Serious Q: When you eat and get diarrhea...

Options

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
  • RanzITman
    Options
    Let’s just cut through the minutia. :wink: You don’t know what your body absorbed, but you know what you ate. Adding any mathematical formula once you have consumed it is just an attempt to justify eating more. Even if the food passes right through I am pretty sure you aren’t going to starve to death. Record what you eat. See how your body reacts over time. Much time. Adjust your intake when the results are clear. Don’t complicate the math.:huh:

I'd say something stank and math related, but you survived Swine Flu so you're cool in my book.

Thanks; but trust me.... Swine flu isn't nearly as hard as staying in the calorie count some days.:laugh:
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    LOL hilarious...Im sure it wasnt what you just ate comming out, its food that was already digesting and then it came out when you ate pushing what was already in there to go out...food can't digest that quickly! .......silly!!! :tongue:

how many times a week do you think I eat peking duck?

I dont know, hahahhahahha is that what was comming out?????
    sorry I didnt read the whole post :tongue:
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    LOL hilarious...Im sure it wasnt what you just ate comming out, its food that was already digesting and then it came out when you ate pushing what was already in there to go out...food can't digest that quickly! .......silly!!! :tongue:

how many times a week do you think I eat peking duck?

I dont know, hahahhahahha is that what was comming out?????
    sorry I didnt read the whole post :tongue:

Guilty of uninformed replying.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Okay people I figured it out:

Carbs and fat ->digested in small intestine
    Protein -> broken down in stomach, pancreas, and small intestine

It takes between less than 1 to 4 hours for food to get from stomach to small intestine (lets avg it to 2)
    Food then takes around 4 hours to be digested in the small intestine

Lets use variable TED - time between eating and diarrhea (in minutes)
    TC - total calories consumed
    TCA - total calories absorbed

TC x ( (TED) / (( 2 + 4 ) x 60 ) ) = TCA

^^^ the master formula. Feel free to write it down, put it on your fridge, or type it in your phone.
    My goal is to help you people. Information sharing is key.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    bump
  • cowboys_angel_907
    cowboys_angel_907 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In response to your "serious ?", Here is a serious answer...what you are describing sounds to me like Dumping Syndrome, and you are correct according to the Mayo Clinics definition the emptying of the stomachs content can happen in a matter of minutes. it is a SERIOUS disorder, and you should consider following the advice of the other responders that you should in fact seek medical help.

"Definition
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms that are most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach move too rapidly into your small bowel. Common symptoms include abdominal cramps, nausea and diarrhea.

Most people with dumping syndrome experience symptoms soon after eating. In others, symptoms may occur one to three hours after eating. Some people experience both early and late symptoms.

Dumping syndrome is managed by adjusting your diet. In more-serious cases of dumping syndrome, you may need medications or surgery. "

"Complications
    By Mayo Clinic staff

In people with severe cases of dumping syndrome, marked weight loss and malnutrition may occur. Sometimes people who lose a lot of weight may also develop a fear of eating, related to the discomfort associated with the rapid dumping of undigested food. They may also avoid outdoor physical activity in order to stay close to a toilet. Some have difficulty keeping a job because of their chronic symptoms. "

"Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Symptoms of dumping syndrome are most common during a meal or within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal. They include:

Gastrointestinal

Nausea
    Vomiting
    Abdominal cramps
    Diarrhea
    Feeling of fullness

Cardiovascular

Flushing
    Dizziness, lightheadedness
    Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Signs and symptoms also can develop later, usually one to three hours after eating. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of late dumping can include:

Sweating
    Hunger
    Fatigue
    Dizziness, lightheadedness
    Confusion
    Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
    Fainting

A study of more than 1,100 people who had their stomachs surgically removed found that about two-thirds experienced early symptoms and about a third experienced late symptoms of dumping syndrome. Some people experience both early and late signs and symptoms.

No matter when problems develop, however, they may be worse following a high-sugar meal, especially one that's rich in table sugar (sucrose) or fruit sugar (fructose). " (the last line here would explain the occurrence of symptoms after a visit to the waffle house...waffles/pancakes...smothered in syrup or fruit...High-sugar meal...)

I've included the link to the article so that everyone can read the rest for themselves.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715

You seem like a level headed guy, your priorities seem a little askew to me, you should be more concerned with the fact that the food you are eating isn't benefiting your body when these symptoms occur, that you are setting yourself up for severe malnutrition, and that this could develop into a Chronic condition...It's not a joke, it is serious and I for one hope you do yourself a favor and go see a doctor.

:flowerforyou: good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain how my baby had whole corn kernels in her poo before she was eating solids...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    really??
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i have lymphocytic colitus and food will run through me in as little as 2 hours. i count it all.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Okay people I figured it out:

Carbs and fat ->digested in small intestine
    Protein -> broken down in stomach, pancreas, and small intestine

It takes between less than 1 to 4 hours for food to get from stomach to small intestine (lets avg it to 2)
    Food then takes around 4 hours to be digested in the small intestine

Lets use variable TED - time between eating and diarrhea (in minutes)
    TC - total calories consumed
    TCA - total calories absorbed

TC x ( (TED) / (( 2 + 4 ) x 60 ) ) = TCA

^^^ the master formula. Feel free to write it down, put it on your fridge, or type it in your phone.
    My goal is to help you people. Information sharing is key.

I ate some junk food today ..... I wonder if I could go vomit and use this same calculation to EARN back some of my calories. Hmmmmmm......just kidding I'll suck it up and count them all just like I would if I had gotten diarreah.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a digestive disease so I know what it's like to be sick at times. I log it all anyway, but if I'm hungry later i will eat something as getting well should be the main objective and not how far you might go over your calories since your body got rid of some.
  • bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    If I see one more person saying that the stomach absorbs all of your food, I'm going to take all of my anatomy, biology, and microbiology textbooks and throw them at the internet. Your stomach doesn't absorb anything other than alcohol.

^^This^^

And BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

I knew I was really just being more effective and ahead of the game by sticking to booze.

^^And this^^

Lord I needed this laugh today.
    Thank you ALL!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're asking the wrong question.

You should be asking: how do I best fuel my body to get better.

Better at diarrhea? Why? I've already mastered it.
    :huh:
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    well I say!!...forget the stool softeners and the Correctol..next time I'm constipated I'm heading down the street to Waffle House. By the way, the instant diarreah is from the FAT, greasy FAT...just slips right through ya...

but a good lesson to learn about eating and / or vomiting / pooping ....ONCE YOU EAT IT, YOU OWN IT. So count your calories young lady!!!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    how many of the calories do you add to your diary?

All of them. Doesn't matter how they came out.....or when.

but why add calories if my body didn't asborb them? It's like fiber, it has calories, but since your body doesn't absorb it they put 0 cals on the label.

Because unless you have had bypass or some other condition that bypass the 20+ feet of your intestines, that DI isn't the Waffle House. It's your body telling to NOT whatever you ate BEFORE the Waffle House crud.

So yes COUNT them. Count EVERYTHING and be honest with yourself - if you want to loose weight, stop trying a way to "cheat" the system - your body will break it down no matter if you add them or not. Your body will USE them no matter if you count them or not.

And I say this from 2 decades of being SICK every day because my stomach didn't like what I ate the day before. AND... my hubby tried to say the same thing to his doctor and the above was what his doctor told him.

Even food poisoning takes a while before it hits you.

^^ This exactly. Food poisoning:
    E Coli: Symptoms appear 3-4 days after eating the contaminated food.
    Salmonella: Symptoms appear 6-72 hours after eating the contaminated food.
    Listeria: Symptoms appear 2-30 days after eating the contaminated food.
    Campylobacter: Symptoms appear 3-5 days after eating the contaminated food.
    Calcivirus: Symptoms appear within 2 days of eating the contaminated food.

I'm sure you're getting this from a reliable source, but when I had food poisoning, along with 6 other people that shared the same meal, we all got sick within 3 - 6 hours. The health department discovered that the restaurant was violating several food storage rules.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • technicalman
    technicalman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    log the food you eat and see a doctor about the diahrhea if it continues.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    LMAO @ BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE POST!
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    -10 for each plop

BAHAAHAHAHA im literally crying right now.... best thread ever.