More than just an NSV...

Options
When I was a kid, I could remember doing the 'Monday Run Day' in my gym class. Okay, not actually doing them so much as hating them and having a near asthma attack every time I did anything faster than a brisk walk. Kids would lap me time and time again, it was the most defeating feeling in the world. I thought to myself, 'Why even try? You'll never get to be where they are.'

Fast forward about 10 years to early July. I had just lost 20 lbs and wanted to get something I had wanted to get for so long, a real gym membership to the YMCA. Early morning, July 1st, I got up and went to the gym before they even opened, anticipating getting something I had looked forward to for so long. Looking back, even just a month, I had no idea I would be where I am today.

Earlier this week, I stepped on the treadmill at the good ol' Y and did what I do every other workout day, walk as far and as fast as I could. But Tuesday was different, I wanted to prove to myself that I was able to do something that was, well, incredible. I amped up the machine to 5.0mph, jogging in my book. I told myself 3 minutes, just do 3 minutes. But you know what, I didn't go 3 minutes. You how how long I made it? 12 minutes! 12 minutes, a mile! I WENT A MILE. A WHOLE MILE, NOT STOPPING, NOT PANICKING, STILL BREATHING.

The guy on the machine behind me saw me struggle and want to give up the entire way. After I was done, he came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder. I thought he wanted the machine after me, but instead all he said was 'Good Job, that was really good.' He walked away and I didn't see him the rest of the night. No greasy hamburger, no milkshake, no food could ever make me feel that way.

Thank you MFP, you have given me a happiness I could have never had without you.

Ali

Replies

• Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A great NSV - very happy for you!
  • kndlkai1
    kndlkai1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That is truly AWESOME! Way to go!!! :happy:
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Feels really good, doesn't it!! :drinker:
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    what a great NSV!!!!! good for you! i just ran my first mile not too long ago (also at 5mph on a treadmill!) and couldn't believe i was still breathing... two weeks later, i find that after a mile, i still have more left in the gas tank, and this weekend, i ran outside for 1.5 miles without stopping. Nothing can stand in your way once you realize it's only your mind holding you back. Way to rock!!!!
  • NitroxBoss
    NitroxBoss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    THAT is awesome! Good for you!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    That ROCKS!!!!
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Seriously, seriously awesome!!!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was such a good post. I literally felt the emotion of it. Congratulations!
  • SntmntlGk
    Options
    What a great story! Congrats, and thanks for sharing. :)
  • david_29
    Options
    Inspiring! Thank you.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I actually got misty (no joke). Great NSV!
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, good for you! I can't wait till I can do that myself!
  • afassett
    afassett Posts: 29
    Options
    Congrats! Your story is truly inspiring.
    It is such an amazing accomplishment, and its great that someone noticed and told you how great you did.
    Keep it up and you'll be running a 5km in no time!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm about to cry. I know what you mean about school. I've never run. Never been able to. I'm going to get there. You will never know how much this inspires me to hear. I am so happy for you. Great job. =)
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear what you do next!
  • AlissaMyron
    Options
    Every single one of your replies makes me want to cry, thank you guys so much. You will never know how much all of this means to me. Thank you!:blushing:
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! That was amazing. Congratulations on your victory!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome freaking NSV!!!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    woo.. thats awesome!!

And that pace will keep increasing as long as you continue ad you will astonish yourself again!! :)
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME!

You are doing great!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!