Does anyone just run anymore?

Options
Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

Why does it need to be so scheduled, scientific and regimented?

Does anyone else just RUN?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    im doing the couch to 5k for my own enjoyment but also for safety reasons i have issues with one of my knee and feel a slow progression into the running is safer because that knee has gone out in the past for random reasons
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For myself the fact that it is regimented and the fact it slowly builds up the ability to run the C25K plan is perfect. Some people need plans and organised exercise in order to motivate ourselves into doing these things, some people, like yourself, can just do it and get the benefit doing it their way.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Programs are great, they keep people, including myself accountable.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it helps to have a guide. I'm a mother of 2 small children, I work...blah, blah. I'm a busy lady. Most of my life has to on a schedule and workouts are too. My husband or the sitter also finds it helpful if I give them an estimated time arrival. 8 miles, I'll be home in a little over an hour. When I'm not training for something, I still have an idea of how many miles I'd like to run.

The freeing part of the run for me is to just head out my door, kidless.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Who cares? Kind of wondering why this bothers you. Society should be happy there is a program out there helping people get in shape and get healthy!
  • edd43
    edd43 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've got the C25K app, but I never remember to bring my phone to use it, so I just plug in my headphones and go. I try and increase my running by 1/4 mile every time I go out to ease myself into running longer distances, even though I go at a slower pace. I'm starting to find that I really enjoy running, and it's on my own rules and what I can do, rather than on a plan. It works for me that way, even though I do like the structure of the C25K program.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I do. But I agree with other posters that they can be very valuable. I've just never needed one for my purposes
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Running makes me want to shoot myself.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Some days. I am sort of following C25K, other days I just do what I can.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I tried couch to 5k and HATED it! I just started running. I would run to that tree, then walk to that driveway, then run to that whatever, and so on. I just made goals for myself. I think some people need the program, some don't. I just like to take off and go. I'm not a huge runner, can't go more than 3 miles at once, but I like to have my own music on and run, run, run!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like the apps because they push me when I probably wouldn't push myself. I'm not competitive so it is just easier for me to have the app and think "Only 10 more minute, I can do this"
  • LivvyLinde
    Options
    That's how I did it when I started running years ago. I just decided to do it one day, and I worked up to 13 miles. Then in past 2 years, I've struggled with a lot of pretty debilitating health issues (internal) that made it impossible for me to keep running. I put on weight, too, which is going to make it harder to get going again with running.

So I might try to break it down into smaller running portions, just to get up to speed again. But I think you just need to do what works for you physically and mentally! Be free and run as you will!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I started running everyday during my lunch break and I built up to doing a 5k. I lost all my motivation though because no matter how often or how long I ran I never lost any weight. In fact, I just kept gaining :'(
  • tigonometry
    tigonometry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The reason I do C25k is because, at the point I started, I needed a little structure and pacing in order to get up to a place where I could run comfortably.

And I'm almost there.

Once I complete the program I plan on running for the hell of it, but C25K is a great way for people that aren't used to it to ease into running.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I need the plan because if I don't have a specific goal, and a specific plan to get there, life is too chaotic and I won't get out there and run on a regular basis. I find excuses, I justify needing more sleep, etc. I need the goal that there is a marathon in X weeks and if I don't follow the plan I won't be successful in completing it.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I go out and "just run" all the time.

But I also do scheduled "training" when I'm preparing for an actual race. I do an actual training schedule because it keeps me accountable and it keeps me focused and on-track to finish/improve my previous race time.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm just running. I like the idea of C25K, but I don't always have time to do the full amount, so I'm happy doing a couple of one milers in the week, and a bit more on the weekends.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K program because I wanted to run, but had tried running on my own once before, when heavier, and caused myself to suffer from plantar fasciitis, which was very painful, and kept me from exercising as much as I needed. I then avoided running for a few years, and started back up this April. I "graduated" from C25K last month and now am just working on increasing my speed a bit more, then will do like you, and increase my distance. My mother, who used to run, says running isn't good for the body, but it's doing amazing things to the shape of mine, so I will continue to do it. It feels amazing to say that I took up running in my 40s as a large woman! :-)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    SImple, some people like the structure (I am like that) but others rebel against the structure. If you are more likely to run if you don't structure things then go for it!

What's important is what keeps you motivated and active :)