How do you eat your protein powder?

Options
Koldnomore
Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
I just got some Whey isolate powder to help reach my protein goals but I just can't seem to choke it down. I have tried putting it in my oatmeal but the consistency/texture was vile. Also I tried to make one of the yummy shakes everyone talks about but it ended up a big gross crunchy clump :(

The flavor seems OK but I just can't get past the texture that I seem to have been able to accomplish. Is there any way to do it so it's nice and smooth without the curdled milk consistency?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Options
    no one?
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    You should research your protein powder as much as possible, the good ones also tend to taste good. I can do the research for you thought and tell you that Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey OR Casein are the best. I take mine one of two ways:

Morning shake with (all optional): Greek Yogurt, Blueberries, Strawberries, Bananas, Spinach, Rolled Oats, Chia Seeds.

Before/after workout with water in BlenderBottle.

(Casein) before bed with water in BlenderBottle.

I used to use almond milk instead of water for taste.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I personally just take 2 cups of Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla) mixed with 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate, throw it in my blender bottle and it comes out perfect.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I bought Sun Warrior Natural and put half a scoop in my oatmeal, it is tasteless.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of great things about protein pancakes! You incorporate the protein powder into the pancake mixture. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you could find a good one online!

Also, I have this protein smoothie every morning, and I love it! Cake batter:

1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    3/4 cup water
    1 packet artificial sweetener
    3 drops pure almond extract
    5-10 ice cubes (depending on how you like it, I prefer 5, some prefer more)
    1 tbsp. sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    Sprinkles on top

MAKE SURE you blend it long enough so there are no cottage cheese curds left visible. If it comes out too thick for you, you can try adding up to 1 cup of water. I hate the taste of protein powder, and this is the only smoothie that has worked for me so far. It's worth giving a try. However, it's quite sweet, and it tastes exactly like cake batter. So if that's not your thing, I'd go with the protein pancakes. haha
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Protein bars!

I use my whey to make convenient and portable protein bars which are made from oats, Optimal Nutrition whey, natural peanut butter, 70% dark chocolate, honey and almonds. Its a no-bake recipe and doesnt need refrigeration so they are very good for taking with you or packing in your lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I usually add a little greek yogurt and almond milk. Depending on flavor and for variety, blend with fruits of your choice. I've never tried this myself, but have read that you can add instant pudding powder in various flavors to change the flavor profile and make it thicker and richer. This makes it less healthy, but you can even put liquor in it (like chocolate and peppermint schnappes). Obviously, not something you want to have during the day.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    but it ended up a big gross crunchy clump :(

The flavor seems OK but I just can't get past the texture that I seem to have been able to accomplish. Is there any way to do it so it's nice and smooth without the curdled milk consistency?

Got get a little blender or a "bullet" type personal blender. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • twilightobession
    twilightobession Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get a blender. It has to be mix really really well.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I can't really afford it right now, but if I could I would get the vanilla flavored kind and, get some low fat vanilla ice cream, and make a protein milk shake. XD
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I personally just take 2 cups of Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla) mixed with 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate, throw it in my blender bottle and it comes out perfect.

This one :)

I get low carb powder when I do get some, like muscle milk.
  • KristenAFL
    Options
    I do 8oz of unsweetened almond milk, a splash of heavy whipping cream to make it more 'milkshake-y', 1 scoop of Jay Robb Vanilla Whey protein powder and shake in some S/F Jello in whatever flavor I want that day. YUMMY!!! Or you could use S/F pudding mix or crystal light....
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with protein powder, almonds milk, flax, spinach and raspberries. It's delicious.
  • NYGirl65
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here today, and I just saw your post. I use my protein powder to make a fruit smoothie using 1 scoop of protein powder (whatever brand you like), 1 orange, 1 small delicious apple, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup fat free milk and 1 cup of ice. I have a Vitamix, so mine come out really super smooth and if I want it more like a thick shake from the store, I just add more ice and it comes out almost like ice cream. This way I get my protein, my calcium and my servings of fruits/veggies (yes, you can do it with veggies too), and my fiber. I usually have it in the middle of the afternoon because it seems that's when I get "hungry" and this hold me off until dinner. I could never put the protein powder in oatmeal or anything else like that, but the smoothie thing works really well. Hope I helped. :flowerforyou:
  • Koldnomore
    Options
    I've heard a lot of great things about protein pancakes! You incorporate the protein powder into the pancake mixture. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you could find a good one online!

1 scoop protein powder
    3/4 cup water
    Sprinkles on top

MAKE SURE you blend it long enough so there are no cottage cheese curds left visible. If it comes out too thick for you, you can try adding up to 1 cup of water. I hate the taste of protein powder, and this is the only smoothie that has worked for me so far. It's worth giving a try. However, it's quite sweet, and it tastes exactly like cake batter. So if that's not your thing, I'd go with the protein pancakes. haha

I tried something like this in my brand new blender. My boyfriend actually informed me that if you put the powder in first it's a bad thing and I should throw it in last so it won't sink and glob at the bottom :) I think I will have an easier time next time but no more powder in my oatmeal! I managed to just throw a scoop in with half cup of milk in a mason jar and that worked fine.

Thanks everyone!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I like it raw
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I like it raw

Same here. I snort mine.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I like it raw

Same here. I snort mine.

I dont think I should be laughing. But I am.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I like it raw

Same here. I snort mine.
    Better than a suppository I suppose.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

1 scoop protein powder
    3/4 cup water
    Sprinkles on top

I 2nd this. it's DARN GOOD :)