Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    testing

[size=+2]this text is two sizes larger than normal[/size]

this text is blue

This is how it will look prior to posting.

I'm trying to figure out which BBcodes work on this board, anyone know?
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,109 Member
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free so I'm not use to normal pasta so Shirataki noodles aren't much of a stretch for me. These are made of yam flour and come floating around in a bag which has lime in it so when you open the bag it's going to smell different. Well, some people say it smells nasty.

The only brand I like is by The NoOodle Company of Illinois. I can't remember where I first found them but I believe you can order online from the company or if you happen to watch QVC, the company is highlighted from time to time.

As to preparing them, when you open the package, dump the contents into a colander and rinse under cold water. The company says for 1 minute---I say at least 3 minutes.

Then place the product into a skillet and *dry fry* over medium heat until all liquid evaporates. I tend to have the heat a bit lower than medium. At that point you top the noodles right in the pan with cooked sauce, veggies or whatever you want. The noodles absorb the flavor of whatever you add.

The company says you can also add them to cold salads by marinating the towel dried noodles in your favorite salad dressing for a minimum of an hour.

You can also add 4 oz of noodles to 8 oz of broth for soup, again according to the company. I have not tried this.

I believe the recipe forum here has discussed the product. Again, I am not only celiac but have a load of food sensitivities and allergies---this product is advertised as no calories, no fat, no net carbs, no soy and no gluten.

Lin
  • Morgori
    Options
    testing

I'm trying to get your request RobinsEgg but I'm not having much luck :happy:

This is an underlined bolded red font
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @toots--My grandparents and most of our extended family lived in Detroit area, but we have some distant relatives still in Mexico. I know they are from just outside of Mexico City, but I forget the name of the town. I've never been there to visit. The one time my mother went, she took my little sister but I was busy at college, so I couldn't go.

what a shame. the embassy has been sending out periodic notices that it's no longer safe in Mexico for American citizens so it might be awhile before you have another potential chance to visit. Some of my family is from outside of Mexico City too. But they're actually from all over. I guess they did some traveling to find themselves a honey :laugh: Some are from Loreto, Baja California Sur which is apparently quite the tourist destination now. But they've been living in Cali, LA and Santa Barbara since the mid-1800's. Some are from San José de las Cañas, Durango which is like seriously nothing. A speck on the map in the middle of nowhere. Honestly, I couldn't find a single couple in that whole side of the family where the husband and wife were from the same town. Or even a close town. Not what you think of when you consider the early 1800's.

@monarchris, I have your son as a mother. she gets angry at me for whatever imagined infraction and then she texts or emails me absolutely terrible things, calls me cuss words and insulting names and says she never wants to see me again, even though i almost completely support her, and overall does things no mother should ever do. then, a few days later, usually when she needs something from me, she'll just call me up like nothing ever happened. i know that she has a legitimate mental issue, my guess is a personality disorder, maybe borderline or narcissistic, but I wonder how much abuse a person should take even from a mentally ill relative. At any rate, you aren't alone.
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness:

My goals for the weekend are to stay under...even though yesterday I didn't...but I'm okay with that. Once day won't ruin all the good days.

Saturday Success:

I successfully survived my first week of school AND managed to stick to my workout routines in the early mornings. My NSV for the week is that I can now run 5 minutes straight without dying! It's such a great feeling! :)

@monachris...I said a prayer for you and I hope things with your son get better.
  • emanuel1908
    Options
    hahaha I want to rediscover those too! I've been doing this for about a month now and I really enjoy it GOOD LUCK:smile::smile:
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good morning (almost afternoon) all. It is such a beautiful day today, nice to have a cool morning for a change!!! Am in good spirits today thanks to all my MFP friends giving me support when I really needed it. I know this to shall pass, but I am setting boundaries on how much I will let other people's issues affect me and that for me is a big NSV.

@Robin, feeling your pain right now in my feet and hips. Art isn't playing nice today but won't let that stop me.

About those noodles with the funny name, think I'm going to try to find some this weekend and try them. Thank you all for sharing about them and I will look for the recommended brand.

Saturday successes include walking Belle 3 times this week (will be 4 by this evening). Its a start. I am going to try to go a little farther next week. Another success has been getting into my 3XL TShirts again and not looking like a stuffed sausage. I have been wondering why my waist measurement hasn't gone down much until I realized it is now down around my hips, oh well that's what age and gravity do to a body!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Saturday success: This old skirt I found in my closet fell off me this morning, so I checked my measurements, and I've lost inches. I was complaining because the scale wasn't moving fast enough, but I guess I'm still progressing!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I will be announcing at the roll-over (at the end of page 20, newbies, when we start a new page 1) a new policy for this thread. To keep the thread from moving any faster, we are going to close membership to any more newbies. Be happy for yourselves that you have joined this group in the nick of time! All of you are staying with us, we will just not accept new members after the roll-over. I will be posting at the top of our new page 1 a message like this:

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY POSTED TO THE THREAD YOU ARE WELCOME TO RETURN.

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE CLOSED DOOR POLICY BUT UNDERSTAND IT IS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF OUR ALREADY TOO LARGE GROUP

• ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Saturday Successes: Um... I've successfully cut out soda for now. I know it's just empty calories but they really just taste so good. Why can't stuff that's good for you taste nearly as good as stuff that's bad for you? lol (always wondered that). Oh, hey and I haven't gotten sick yet! (dad's been sick for the past couple of days- thankfully I haven't seemed to catch it)
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I will be announcing at the roll-over (at the end of page 20, newbies, when we start a new page 1) a new policy for this thread. To keep the thread from moving any faster, we are going to close membership to any more newbies. Be happy for yourselves that you have joined this group in the nick of time! All of you are staying with us, we will just not accept new members after the roll-over. I will be posting at the top of our new page 1 a message like this:

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY POSTED TO THE THREAD YOU ARE WELCOME TO RETURN.

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE CLOSED DOOR POLICY BUT UNDERSTAND IT IS FOR THE BETTERMENT OF OUR ALREADY TOO LARGE GROUP

And for the first time in my life, I get to be part of an exclusive club. :laugh:
  • Morgori
    Options
    testing

This test might be done please continue to eat healthy and exercise.
    Carry on!
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Tina - Holy Moley!! Excellent job on the activity levels. (Love the new profile pic too- you have gorgeous skin- probably all of that water you drink?) :drinker:

@Christine - I hope you had a good night's sleep. You have such an inspiring way of "bouncing back" and overcoming the hurdles that are placed in your way. :flowerforyou:

@zkjmum - Welcome! Single mom of three AND going to school??? Excellent! You already inspire me! :)

@Sara - Great job on the workouts. When my hip finally gets to a point where I can do more than stretching and walking, I may have to look into the YAYOG. (Saying the acronym as a word still makes me giggle :laugh: )

@Robin - I am so inspired and happy for you!!! Great job on pushing yourself to meet your goals and kick some tushy! You are almost there and I fully believe that you will be able to do 3x a week on your swimming in no time! AND Yay for veggies!! :happy:

@SaniD - Great job on the loss! Don't beat yourself up about the less than healthy dinner choice. Sometimes it just happens. I know my body appreciates more nutritious calories, so as long as I have more nutrient dense days than not so nutritious days, things will work out. Keep up the great work!

@Jana - Yay for not only surviving the first week of school, but sticking to your plan! Regarding running for 5 minutes straight - :drinker: You inspire me girl!

Talking noodles- I have had the quinoa noodles and love them. One of my besties is gluten free and is a sponsor of GF products through a foodie group she created in Seattle. I am not GF, but have found that I love some of the foods she finds. I am going to ask about her experience with Shirataki Noodles.. I think I have to try them! :)

Thank you for all of your well wishes about my dumb hip! It still hurts like a curse word, but I did walk yesterday- and it only seemed to hurt extra for a short while after. I am supposed to go to two festivals this weekend, and may give up one in favor of a regular, paced walk. Walking the festivals and fairs, I am sure burns some calories, but the consistent walks are what seems to really be my secret to success.

Speaking of success... I am just 2lbs away from my lowest weight last month. I had gained some weight back, I believe due to many factors, but am now back in the game! I do record my weight most days (gains and losses), so that I can see patterns and figure out what works and what doesn't. Right now, I'm on what works I guess! :bigsmile:

Side note: When you "decline" a friendship request on MFP, does it tell the other person you "rejected" them? I don't want to hurt people's feelings... but my "list" of MFP pals is getting longer than I think I can manage, so only want to take on friends that have similar struggles and goals. I read ALL of my pals' diaries, when they post them- some to inspire me, some to inspire them, so if I end up with a kazillion friends.... you get my point I am sure. BUT I don't want to make anyone feel bad if I don't "accept".

- wow, I'm chatty today. Sorry!
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Saturday Successes: Um... I've successfully cut out soda for now. I know it's just empty calories but they really just taste so good. Why can't stuff that's good for you taste nearly as good as stuff that's bad for you? lol (always wondered that). Oh, hey and I haven't gotten sick yet! (dad's been sick for the past couple of days- thankfully I haven't seemed to catch it)

Cutting down on soda and finally getting it completely out of my diet was a huge step for me, and don't worry, you probably won't want it at all soon or even think about it after a few weeks.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Saturday - Success ---hi all---new to the thread. I stayed in green all last week and all this week, and I truly tracked it all! No sneaky-sneaks! I bought a swimsuit----now, I need to renew my Y subscription and start going!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Naceto - I am in the same pickle as you when it comes to "friends" requests. I have way too many now, many that I am really not familiar with in any sense of the word - they don't participate in this forum - they friended me at random, but with a note attached so appealling I could not refuse them. I prefer friends who are from this forum so that I can relate more closely to them as this forum is the one I am so active in. I don't know if when I decline a friend request if they are told of the denial or what, but for the last year, I have declined 99% of the friend requests I get because there is no message in them and I don't recognize the name. I can't do any justice to new friends at this point, as just reading this forum and entering calories takes such a chunk o' time! I will say no one has shot back a response to being declined, so I don't think they are told.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a nice night. Real quick to Monarchis I just wanted to extennd some sympathy and empathy. My oldest daughter cut me out of her life a year ago because I couldnt be the perfect leave it to beaver mom her boyfriends mom was. There were lots of issues but it didnt make it any less painful. I just remind myself she is only 22 and apparently needs to spend some time in the real world and see how hard things can be. I still send her stuff on holidays to let her know I am thinking of her and I love her but that is all for now until she is ready to come to me. So anyway just wanted to let you know you werent alone and kudos for not running to the food when that happened because I know just how hard that was. Now on to more positive things. Great job everyone for all the great choices you have been making this week . I think my NSV would be that I have resisted the late night snacking all week. I dont know why but around nine or ten everynight I start thinking about food and then I want to eat said food, but this week I successfully managed to stay out of the kitchen when the cravings kicked in. I cant wait for monday as it will be my first weigh in day and i have been jonsing to see how I am doing. I am being strict about only weighing once a week because of the way the numbers can fluctuate. So happy saturday everyone I hope you all have a great day.
  • HeatheraRyan
    HeatheraRyan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success: Even though everyone that was supposed to go to the Farmer's Market with me flaked out, I still went and got the stuff I needed to make my spaghetti squash dinner. Hopefully it will taste really yummy, not really expecting it to taste like spaghetti but I need to do something. I also started wearing my fit bug so we will see how many steps I do a day and what little things I can do to move just a tiny bit more.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @jt--good luck with your 1st weigh-in! :flowerforyou:

@robin and naceto--people are not told when you reject their friend requests. Most probably have no idea b/c if they are just friending you at random, they most likely aren't keeping track of all the requests they've sent out. Likewise, friends are not notified if you delete them. I go through my friend page once a week and delete anyone who hasn't logged on in a month (unless I know they are on hiatus) in order to keep my friend list manageable. Even so, I am about the worst friend outside of this forum b/c I almost never post on anyone's wall anymore--barely even glance at the newsfeed b/c I just don't have time.

@raven--I bet as you stick to the more nutritious stuff, your taste buds will start to change. I really don't find a lot of junky foods as appealing even when I do give in and have some. At my last 5k, they provided a post-race snack of a cheese quesadilla and a small cake donut with sprinkles. The donut tasted DISGUSTING--it was super greasy and sugary--the only reason I ate it was I needed the calories after the run and there were no other options available. If you told me a year ago that I would call a donut (ANY donut) gross, I would have laughed in your face, but I guess my palate is changing.

@jana--great job on the run!! :flowerforyou:

For those interested, here is the link to the NoOodle Company that Lin was talking about:

http://www.nooodle.com/

It sounds like you can also find them at health food stores and some regular grocery stores--look in the refrigerated cases where you find bagged salad/veggies.

Saturday Success:
    Well I walked the dog and mowed part of the lawn (DH mowed the rest) and tonight I will be at a festival dancing--so lots of calories burned today. Also going to a pre-festival cookout this afternoon. My BFF is having it at her house and she is providing boneless skinless chicken breast and asked that everyone else bring a dish to pass. She asked me to bring some sort of potato salad, so I am bringing it, but told her I will also bring my quinoa salad. This means I will have some really healthy foods to eat for the bulk of my meal. I DO plan to have a few goodies, but I will limit it to only those treats that look amazing, and then I will only have a small taste.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks Robin and Skinnyjeanz! I don't feel like such a meany for declining people now!

Skinnyjeanz- you are a terrific friend because every time you log a fast walk or run, I am inspired! You don't have to comment or post on someone's wall in order to be a good MFP pal. Just saying... I appreciate you here, where you give great advice and motivation, but also as a direct pal who provides inspiration with actions! :drinker: