Does anyone just run anymore?

Options

Replies

• phillieschic
    Options
    While I started with C25K, now, months later...I just run. On good days, I run for a long time (and hour or so) and on not so good days, I run for whatever distance I can get out of myself...but usually nothing less than a 5K.

I love the free-ness of running.
    I love the ME part of running.
    I love the after-high.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    because a training schedule allows a beginner to learn to run without injury not going too fast or doing to start , and then there are people looking for pbs so you have to schedule in a fartlek run a steady run and a hill session and then the long slow run all these need to be done for strengh and endurance for the runner who races so he/she doesn,t overtrain . you do it your way let others do it theirs
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just run. I don't think about the skinny jeans I want, or the races I could win... I think about flying faster than I did the day before.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

Why does it need to be so scheduled, scientific and regimented?

Does anyone else just RUN?

What you described is more or less what C25K is. The only difference is, because it involves scheduled running/walking segments, it ensures that you stop running before you become so fatigued that you can't run at all for the rest of the session. Doing running and walking increments actually helps you build endurance faster because you are getting your HR up, then letting it recover a little, then you bump it up again, then let it recover, etc... I have found that I've made faster progress doing this than when I just tried to run as long as I could in one shot. It may not work this way for everyone, but it's what works best for me at my fitness level.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yup, me! I just run :) After taking my gym's studio fitness classes for several months I decided to take up running during the classes I didn't like so much and I went for time... I started at 7 minutes and gradually increased my time by how strong I was feeling that day... I'm up to 30 minutes now and I'm good there. I leave the house on my "running" days and do my half hour route. I haven't run any marathons or 5K's... I'm just not interested in that. Running around my neighborhood is good enough for me.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm in week 3 of the C25K program (again x2, because it's harrrrd) and honestly really enjoy just getting out there and using my body to improve itself. It's difficult but the exhiliaration of getting fit by simply doing what humans were born to do - run - is exciting! The world is our playground; use it!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I "just ran" for a year, but now i have my first 10K in october, so i did print out a "program." I do better if someone is telling me what to do. :) Once I do the 10K, though, and am confident in going longer distances, I will just run again.
  • PrettyScenery
    PrettyScenery Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In the past I tried the couch to 5k and about 3 weeks in my husband asked why are you doing that run-walk thing? and he stated "just run!" I explained to him that it helps to build up your endurance over time...blah, blah, blah....Of course I stopped using it but continued on with aerobics and some light weight lifting. For some odd reason on this past Friday and Saturday I decided to "just run" and I ran 1.5 miles nonstop in no time. I was shocked. I know this may not seem like a long distance to some but my point is JUST RUN! Give it a try and you might be suprised. :smile:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Beginners going out and "just running" without any source of structure is a recipe to get hurt.

I know, because I did it.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use a program too. I like it because it tells me what to do. Without it, I would have just quit. I know myself that I need to see some sort of progression or I won't be happy doing it. If I am not happy doing it, then I quit doing it. I don't think I could have done this without the program.

Last run for C25K is tomorrow!

Same here; I need someone (politely!) barking orders at me so I know what I'm doing. Good job on the last run; are you going to start signing up for any 5ks or move on to the C210K program?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I just run, but I also train systematically for whatever I'm working towards.

I just ran a half marathon on Saturday and I created my own training program. My husband works shift work and we have 5 kids, so I run when I can for however long I can fit in. I made it work.

Now that I've run that race I'm going to focus on shorter distances, sprinting, hills, speed work and lifting for my next goal - a Super Spartan and racing a 5k for a new PR.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Without couch to 5K, I wouldn't have been able to become a runner. Because of it, I met friends that helped me find the right shoes and learn proper running/breathing techniques....through the C25K group on here. BUT now, I am not training for anything. I just leave the house and run. I don't even plan out how far I go...I just keep going until I hit the point where I feel I should head back home. And if it is a good day, I hit that point and push myself just a little farther.

Eventually, I might "train" by working on distance and speed, but I'll be in Japan for 4 years so I won't have as many opportunities to sign up for races as I would here.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I go out and run, I do not use a program or anything, I use that time to clear my head and listen to music after sitting in an office all day.
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options
    I can't cause I fractured my ankle 10 years ago so when ever I run or jog on it... it swells and it sucks!!!! So I use my kinect to do my exercise! :D
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

Why does it need to be so scheduled, scientific and regimented?

Does anyone else just RUN?

I think I'd just run, if my knees would let me. My hubby, when he was younger would just throw open the door and run, no program.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K, then a 10k plan, and enjoyed those because I was very new to running. And a few months back, I started a half marathon plan, but found it simultaneously boring, restrictive and overwhelming. I want exercise to be fun, not feel like homework or a chore.

I aim for at least 3 miles every time I leave the house, but it isn't until I get moving that I really decide where to go or how long to keep going. Some days, I just do laps in the park by my house. Other days, I run very hilly trails. Once in a while, I get a big burst of energy and end up going 8-10 miles.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've never once done a "scheduled" run or a training program. I just run for as long as I feel like running.
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I did...just started running! Started by pushing myself to run one full mile (slow paced, of course), then gradually upped my distance. Once I could run 3 miles, worked on my time.
    Am currently running 5k but working towards a 10k. no programs!
  • evej1234
    Options
    I've run for 24 years now, and yes, I just run. I get out and do however many miles (3-8) I want, enjoy my music and I don't worry about pace. Sometimes I enter a 5k and a few months before the race I will train and time myself but for the most part I just enjoy the peace and go :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I am completely, positively, totally on board with the OP. I'm not a runner, but when I run, that's how I do it. Run till I can't, rest, run further, rinse, repeat. Works every time and uses the same principles as C25K, only its self directed. But I'm also someone that sets his own workout routine and enjoys a variety of challenges. I think the majority of people like to have a plan laid out for them to follow and it's less stressful for them that way.