Options
2»

Replies

• ultraplop
    Options
    I agree with most of it, but there are some inconsistancies:

Quote:

Potato Chips

This is a triple threat snack if there ever was one. Not only are potato chips high in fat, calories, and sodium (threat No. 1), they are a high glycemic vegetable (threat No. 2), which can spike blood sugar. And finally (threat No. 3), when potatoes are heated to a high temperature, they release acrylamide, a harmful chemical associated with nerve damage. And no, you can’t eat just one.

The threats they mention apply to any potato. While most people agree you should not eat tons of potatoes, most people would not consider them the 2nd most unhealthy snack.

I agree with them on dried fruit on a basic level, but I wouldn't put it in the top 10 unhealthy snacks. If you make your own dried fruit with a dehydrator it would be pretty good, but all the dried fruit you get in the store will be chaulked full of added sugars, but again I don't think its a top 10 unhealthy snack.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Rice Cakes... really???

I'm a real fan of Quakes, the caramel ones taste like a real treat, and... 16 mini-cakes = 120 calories. This to me is a no-brainer!
    I've just discovered these. One snack bag is 100 calories. Have you seen the size of these bags compared to other 100 calorie-sized snacks? And they taste really good!

On another note, I think I'll follow whatever sidesteal and erickirb say!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/worst-snacks-your-body

Canned peaches and other fruit
    Potato chips
    Rice cakes
    Blueberry muffins
    Granola bars
    Honey-Roasted Salted Nuts
    Fat-Free Yogurt with Fruit on the Bottom
    Microwave Popcorn
    Dried Fruit
    Diet Soda

Interesting. I have lost 85lbs without giving up a single one of those in both portion managed and go-hell-for-leather quantities.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    How is yogurt w/ fruit or a granola bar bad for you?

My guess (without reading the article): added sugar, probably heavily processed and therefore chemicals or other unidentifiable ingredients for most brands
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    While they may not the best things for the body, I think it's a stretch to call them the "worst" snacks for you body. I think I'd be more comfy putting Reese's Cups, pork rinds, and other things up there long before any of these.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! So now I can eat pizza and fried chicken again since those didn't make the list!! =)
  • NtaDavis
    Options

Potato chips
    Rice cakes
    Blueberry muffins
    Granola bars
    Microwave Popcorn
    Dried Fruit
    Diet Soda

Thanks for sharing. This isn't the first time I've heard that yogurt with fruit on the bottom is not as good as any other yogurt with fruit. I normally eat fage 0%. I also read somewhere that salted nuts were not that great either, that you you should do raw nuts without them being roasted or salted.

In my opinion, I think this article is assuming that you are conscious of what you eat anyway, and for those who don't overdue it with the french fries and junk food. I think this list is for those who already try to eat healthy snacks and think these are the best considering there are other snacks that are way better for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Potato chips
    Rice cakes
    Blueberry muffins
    Granola bars
    Microwave Popcorn
    Dried Fruit
    Diet Soda

Thanks for sharing. This isn't the first time I've heard that yogurt with fruit on the bottom is not as good as any other yogurt with fruit. I normally eat fage 0%. I also read somewhere that salted nuts were not that great either, that you you should do raw nuts without them being roasted or salted.

In my opinion, I think this article is assuming that you are conscious of what you eat anyway, and for those who don't overdue it with the french fries and junk food. I think this list is for those who already try to eat healthy snacks and think these are the best considering there are other snacks that are way better for you.

I'm sure you are correct about the intent, which would have been better made if the title were something along the lines of "10 snacks that aren't as healthy as you might think" or "10 snacks you think are healthy, but aren't".
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with sharing, I just make it a point to comment on things like this because the amount of misinformation on the internet is rather ridiculous when compared to the amount of quality info.

Are you saying that some information on the internet is incorrect???????????????? No way!!! /sarcasm

:laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I have an opinion.

I believe that you can't really assess how "good" or "bad" a food is. You can only assess how that food contributes to your entire diet. So for example, a blueberry muffin and a serving of chips might be a perfectly fine decision depending on the rest of the food you are eating that day.

But that's just what I believe.

Good day!

I believe that buff profile pics that hint at pubic hair are the way forward.

Good day to you!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    How is yogurt w/ fruit or a granola bar bad for you?

I think this depends on the kind. Many commercial yogurts contain 25-30 grams of sugar plus food coloring, artificial flavors, etc. many granola bars are mostly sugar. Granola isn't very good for you anyway. The components of granola are okay, but it usually contains a lot of sugar and oil too. :grumble:
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You mean Favorite snacks for my body! ;-)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How can potato chips have an upside?

Not trying to pick a fight, but what other things can a person put in their body that eating something like that is ever a good or healthy choice?

I mean, I can see how the net impact of eating someone like that can be minimized, but never optimal.

Its like saying that under certain circumstances the best thing that you can do for yourself is sprain your ankle.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I have an opinion.

I believe that you can't really assess how "good" or "bad" a food is. You can only assess how that food contributes to your entire diet. So for example, a blueberry muffin and a serving of chips might be a perfectly fine decision depending on the rest of the food you are eating that day.

Good day!

^^^ I concur.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I have an opinion.

Good day!

Well said, as always.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Ridiculous to include rice cakes per se, the ones I get are made with wholegrain rice and a little apple juice and are organic.

Mine too!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Uh oh, my diet is ruined! I ate a blueberry muffin for breakfast. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

Potato chips
    Rice cakes
    Blueberry muffins
    Granola bars
    Microwave Popcorn