Bolt vs Phelps

Options
Laces_0ut
Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
whos the most impressive? of course Phelps has more medals but thats because his sport allows him to compete for more.

I'm going with Bolt on this one.

Replies

• chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bolt for me...........but then I am biased since he is my countryman!.

I like Phelps too though and even though he has more opportunities to win medals no-one has done what he has done in swimming so it cant be as easy as just having more events. But I am still going with Bolt.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    congratulations to you and your country. He is such a great ambassador for the sport. its one of those rare times when i dont mind that an american doesnt win. :)

and i didnt mean to minimize phelps i just didnt want people to use he has more medals as an argument. both are amazing.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I don't like Phelps' haircut :laugh: but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to discount his skill.

I dunno...I mean, if you think about it, Phelps does the equivalent of sprinting AND distance running in the water. Bolt is limited to sprints only, because he's not a distance runner.

I may not be his biggest fan but I'm going to give the edge to Phelps. Bolt is impressive in his speed, but he's not as well rounded an athlete.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    More chances means a lot more work more chances for injury and competing at less then 100% vs the best in the world.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As a Jamaican (well half Jamaican) - I gotta go with BOLT!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    also i think you have to consider how specialized a sport is and access. everyone in the world can run and compete in running events with more ease than swimming events. so phelps competition is smaller than bolt's.

to take it to the extreme....being the best at dressage isnt as impressive as being the best runner because so few people participate in it.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    They're both impressive....and making these Olympics a very enjoyable experience. I don't think you can leave out the USA beach volleyball girls from this discussion....they've not lost a match in 3 Olympics. And volleyball at that level involves some mad skills, explosive strength, endurance and awesome butt cheeks.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    They're both impressive....and making these Olympics a very enjoyable experience. I don't think you can leave out the USA beach volleyball girls from this discussion....they've not lost a match in 3 Olympics. And volleyball at that level involves some mad skills, explosive strength, endurance and awesome butt cheeks.

its certainly impressive but i dont think anyone is going to put them in the category of best athlete/olympian ever.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I thought the butt cheeks might push them up a level.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Bolt for me
  • souper71
    souper71 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have to go with Phelps. The amount of effort and energy it takes to swim a 400m is incredible. It takes incredible stamina and strength. Im not trying to take away from Bolt. I just dont think people realize what kind of effort it takes to swim 8 lengths in the pool without slowing down. If Bolt were running the 400M or the 800M he would get more of my consideration.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

its certainly impressive but i dont think anyone is going to put them in the category of best athlete/olympian ever.
    Uh, they kind of already made that list.
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    Bolt! But then again I'm leaving for Jamaica on Saturday sooooo
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Here is a VERY relevant way to look at this.

Make Phelps stop swimming, and Bolt stop only sprinting.

Now put them in EVERY other sport. Football, basketball, wrestling, rugby, hockey, tennis, the list goes on.

Now, who do you think would be the best athlete?

For that matter, team Phelps up against LeBron James in ALL sports except what they normally do. Same story again. Phelps is a great swimmer-NO DOUBT, but "greatest olympian ever"? No way.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate these discussions because really there's no right answer, but here's mine.

Bolt has won the 100 meter and 200 meter in two straight Olympics.

Phelps has won the Individual 200 meter IM and 100 Butterfly in three straight Olympics.

So even if you reduce Phelps down to his two most successful events he's got an Olympics on Bolt.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate these discussions because really there's no right answer, but here's mine.

Phelps has won the Individual 200 meter IM and 100 Butterfly in three straight Olympics.

So even if you reduce Phelps down to his two most successful events he's got an Olympics on Bolt.

That doesn't make him more impressive, or a better athlete....See my post 'above' yours.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Phelps in my book. To be able to do the butterfuly the way he does is insane. Phelps uses his whole body. Bolt- it is just running. Besides I think he (Bolt) is such an ego maniac- I can't deal with that.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

That doesn't make him more impressive, or a better athlete....See my post 'above' yours.

Yours is a hypothetical scenario. You have no idea what would happen in any of those instances. The Olympics is about winning medals in your chosen sport. I gave a specific reason why I would choose Phelps.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you can compare athletes from different sports to say who is better than the other. Some are more specialized than others, and some have more opportunity to earn more medals than others. We shouldn't discount some of the less popular but no-less skillworthy sports either.

Plus, I think the title of "greatest olympian" should also have something to do with character and background. Some of these athletes from countries in Africa are incredibly inspirational for their dedication without the means to train with the best yet still competing and winning at the olympics when put right next to them.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Phelps in my book. To be able to do the butterfuly the way he does is insane. Phelps uses his whole body. Bolt- it is just running. Besides I think he (Bolt) is such an ego maniac- I can't deal with that.

Bolt is an egomaniac? I have heard nothing but good things about him, including when he stopped a TV interview because the US Anthem was playing for a gold being awarded in another event.