Are there any teachers out there?

Options

Replies

• turkkm
    turkkm Posts: 66
    Options
    turkkm~I'm secondary, not elementary, so I might be completely offtrack with this suggestion, but... When your kiddos go to specials, can you do laps around the building, walk the halls, anything like that? My school did a walking competition a couple of years ago, and several of us would get our steps in by walking during our conference periods.

Thanks so much for this reply! We only get 220 minutes per week planning and it seems I need every minute to prep my hands on first grade lessons. Also, we lose our planning periods due to meetings and spot subbing. We have trouble getting subs in our building because our school is broke and they pay subs such a low amount. So, when someone is out sick, we may just have to go teach in someone else's room during our planning time, ugh! Also, RTI meetings and other meetings are held during our planning time, so the time is not always our own. I could walk the halls after school. I am thinking this is the best option for me. I have sort of a long drive home and in the winter it is dark when I get home which prevents walking outside. I do have some dvd's I could do in the evening. I just need to do them when I get home, lol! No more excuses.....I just have to do something this school year in the way of exercise! Even walking the building for 20 minutes at the end of the day would help!
  • minnow8157
    Options
    I just joined...I am a teacher too!!
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yay for teachers! <3
    I will be student teaching in the fall and returning to the field in the spring. I have taught Secondary English and been a Paraeducator for Special Education.
  • turkkm
    Options
    Welcome new members! I have only been using this site a short time and I can already see it will be a great tool for me. Good luck to you!
  • dawnal1028
    dawnal1028 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    turkkm - We sent out emails for after school workouts. Most people can make it most days, but of course there's always some other commitments which interfere, but for the most part, we can all get in at least 3 workouts per week. Everyone has SmartBoards, so we do videos. Some days are cardio, some are strength training, and there are usually a few who stay after the workout to work on abs as well. I always keep an extra set of workout clothes at school so there's no excuse for not joining.

A group of teachers at my school did this last year and I wanted to join, but they were doing the Insanity Workout. I tried it once and my knees were absolutely killing me (that never happens with any other exercise)! If they wanted to do videos that were a little better for us older teachers, I would join them for sure. We have a lot of younger teachers in our building and I am happy to see them focused on health! Right now I am just planning on making sure I hit the gym after school every day. I will be happy to tell my principal I have to leave school at a reasonable time, like 4:30, so I can make my health a priority!
  • dawnal1028
    dawnal1028 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks so much for this reply! We only get 220 minutes per week planning and it seems I need every minute to prep my hands on first grade lessons. Also, we lose our planning periods due to meetings and spot subbing. We have trouble getting subs in our building because our school is broke and they pay subs such a low amount. So, when someone is out sick, we may just have to go teach in someone else's room during our planning time, ugh! Also, RTI meetings and other meetings are held during our planning time, so the time is not always our own. I could walk the halls after school. I am thinking this is the best option for me. I have sort of a long drive home and in the winter it is dark when I get home which prevents walking outside. I do have some dvd's I could do in the evening. I just need to do them when I get home, lol! No more excuses.....I just have to do something this school year in the way of exercise! Even walking the building for 20 minutes at the end of the day would help!
    [/quote]

I have the same situation. I never have time for anything BUT planning during my specials, and with our new principal coming in, she will be pushing for more grade level planning, I know. I am planning to leave the building at 4:30 every day (20 minutes past our contracted time) to head to the gym. Walking the building also sounds great. We have some killer staircases in our building and I bet I could get an awesome workout walking the stairs after the kids have left.
  • livingandlovinglife
    livingandlovinglife Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a teacher too! Welcome!!!
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a teacher also. I teach 4th grade. When school got out in May this year, I restarted with MFP. I wanted to spend the summer jumps starting my new way of eating. When school started August 8th, I was down 32 pounds. I still have a long way to go.
    Anyone, feel free to add me. :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I homeschool. I'm more of a faciltator than a teacher, really.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a sub too! I wish I was hard core, could somebody define that? And post instructions? Or make an immunization or something, some hard core pills I could take? I just have too much fun and then they think I'm "nice" or "cool" which bugs me because I'd rather they think I'm horrible. :p Seriously. Any hints to being hard core would be awesome.

Add me if you want, I'm not around much because I log with the BodyMedia software that came with my armband but it would be easy for me to switch back to this format, and just use my calorie count at the end of the day. That works for so many people, but I'm hypothyroid and switching my meds around a little - my life is pretty much a weight loss crap shoot. I am super disciplined usually, and I feel like there's no way for me to eat enough calories, but then I do something stupid like today's two ice cream bars, they don't have that many calories but still make me feel crappy, and I already felt crappy today. And then I feel crappy for being such a complainer.

In other news I found my MP3 player with the couch to 5K noise on it, so I'm going to put that on and walk/jog in front of my TV today so maybe my body will get some circulation and endorphins and feel better.
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher. I start school up in a month and I am getting nervous because during the school year I often lack the energy to go to the gym and keep up with my work outs. I need motivation to maintain work outs.

Princess, I find if you press through the tiredness, the workout will actually give you more energy; many times what we perceive as fatigue comes from the stress from the day. The exercise will actually help alleviate the stress by giving us a physical release of it. Sometimes "resting" is actually the worst thing we can do if we are stressed.

Agreed! I was not a morning person either. But I started walking in the mornings. When school started, I got up earlier so I could fit a walk in. I've only been back with students for 3 days, but those 3 days I have had more energy and I did not get tired until the end of day at home. I do not drink caffeine either.
  • annfuller1
    Options
    all I can say is packed lunch xx
  • artsykris
    Options
    I'm a teacher. K-12 art. I too feel the pain of the teacher's lounge.
  • turkkm
    Options
    Hi! I am a teacher also. I teach 4th grade. When school got out in May this year, I restarted with MFP. I wanted to spend the summer jumps starting my new way of eating. When school started August 8th, I was down 32 pounds. I still have a long way to go.
    Anyone, feel free to add me. :)

Wow! Great summer accomplishment! Keep up the good work this school year!
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    I teach Pre-Kindergarten. Feel free to add me!
  • englishtch
    Options
    I teach 8th grade English in Texas, and I started MFP three weeks ago. I also started going to the gym around 5:30 am hoping to get used to it before school starts back.

My classroom is a five minute walk from the lounge, so I seldom go there. My worry is when I get home and I'm tired - all I want to do is sit down with a book and a snack.
  • turkkm
    Options
    I teach 8th grade English in Texas, and I started MFP three weeks ago. I also started going to the gym around 5:30 am hoping to get used to it before school starts back.

My classroom is a five minute walk from the lounge, so I seldom go there. My worry is when I get home and I'm tired - all I want to do is sit down with a book and a snack.

The lounge is pretty far for me too and I only get a 30 minute lunch. I ate with a group in another teacher's room last year and that worked well. My struggle is with the evenings. When I am exhausted I make porr choices. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    SPED Teacher here...go back to work on Monday and kids come the following Monday....
  • jessp2011
    jessp2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I teach 3rd grade, and I definitely think it is hard to stick to a plan of eating healthy and exercising during the school year. I find myself always making excuses such as lesson planning or grading papers. I'm also finishing my master's this year as well, so life feels very busy all of the time. I hope that this year, I am able to manage the stress better and create a good habit of exercising and eating healthy each day. Does anyone have any good tips of how to make this successful?
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Teacher (ESL) for 13 years (Grades 6-12), and have my district administrators license, which allows me to be anywhere from an assistant principal/principal up to Superintendent of schools. Tired of the Department of Education in NY. Anyone know someone who needs a veteran teacher/administrator? I'm no stranger to dedication. I figure I'd just throw that out there, you never know...