Embarrassing but help!! Constipated!!

Options

Replies

• tpenksa1
    Options
    dieters tea. it is sold at rite aid. don't know if you have one of them or not. but it works well. usually within a few hours.
  • Jenn09870
    Jenn09870 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have never been a daily person, and now have lower spine problems and take multiple medications that make things much worse.
    One of the more unusual things i found that helped was Lemon Juice- fresh juice from one lemon once daily- that seemed to really regulate things for me with no side effects.

Have used MiraLax, it helps greatly if you take it in advance of a crisis. At the point where you need to go NOW, it just isn't fast acting for me. Is a good softener and came highly recommended by my Dr.s .

The best thing so far has been the Walmart brand Psyllium Husks- Equate Fiber Therapy. One teaspoon on a bowl of cereal, I can't taste it like that and it really does regulate. you can take up to 3 times a day. I've had good results just from once a day.
    If I skip too many days, I am back where I started.

Also- if you are in urgent need of assistance and don't want to take a laxative, you could try some Mineral Oil, it is inexpensive and lubricates to make going easier.

I know what you mean about embarrassing, having dealt with this for years and both talking to Doctors and researching for myself I have found that while the subject is not the most pleasant it is not an uncommon issue.

Also, found that while most people consider 'daily' to be the definition of regular- it is not always the case for everyone. Unless there is urgency to go and it is not happening or unless it has been more than 3 days my research has told me that there isn't necessarily a cause for worry, that things may be slow but it does not mean constipated automatically.

These are my personal experiences, the best thing to do in any case would be to research anything before trying for yourself and/or consult a doctor.

Edited to add- tried the Equate Fiber Therapy (psyllium husks) in water and in yogurt- ewww. Don't know if it would be better with different brands, but that was disgusting. On cereal has been the only way I have found tolerable so far.

Hope you feel better.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If your diet is fine, and you exercise you may consider medications if you are taking any (they might be causing it), or in my case I went to a chiropractor and found my lower back was messed up a few adjustments and I was free! I don't even like chiropractors, but an injury adn no results from sports Dr. I thought I give it a try...
  • ChristineFredrick1
    Options
    I know its weird, but I occassionally have the issue too. One thing that works for me is eating sugar free twizlers, which are higher in calories, but they do the trick and are a nice treat.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    I used to have the same challenge. What worked for me:

- Metamucil Orange in cup of water one day
    - 2 Tbsp of flax seeds in my protein shake the next
    - Alternate
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    fibre first cereal
    granola
    chia seeds
    yoghurt
    acidophilus
    lots of veggies and fruit
    healthy oils and oily foods (avocado, olives,etc)
    and at least 3L of water a day
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's which has caused mild strictures (bowel narrowing) due to scar tissue, I have quite a slow bowel now and have to prevent constipation or I get other problems.

The things I've found to work are:

Limit grains
    Limit or cut out legumes (beans, lentils etc) as I actually find these block me up.
    Kara coconut milk every day (good fats)
    fish oil, vit c and magnesium supplements
    Potassium rich foods - you can miss out on potassium when losing weight, and low potassium levels can cause constipation. Bananas are good, apricots, dried fruit, nuts, turkey, avocadoes, and milk.
    getting enough water
    prune juice in the morning
    Probiotics - I use optibac

I am still on laxatives but a much lower dose than I was so the right foods definitely help :)
  • harrisaman
    Options
    Eat a Fiber One bar...It does the trick every time!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Your post used to be me! I started the Eat to Live "diet" and have never felt better in my life! "going" now is a pleasure if you can call it that rather than a struggle. Lots, and I mean LOTS of green veggies, raw veggies will do the trick! Citrucel and Metamucil are basically expensive and sugar coated psyllium fiber husks and give you maybe 2 - 4 grams of fiber depending on how much you take. Plus a lot of extra sugar and "stuff" are added usually. Go to the health food store or whole foods and get regular Psyllium fiber husks (from a bin) if you have an emergency and add things like applesauce or chocolate milk or something to get it down. I used to take that in 2 tablespoon amounts mixed with something (it will get gloppy so applesauce was good for me or cocoa powder in milk for a pudding effect). I even took it twice a day in emergencies but be sure to drink plenty of water afterwards to wash it down your throat so it won't obstruct you. Then start adding beans, and tons of veggies and some fruits to your diet. Check out ETL at www.drfuhrman.com I get 50 - 80 gms of fiber a day into my diet from actual food. Fiber supplements are a waste of money. You can train your body to go on a regular basis like you would never believe from eating real food! Check out my food diaries. Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I hope you read down this far.. Take Magnesium. I did so after going low carb...it was adivce I got from my low carb website. I took it to hlep with restless legs at night... but A side effect is a loose stool. It also relaxes you so you can sleep better. I love this stuff....it is natural.
  • galaxiasmama
    Options
    Okay...this might seem weird but I just found this website a couple minutes ago: squattypotty.com .........maybe it's actually a good solution?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with this for years. I have tried everything, with only temporary relief. I finally found my magic solution! I take target's geneic version of Align, it's a "4X probiotic". A little pricy and it took about a month before I noticed a huge difference but it's worth every penny for me as I am finally regular after suffering from severe constipation for as long as I can remember.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dieters tea. it is sold at rite aid. don't know if you have one of them or not. but it works well. usually within a few hours.
    This is basically the same thing as her "smooth move" tea: a stimulant laxative.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know its weird, but I occassionally have the issue too. One thing that works for me is eating sugar free twizlers, which are higher in calories, but they do the trick and are a nice treat.
    Is that because they have sugar alcohols?
    Those never work for me. Just give me gas and a tummy ache.
  • skittlelife1
    Options
    eat more fiber!
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    WOW!!!! THANKS FOR THE LOVE EVERYBODY!!!! I will stop with the smooth move I am making some black beans to have on hand, I do eat a ton of fresh raw veggies, not much dairy and a meat only one a day and usually fish or chicken, no fiber from cereal or anything, so i got some fiber one, some flax seed oil, and some beans..... I will let you all know!!!
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Senna tea is what just helped me recently, but it's only for short term use.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Add ground flax to anything you can!
  • mcarrillo5167
    mcarrillo5167 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Carrot juice seems to do the trick. Juice some carrots and you'll be good, drink about 8 oz.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Try having an apple or 2 and a cup of tea for breakfast.
    Oatmeal is also good.

Avoid cheese.
    Try Miralax, maybe?