it's great for several reasons anyway. I wouldn't suggest using all the substitutes though. Most are not good for you. I use the gluten free pasta and a few other things.

I hear people all the time complaining about not losing weight on a gluten free diet. Being gluten free doesn't mean it's okay to eat a box of gluten free cookies everyday. lol. You should still eat right.

I have little dairy, meaning few things with cow milk. Going gluten free was not a choice, I had to. It's not that hard.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thu 08/09/12 03:49 PM

Most of us have done due to health reasons and not having a choice.

I think it's great for several reasons anyway. I wouldn't suggest using all the substitutes though. Most are not good for you. I use the gluten free pasta and a few other things.

I hear people all the time complaining about not losing weight on a gluten free diet. Being gluten free doesn't mean it's okay to eat a box of gluten free cookies everyday. lol. You should still eat right.

I have little dairy, meaning few things with cow milk. Going gluten free was not a choice, I had to. It's not that hard.

^^^i agree! substituting can be just as bad as eating gluten. A lot of the GF subsititues are super high in fats and will cause you to gain or stay at the same weight. I suggest cutting out pasta and bread unless its on a special occassio nthen go for the GF option.
  • removeextragayle
    removeextragayle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for the past 4 years, not by choice. I think the only weight benefit I've seen from gluten free is when everyone else is having cake or donuts you have to decline. So often food is consumed socially when we aren't really even hungry.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am grain free and dairy free. Both gluten and non-gluten grains bother me. A number of members of my family are also gluten-free, for various reasons. Our celiac and/or gluten-/dairy triggered symptoms are below.

Myself:

Chronic Nosebleeds
    Anemia
    Depression/SAD/PMS
    Reactions to antibiotics and medications
    Other environmental allergies and food intolerances
    Hyperparathyroid symptoms, including kidney stones, dry eyes, and chest pain - subclinical, not diagnosed
    Unexplained infertility
    Peripheral neuropathy
    Migraines
    Unexplained abdominal pain
    Rashes
    Constipation, gas, irritable bowel/spastic colon, other digestive issues
    SIBO (Small Intestine Bowel Overgrowth, with ulcers, heartburn, acne rosacea)
    Arthritis/joint pain
    Low blood glucose, resulting in hypersensitivity to fructose
    “Foreign proteins in the blood” (a symptom of autoimmune disease)
    Hangnails, ridged nails
    Dry mouth and eyes (possible Srogen's)

My kiddo (not blood related):

Compromised immune system (repeated strep infections)
    Behavioural issues, violence, mood, sensory (violence trigged by dairy)
    Diarrhea and constipation
    Stomach aches
    Dermatitis/exema
    Anxiety
    Food allergies/intolerances
    Migraines
    Thin, flaking nails
    Dry, thin hair
    ADHD & learning disorders (some FASD or inherited, not all gluten/dairy related)

Hubby:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Pain in spine/tailbone
    Muscle and joint pain
    Depression (triggered by dairy)

Dad:

Failure to Thrive
    Childhood dysentery
    Tooth decay
    Low energy, "weak heart"
    Reactions to drugs/medications
    Migraines
    Depression
    Multiple food allergies/intolerances
    Kidney failure
    Hypertension
    Rapid weight loss
    Allergic rhinitis
    Muscle contractions/possible nerve damage
    Malformed nails

Grandma and/or Great Grandma:
    Weight loss
    Migraines
    Thyroid
    Parkinson's
    Osteroporosis/hump
    "Allergic to bread"
    Diabetes
    Stunted growth
    Weak immune system
    Pot belly
    Allergic rhinitis

On the issue of substitutes - being grain-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and multiple allergies, I don't really consume the commercial substitutes. One kind of cookie I get occasionally, but any other baking I have to do myself from scratch. I occasionally have Daiya cheese, but mostly stay away from it because it is very calorically dense. My hubby and kiddo, however, do consume commercial gluten-free bread and cereal, kiddo goes through lots of soy milk and daiya cheese, etc. Is it good for their health? No, not particularly. But considering the ten loaves or so of bread they went through a week before going gluten-free, one loaf of gf bread per week isn't so bad. I highly recommend whole foods and cooking from scratch, but everyone's circumstances and reaction swill be different.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went dairy free for about 6 months because I was breastfeeding and my baby was allergic to cow's milk. If I ate so much as a ritz cracker, she would have bloody diapers. When she was about 6 months old, we lost our home in hurricane Katrina, and I didn't have a choice about what I ate for a few weeks. It was either eat or go hungry, and then I found out that my daughter had outgrown her sensitivity to dairy. I was happy that she had outgrown it because I found dairy in lunch meat and soy cheese. Dairy and dairy derivatives are in almost everything. I tried vegan cheese and hated it. I don't know what it tastes like, but it ain't cheese.

Do you think you have sensitivities to gluten and dairy? If so, you can try an elimination diet. Be aware that dairy can take up to 3 weeks to get out of your system. Also, if you choose to remove these items from your diet, you need to find out the names of wheat and dairy derivatives. You would be amazed at what these things are in.
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I ask because I am an acupuncturist, and so often I have patients with auto immune disease, and dairy and gluten are the #1 allergens that people have disease from. I guess the ONLY way to find out is to eliminate them from my diet for a few weeks. I have been widdling down, but can't commit to gluten free. I am pretty sure I am sensitive to rice as I always get very bloated from it, but I also know I have low HCL in my stomach. Right now lowering my calories to 1600 has helped tremendously. Thanks again for everyone's help!!
  • skonly
    Options
    I've been gluten free for the past 4 years, not by choice. I think the only weight benefit I've seen from gluten free is when everyone else is having cake or donuts you have to decline. So often food is consumed socially when we aren't really even hungry.

The local news did a segment on social eating at work last night. Many people have a hard time staying on diets or eating healthy because they feel obligated and pressured to eat at work with others. I know when I worked with people and turned down food I was always asked why, one boss even yelled at me and called me names but she was insane anyway. lol. Anytime I ate a piece of fruit someone always had to make a comment. One day I got really mad and said I eat this way so I don't weigh 300 lbs. I don't care if it was mean or not, at the time I was not overweight but I never have liked being picked apart. So your cake or donut statement is true. I prefer to think of it as declining belly and thigh fat instead of declining a donut. Makes me feel better. lol
  • getgoodhealth
    Options
    Wow...I am trying to go gluten free. I have alot of joint pain. I stopped eating all breads and any thing that said it contained wheat. I think I should look up what it is to be complete gluten free. My legs already feel better...but I am so tired. Very tired. Any ideas would help. :smile:
  • skonly
    Options
    Wow...I am trying to go gluten free. I have alot of joint pain. I stopped eating all breads and any thing that said it contained wheat. I think I should look up what it is to be complete gluten free. My legs already feel better...but I am so tired. Very tired. Any ideas would help. :smile:

Look up celiac disease and go to some sites to better understand what to look for in labels.

Glad your pain is getting better. My joint pain did too. Was a really nice surprise! If you are tired make sure you are getting enough protein. And sleep. Sleep is important.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free and dairy free in April to try to clear up an itchy rash I had on my legs. I had the rash for almost 2 years. The doctor had no clue what caused it, nothing helped (creams,lotions). So, a nutritionist recommended gluten/dairy free. The rash cleared up within a few weeks. I have since added back in some dairy (I love my ice cream). The rash is still gone, but I can tell if I have some incidental gluten, my ankles get itchy and the rash starts to come back. I also have less bowel problems and have lost 35 lbs without trying too hard.

ETA - I actually eat Paleo/Primal and eat no grains or legumes. So, I don't eat any of the gluten free breads/sweets either. That has helped the weight loss.
  • skonly
    Options
    I take acidophilus. It will help with the rash and bowel issues. My whole gluten thing started with a rash on my nipple which led to a mammogram. The rash was unrelated to the breast issues but in the end I'm glad I had it because it set off a chain of events, a few cancer scares and I have since made some good decisions concerning my healthcare and look a leap and got off some drugs and therapy.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    My wife is gluten free due to Celiac Disease and I recently joined her and am trying to stay on a Paleo diet -- however, I sometimes eat something (pizza, cake, cookies) and will feel it the next day or two. I do feel much better on my diet and I also lost 15 pounds just by changing my diet. Read "Wheat Belly" for a lot of interesting details on eliminating wheat/gluten from your diet.
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free (not dairy free - I don't think I can give up cheese!!) due to extremely bad migraine headaches... .i've had migraines my whole life (since before I can even remember) and nothing I have ever done seems to help (except taking medicine). Growing up I would only get a really bad one maybe once a month... as I got older I just got used to having a regular plain old headache often and the past year it's been at least 3-4 days a week if not more.... and I just lived with the headaches and feeling bad all the time....i didn't want to take medicine every day for them so I did some research to try and find out what I could do to prevent them... I came across that sometimes gluten intolerances are related to having migraine headaches... so I gave it a try.... it's been since June 6th.... and I have not had a single headache (except 2 instances where I'm pretty sure I've had gluten - 1 was fake crabmeat in sushi... who knew that had gluten in it???) i never knew that I could feel this good!! I can't believe I've gone my whole life feeling like **** and never knew what feeling really good was like!!! It's been an incredible experiment.... so far it's been full of lots of ups (and an occasional down or two) but it's been completely worth it!!! help this helps!!!
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My wife is gluten free due to Celiac Disease and I recently joined her and am trying to stay on a Paleo diet -- however, I sometimes eat something (pizza, cake, cookies) and will feel it the next day or two. I do feel much better on my diet and I also lost 15 pounds just by changing my diet. Read "Wheat Belly" for a lot of interesting details on eliminating wheat/gluten from your diet.

I second reading the "wheat belly" book!!!!!!!! It's very enlightening!!!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I use to eat oatmeal in the morning and every time I tried to leave the house I would have to run to the bathroom. It was the oats. If I eat any kind of dairy within 10 minutes I will become bloated and gassy. No way to live. I now can leave the house since I been eating a gluten and dairy free diet. Go for it, my body feels so much better don't miss it.
  • skonly
    Options
    I use to eat oatmeal in the morning and every time I tried to leave the house I would have to run to the bathroom. It was the oats. If I eat any kind of dairy within 10 minutes I will become bloated and gassy. No way to live. I now can leave the house since I been eating a gluten and dairy free diet. Go for it, my body feels so much better don't miss it.

Steel cut oats don't bother me. But I do know what you mean about leaving the house. If I mess up.....not fun. I've been having a little greek yogurt and had cheese this week and feel a little bloated myself. Not much so I'm giving up the yogurt when this tub runs out.