Protein - Supplements Vs Food when losing weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Whey is for convenience, getting protein from food is superior to supplements.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Meat heads and bodybuilders have been using protein supplements for years and they seem to be doing alright.

What is the differentiation betweeen Meat heads and bodybuilders? LOL!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You can use both as long as you get adequate nutrition from varied sources. A shake for me in the morning starts my day. It always has whey protein in it and I am satisfied for hours on most days including right through my workouts. I've become much, much healthier then I previously was and that's because of diet.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements can be very bad for your body. They are very hard on your kidneys and liver. If you continue to use them you need to drink more then the standard 64 oz of water a day. Have you considered talking to a registered dietician?

Have YOU considered talking to a RD?
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I haven't really done my own research on supplements vs whole foods. I try to do a combination of both. Right now, I do a fair amount of meal replacements with my protein shakes. They are super convenient, which gets 5 stars for me, versatile and really help with my sugar cravings. I love them.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The title of “personal trainer” doesn’t give you the power know-all of information pertaining weight loss. Specifically so because everyone’s body is different. A baseline of information can be established, but that doesn’t mean everyone will net the same results. I’m say that to say drink your damn shakes :drinker:
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    I use hemp protein powder daily....hemp protein powder is 11g protein for 80 calories...

That's only half its calories from protein. There are many protein powders available that have 25 or so grams of protein for 110 or so calories. That's almost all protein in every scoop.

I would prefer to get all my protein from whole foods but I usually have a shake or two every day. I actually like them and it makes it a whole lot easier for me to reach my goal of 180 to 200g of protein a day.

200g - wow!!!!!
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    The title of “personal trainer” doesn’t give you the power know-all of information pertaining weight loss. Specifically so because everyone’s body is different. A baseline of information can be established, but that doesn’t mean everyone will net the same results. I’m say that to say drink your damn shakes :drinker:

LOL!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    200g - wow!!!!!

In the interest of full disclosure I'm 6'4" and a little over 200 pounds so it's not as much as it sounds.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    DP
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're burning 3-4000 calories per day and are worried about going over 1200? Am I the only one that thinks it's a touch rediculous?

Read the whole thing. She corrected to 300-400.

Who reads every post in a 4 page thread. Why not edit the initial post?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, my hemp protein powder, as I stated earlier is 11g for only 80 calories. By your theory, it ought to be 30 calories more for the powder and almost 80 calories less for the serving of turkey.

There goes your hard-and-fast rule all shot to hell.
    11 times 4 is 44. So your 80 calorie protein supplement has 44 calories from protein and 36 calories from other sources, carbs or fat. The turkey you listed has about 70 calories from fat as well. Protein is always 4 calories per gram, read the nutrition label on your protein powder.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. On 1200 per day there is no way I could reach my protein goal without shakes (I suppose I could hit the chicken more than usual but I almost cluck now as it is). I get low calorie/carb and high protein and they taste good and are filling.

If the trainer was a man he does not understand. They get more calories then women, especially short women.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    200g - wow!!!!!

In the interest of full disclosure I'm 6'4" and a little over 200 pounds so it's not as much as it sounds.

Speaking of protein.....I am 5'8" 212 with a little gut overhang. I am taking in about 150-200 g protein, ALL from white meat, beans, protein energy bars (when on a ride), oatmeal and dairy (eggs, yogurt and cheese). I dont use powders, or vitamins. my goal is to lose the fat, but consistently build muscle mass. Since you are a little bit less chubby than I, it IS okay for us to take that much protein and not damage any organs? I have heard too much protein and it is harmful to the body. But the scientific daily intake suggestion is about 45-55g for males. I eat twice that in my breakfasts.
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    Meat heads and bodybuilders have been using protein supplements for years and they seem to be doing alright.

What is the differentiation betweeen Meat heads and bodybuilders? LOL!

meat heads are just people who love working out and stuff, bodybuilders are people who compete in the sport of bodybuilding...
    a bodybuilder is a meat head, but a meat head is not necessarily a bodybuilder
  • IntenseRSX04
    Options
    and whey protein IS A FOOD, its a dairy protein. saying whey is a supplement and inferior to other sources is like saying milk and cheese are too, when in reality the only differences in any protein source are the calories, carbs, and fats contained with it and slight differences in amino acid profiles. so what matters is what you prefer, i like whey bc it's cheaper per serving and tastes better than other sources with many different flavor options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Agree with Matt Wild that you're cal intake is likely too low.

If you are a pescatarian then I think the simple answer is to eat fish for you're protein if you don't want to use whey. Having said that, there's no real reason not to. Except for that fish tastes better than shakes IMO.

BTW you can use you're powder for a whole heap more interesting stuff than shakes like pancakes, icecream etc. :smile:

And that hemp protein powder at 11g per 80cals is not a good choice IMO. Regular WPI is around 90% protein, WPC around 80% and casein around 85%. To put that in comparison, the kangaroo I eat is 80% protein and that is a very lean meat.