No compliments on weight loss...

Options
13»

Replies

• dawnal1028
    dawnal1028 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hugs for you and I feel your pain, I too work at a school and people say nothing but is that all you' re going to eat for lunch?? :laugh: the jokes on them, I plan on being around to enjoy retirement, them well.....

I'm a teacher and can relate so well to this and a few of the other comments from teachers! I became vegan last November, lost 20 pounds pretty quickly, and no one said anything at school. All I hear is, "When are you going to eat meat again?" or get weird looks at my healthy lunches. I've been teaching a long time but it never ceases to amaze me how teachers act when there are situations like this.
    Everyone have a great school year and I hope everybody gets recognized for their efforts, too. :smile:
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    meshashesha20 your comment actually made me laugh out loud! LOL Yeah I don't want anyone gloating over my dentist or Dr's visits either...
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I was younger I took up bike riding and weight lifting. I lost a lot of weight and the only difference I noticed was, people stopped calling me "Fat *kitten*" and "Chunkers".
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    definitely know what you mean!! i've noticed that when you're taller (i'm 5'8 also) we carry our weight better so we have to lose much more for it to be noticeable to other people.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just keep up the hard work, they'll pay off soon. You always have us here on MFP.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 and no one noticed...made me so crazy (because I had worked SO HARD), I cut off all my hair just to have SOMETHING reflect the change I was feeling on the inside and then everyone noticed the weight loss. Weird.

The people at my son's therapy place though, they never said a word despite seeing me 3 days a week. Then when I got there one day, I got out of the van and my pants were slipping down (LOL) and as I was pulling them up, my son's physical therapist happened to be getting out of his vehicle and saw me (embarrassing, much?) and his jaw dropped and he was all "DANG GIRL! How much have you lost?!" and I was proud to say 90 lbs. (but still a tiny bit annoyed that it had taken 90 lbs for anyone there to notice! LOL)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have never found anyone jealous when I lose weight. Only compliments.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So, I am doing this FOR ME, but does anyone else get sick of.people not noticing your efforts? I have lost almost 30 lbs this year and started weight training and gone from a size 16 to a 10. I am 5'8 (and a half) and started at 190 and am almost down to 160. I dropped 15 lbs this summer from working my rear end off and just saw some colleagues I haven't seen since school let out (I teach) and NO ONE commented. No, "Wow, you are looking good" or "Have you lost weight?" I just feel like I am working so hard, and no one notices/cares. I guess I just need an internet hug :/.

Going from a size 16 to a size 10 you will definitely see the difference.
  • kittyconni
    Options
    First of all....CONGRATS!! Losing weight takes determination, sacrifice and hard work. It is a HUGE lifestyle change and you should be congratulated!!

I have lost 55 pounds so far. Went from a tight size 20 to an 11/12. I am a nurse and wore the same scrubs for awhile so people started noticing when my scrubs started looking more like loose fitting pajamas! Also, I wear more form fitting clothes and people notice.

Don't take it too personally that people aren't giving you a big high 5. Weight is a really touchy subject when it comes to women (and some men). Just keep posting your progress on the MFP boards...you will get plenty of congrats!!

Keep up the great work!
  • dixnshae
    dixnshae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Too many compliments and I lose motivation to keep going. I guess I need to still see myself as needing to improve more and the suggestion (in my mind) that I might have already gotten there is too easy to go with. Some compliments are great though
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I commented on your achievement
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    So, I am doing this FOR ME, but does anyone else get sick of.people not noticing your efforts? I have lost almost 30 lbs this year and started weight training and gone from a size 16 to a 10. I am 5'8 (and a half) and started at 190 and am almost down to 160. I dropped 15 lbs this summer from working my rear end off and just saw some colleagues I haven't seen since school let out (I teach) and NO ONE commented. No, "Wow, you are looking good" or "Have you lost weight?" I just feel like I am working so hard, and no one notices/cares. I guess I just need an internet hug :/.

They might be afraid to insult you if they "notice" that you were bigger before. Some people get really offended if you point out that they lost weight (not me mind you, I'd be freaking thrilled!!!) because they like to pretend like they were never bigger than they are now and especially in the workforce some people prefer to play it safe.

I told my sister I liked her new shorts one time and got punched in the gut. Come to find out they just fit better because she had lost weight. Like I said, some people take it differently than others!
  • ShellySwickSmall57
    Options
    That can be a double edged sword,,,,,people have said to me,," you look great" and i think,,i thought i looked good before too,,,i am a sexy 55 yrd old nana with some extra weight,,lol,,,if they dont like it,,dont look at it,,,ya know what i mean? :flowerforyou:
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too, and I think that when we don't see each other over the summer, sometimes it's awkward to come back together and try to catch up. People are probably overwhelmed with all they have going on to get ready and maybe are just trying to even wrap their heads around all the changes - including yours.

Also, teachers can be some of the unhealthiest people - stress eating and goodies in the teacher's lounge - so there are probably a few who are just plain jealous of your success. I've been slowly and steadily dropping weight and getting into better shape for over a year, and I can count on one hand the number of colleagues who have said anything to me. C'est la vie! Like you said, this is for YOU.
  • kathyfeelgood
    kathyfeelgood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I commend you for all your efforts. People that did not notice, just weren't paying attention.
    It's how you feel. You know your accomplishments. Maybe a before and after pic would make
    you feel better.

You have just given me inspiration as a newbie to this site. I challenge people to notice and
    if they don't, I will say, hey "Look at me"< I am down __ pds and I feel healthy, How are you feeling?

Have a wonderful day..

My Motto:

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT

Kathy in Ms. :flowerforyou:
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and big hugs from here.

I'm a teacher too, I go back to work tomorrow morning. I have worked on losing weight and changing my diet all summer long. I have already been telling myself that "no one is going to notice" to try and protect myself. I don't think I've lost enough yet even though the clothes from last year are too big.

Don't give up, you're absolutely right, we're doing this for ourselves no one else. Hang in there, the stress of teaching and managing students is the hardest thing we do and our weight usually shows it.

I'm not going to let it get to me this year, yoga, meditation and some reflection will hopefully help with the stress.