Zucchini & Yellow Squash

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I have some giant veggies... Recipe suggestions for dinner to use them up??

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If they are giant make zuchinni bread. Otherwise slice them up and use in almost anything from pizza toppings to fritata or omelets. Zuchini and squash fajitas are my favorite.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    In for Acg's suggestions.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    In for Acg's suggestions.

I'm waiting too lol
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You can also dice them up and freeze them if you think you won't be able to use them before they go bad. I like to dice them and add a red onion put Mrs. Dash garlic and herb a little salt and olive oil on them. Then roast them at 375 until tender and they get some color on the edges. You can also sautée them in a pan if you don't want to turn the oven on.

The really big squash and zucchini can be a little tough so the bread suggestion is a good one. I got some earlier and I shredded them and froze them in 2 cup portions. Two cups is what my recipe calls for so can take it out of the freezer thaw it and it is ready for bread or cake recipes.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Gosh I just chop them up saute them in olive oil with some baby carrots, garlic and red onion, for a quick and eady side dish. Great suggestions ladies.
  • DollaMimi86
    Options
    I've seen them used in lasgna. Instead of using lasgna noodles and cooked in a crockpot :) Or vegetable soup or stir fry. :)
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    bump
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found a really yummy recipie on recipies.com for a stuffed zuchinii......hollow it out, mince it and add browned turkey and tomato paste and italian spices, dont know it off the top of my head but i remember it was really really good!!
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I cut them up into thin slices, cook then in a little olive oil with some onion. When they are almost cooked, I add a small can of tomato sauce. Sea salt, cracked pepper and red pepper flakes for taste. Simmer till cooked.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I make a recipe with squash by peeling off slices of ( 2 med) with a veg. peeler. I sprinkle the squash with salt and let it sit in a colander while I prep the rest. Slice up some carrots (lengthwise, just like the squash), mix togetherl, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill and splenda or honey and lemon juice to taste. Rinse the squash very well to remove the salt, drain and layer 1/3 squash, 1/3 carrots, 1/3 dressing in a pan big enough to hold whatever size batch you make. Let it set in the frig overnight and it's tender, delicious and very flavorful.
    It would probably be easier to eat this if you shredded the squash and carrots but I haven't tried it that way yet. :)
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Boats

Mix in a bowl:
    shredded carrots
    ricotta cheese
    parmesan cheese
    garlic powder
    finely chopped onions
    italian seasoning

Cut the zucchini's in half long ways and gut out the insides
    once everything is done, put the mixings inside the boat and
    cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes then eat

DELICIOUS
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    send them to me? LOL just teasing what about a baked tempura just some panko crumbs and a yummy dipping sauce. I always love squash bisque kind of a harvest soup with milk and pumpkin spices. Cut them up with some ground beef/turkey/pork and serve a goulash. Steamed in a warm spinach salad with vinegar a bite of feta and tomatoes and onions. Would squash chips be good? Baked with some salt, pepper, and some seasonings?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You can also dice them up and freeze them if you think you won't be able to use them before they go bad. I like to dice them and add a red onion put Mrs. Dash garlic and herb a little salt and olive oil on them. Then roast them at 375 until tender and they get some color on the edges. You can also sautée them in a pan if you don't want to turn the oven on.

The really big squash and zucchini can be a little tough so the bread suggestion is a good one. I got some earlier and I shredded them and froze them in 2 cup portions. Two cups is what my recipe calls for so can take it out of the freezer thaw it and it is ready for bread or cake recipes.

Great ideas!! Thank you.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry, I meant to add they are good left over. I usually eat them for the week. One of my dad's specialties!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I found a really yummy recipie on recipies.com for a stuffed zuchinii......hollow it out, mince it and add browned turkey and tomato paste and italian spices, dont know it off the top of my head but i remember it was really really good!!

Sounds very good!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Zucchini Boats

Mix in a bowl:
    shredded carrots
    ricotta cheese
    parmesan cheese
    garlic powder
    finely chopped onions
    italian seasoning

Cut the zucchini's in half long ways and gut out the insides
    once everything is done, put the mixings inside the boat and
    cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes then eat

DELICIOUS

Yum!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We have had fresh-from-the-garden zucchini and yellow squash every day since June. I took them to work and exhausted that avenue. Finally my husband has started taking them to a local food shelf. Some of the shelves are happy to get the donated fresh produce! It's a win-win.

When my kids were younger, one of the best things I did with oversized zucchini was to buy craft supplies -- such as eyes and pipe cleaners, paint, etc. and I had the kids and friends make zucchini monsters at a brithday party. It was great fun. They did need to be tossed rather than eaten though.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    make zucchini tots! so yum!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You can:

Cut into ribbons, cook for a few minutes, then pour your favorite sauces over.
    Steam them, then hollow them out - fill with mixture of sautéed rice, lamb, and onion.
    Bake a nice zucchini loaf.
    Bake a nice chocolate zucchini cake.
    Add them raw and chopped to a pasta salad with a citrusy dressing.
    Create a layered lasagna type dish using thick cuts of zucchini to layer with lots of veggies, cheese, and sauce.
    Slice medium to thin circular slices and cook with rosemary and lemon slices in a little bit of olive oil.
    Add to meat sauces for added flavor.
    Ratatouille!
    Zucchini and squash powered pasta primavera.
    Grill thick slices til a little charred and add feta and sliced red onion while still warm.
    Bake thick round slices with panko, olive oil, and lemon.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use them in everything from spaghetti sauce to scrambled eggs. You can put them in chili or in black beans & rice...on and on...