No Breakfast Fills Me - Help!

Options
Ok to give you a little background, I get up around 6.30am and take the dog for a walk, get home and organise my things for work and then have a coffee and breakfast around 7am. I drink over half a litre of water on the way to work and have a second coffee when I get in around 8.30am, then continue with water or green tea. If I make it to 10am without my stomach growling at me it's a miracle.

So these are the breakfast's I have tried:
Oatmeal made with water and soy milk - little bit of brown sugar
Weetabix made with water
Scrambled eggs on wholewheat toast (1 egg 2 egg whites)
No fat vanilla yoghurt smoothie with mixed frozen berries
Greek yoghurt with half an apple
Peanut butter on wholewheat toast

Please someone help me find something that will keep me full until lunch time - I plan my meal's in advance so I add in a couple of snacks to keep me going but wish I could find something that will do the job first thing in the morning. I'm on 1220 calorie's and usually try to eat a breakfast of 250 - 350 calories.

Also I'm in Australia so not all foods are available to me - i.e liquid egg whites - I need to find these as they would save so much time and money - also desperate to try PB2 but no where to be found :-(

Replies

• sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its possible for that amount of calories-i know its not for me. My breakfast is 750 cals, but i dont eat lunch. It keeps me full til dinner though. You might try splitting your calories differently, eating a bit more at breakfast and less at lunch/dinner? Maybe 500 for breakfast, 200-250 for lunch, and the rest for ddinner? Those lunch salads you can get at safeway are suprisingly good and filling for 200-300 cals.

My breakfast is oatmeal with half a banana and a cup of coconut milk, soy chorizo, scrambled eggbeaters, and sometimes sauteed mushrooms. Very filling.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I get hungry at about 10, also. I bring a bowl of fruit and a bowl of celery and carrot sticks and cucumber slices to work with me and snack on those until lunch. You can look at my diary. It's open.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

You can get PB2 and liquid eggwhites in Aus. PB2 is available at Gladiator Nutrition (online) and you should be able to find frozen eggwhites at Woollies or Coles. They should both be near the frozen berries. Coles stocks a blue bag (sorry I can't rem the name) and Woollies has a clear bottle.

BTW your dog is so cute!
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yum 750 cals for breakfast I think I could quite easily manage that - your right though I think I need to up my breakfast cals.

I don't mind snacking at 10 or 11am but the problem I have at the moment is that fruit is so expensive, apart from Kiwi fruit and that alone will become boring. Also I was bringing a tub of carrot sticks but found they gave me stomach ache after about an hour!

Naomi I think I love you - seriously had no idea about those items - I was looking in the fresh section for egg whites and I normally only go to IGA, will have to place an order for PB2 - again I was only checking in stores! Ah thank you that is my child Lexi on her first birthday - she's the one that gets my *kitten* out of bed and walking at 6.30am :-)
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yum 750 cals for breakfast I think I could quite easily manage that - your right though I think I need to up my breakfast cals.

I don't mind snacking at 10 or 11am but the problem I have at the moment is that fruit is so expensive, apart from Kiwi fruit and that alone will become boring. Also I was bringing a tub of carrot sticks but found they gave me stomach ache after about an hour!

Naomi I think I love you - seriously had no idea about those items - I was looking in the fresh section for egg whites and I normally only go to IGA, will have to place an order for PB2 - again I was only checking in stores! Ah thank you that is my child Lexi on her first birthday - she's the one that gets my *kitten* out of bed and walking at 6.30am :-)

Aaaaawww thx :laugh:

I have once seen a carton of eggwhites at Woollies but I've always got the frozen.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's possible when you are only allowing 250-300cal. On non work days I get up late so I eat a large brunch. On work days however I do oatmeal and a protein shake or an egg/egg white omelet. Even then I'm still hungry again by 10am so I throw in a snack to hold me until lunch.

Have you considered upping your calories to be able to eat a bit more for breakfast?
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to eat breakfast foods only in the morning, try eating leftover dinner foods, switch it up there's no rule that says you have to stick to oatmeal and eggs in the AM:bigsmile:
  • Xorknup84
    Xorknup84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    make breakfast tour highest calorie meal, lunch your second highest, and dinner your smallest. It will work wonders!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I know once I gave in and started eating breakfast, there was no way I could make it until lunch time without some kind of snack. My mid morning snack was usually a container of yogurt, and it seemed to be just enough to hold me till lunch. Of course, as the time got close to lunch, my stomach was growling again. In a full day, I would eat at least 5-6 times, depending on how hungry I was late night. Lately, as I have been struggling to stay on my plan, I haven't always been having breakfast. Those are the only mornings I can make it till lunch. Of course, once I make it to lunch, I am absolutely ravenous!

Maybe try adding something like hummus or guacamole to your carrot sticks? I find eating just plan old carrots would not do a thing for hunger pangs, as well, would sometimes make me feel sick afterwards. I think it helps to have a little bit of fat/protien in every meal/snack you eat.

Hope you figure it out :) I know how distracting a growling stomach can be!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to eat breakfast foods only in the morning, try eating leftover dinner foods, switch it up there's no rule that says you have to stick to oatmeal and eggs in the AM:bigsmile:

I agree here. My oldest son prefers leftover tater tot hotdish reheated as a breakfast or leftover home made chicken noodle soup even. These both fill him up quite well until lunch. I am more of an eat a smaller breakfast and then just listen to my tummy growl until lunch anyway kind of person...lol I have decided that being hungry by 10 am isn't the worst thing in the world, but it is a personal choice. :)
    My favorite breakfast that does fill me alright would be a piece of 7-grain toast with peanut butter on and about 8 ounces of a homemade smoothie including fruit, ice, juice, yogurt and nestle instant breakfast drink powder.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    veggies sausage is fantastic (Morning Star) on whole wheat toast & egg whites....load it up :p
  • aswinter
    aswinter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein really fills me up and I think scrambled eggs with mix ins are usually the best. I wilt some spinach and mushrooms then pour in my eggs and scramble them. I think the more you add to the combination, the easier it is to keep full. Also can try chicken sausage or turkey bacon!
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try eating some protein. Have a lean piece of beef with your eggs rather than the bread. Or drink a protein shake made with low fat milk or almond milk and a piece of fruit.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet
    Coffee and almond milk
    Bacon
    Whatever protein thing you want
    Carbs will just make ur blood sugar crash halfway through the morning( hence the still being hungry at 10)
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have definitely dealt with the same thing, it's very frustrating! One thing to keep in mind is to maybe not think so conventionally about breakfast, i.e. typical breakfast foods. Maybe there are other things you can eat like meat/beans, etc. Two things that have helped me are too add vegetables to everything (and if you choose greens or non-starchy veg, you can basically eat as much as you want!) and increase my healthy fats. (Avocado, hummus, nuts, etc.) If you make sure you're drinking your water, getting enough fiber rich vegetables and having healthy fat (ideally at every meal), you should find things much better! Hope you have wonderful success! x
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats! Eat the whole egg; the whites are high protein, but the yolk has the healthy fats that really help with satiety. I like a 2 egg omelette with lots of veggies, a lean meat and a bit of cheese, or 2 poached eggs on a piece of wheat toast.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ok to give you a little background, I get up around 6.30am and take the dog for a walk, get home and organise my things for work and then have a coffee and breakfast around 7am. I drink over half a litre of water on the way to work and have a second coffee when I get in around 8.30am, then continue with water or green tea. If I make it to 10am without my stomach growling at me it's a miracle.

So these are the breakfast's I have tried:
    Oatmeal made with water and soy milk - little bit of brown sugar
    Weetabix made with water
    Scrambled eggs on wholewheat toast (1 egg 2 egg whites)
    No fat vanilla yoghurt smoothie with mixed frozen berries
    Greek yoghurt with half an apple
    Peanut butter on wholewheat toast

Please someone help me find something that will keep me full until lunch time - I plan my meal's in advance so I add in a couple of snacks to keep me going but wish I could find something that will do the job first thing in the morning. I'm on 1220 calorie's and usually try to eat a breakfast of 250 - 350 calories.

Also I'm in Australia so not all foods are available to me - i.e liquid egg whites - I need to find these as they would save so much time and money - also desperate to try PB2 but no where to be found :-(

Actually, I've seen liquid egg whites at woolies. They have them in the frozen fruit section. At least the woolies near me does.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

You can get PB2 and liquid eggwhites in Aus. PB2 is available at Gladiator Nutrition (online) and you should be able to find frozen eggwhites at Woollies or Coles. They should both be near the frozen berries. Coles stocks a blue bag (sorry I can't rem the name) and Woollies has a clear bottle.

BTW your dog is so cute!

Beat me to it!
  • yoobie
    yoobie Posts: 16
    Options
    sweet potatoes are my saving grace. they are very filling, very sweet, creamy, and absolutely guilt-less. I generally eat 100g (for ~90 cal) of it every morning w/ a glass of fat free milk (90 cal) and ~90 cal worth of egg whites and about ~30 cal of some kind of fruit. gotta say the sweet potatoes is the lynch pin to my hunger issues.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Suggest having that snack at ten am. Fruit, little protein, maybe couple almonds. Good to go. Then eat slightly less at lunch.

I find slow cooked steel cut oats are super filling. Aka irish oatmeal. The brand i like is bobs red mill wheat free.

Good luck