pepper spray

Options

Replies

• ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I had to carry, it would be a .357. I think OC a .357
    would keep the crazies away.

.357 beats the hell out of your hands (assuming you're using .357 magnum rounds and not .38 specials). Go with a .45ACP; lower velocity round, nice gentle recoil. :laugh:

The only draw to mine is the weight. Besides, it one of those
    things you hope you never need to use. :wink:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

While I agree, the pepper spray is a good non-lethal alternative that is lighter. Plus, if pepper spray discharges accidentally in your holster, you've ruined some clothes. If a .357 discharges, it could ruin your day.

Bonus: A case of mistaken intent (someone running in your general direction with no intent to harm you that you mistake as an assault) can become a simple case of assault and not manslaughter or murder.

It's also a lot harder to miss with a good can of pepper spray. And you don't need a concealed carry permit for it in most places.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom had to use it on a dog that busted out of it's front door and rushed her while she was walking through her neighborhood and it worked.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray with me usually only on evening runs. Around where I live in the city, There is a homeless shelter/Dorothy Day center so alot of Homeless people. I have never been bother by them or anyone before, but like most of you say, better safe than sorry.

I also work part time at a bar and come home between 3-4 AM on some weekend nights. With a few hundred in cash on me, and sometimes having to park a block or 2 away from my apartment, I like having my pepper spray :)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Use a gentle leader on her. We have a cane corso who was terrible on lead and I used a gentle leader on him and it worked wonderfully. If she pulls it will pull her head back around to you. As long as you stay on her and are consistent about her behavior she will get it. She may even get to the point where she doesn't care about other dogs because she is so tired.

P.S. pibbles are the best :)
  • lorissaf
    lorissaf Posts: 10
    Options
    I carry pepper spray because I run a track at evening and dusk time. Its not only good at keeping creeps away, but also any dangerous animals (bears mainly). Its not harmful to them, but it is a definite lifesaver at times.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I just started carrying pepper spray this summer since my neighborhood has taken a turn for the worse with every other house being forclosed on or rented out to some interesting characters. It makes me feel a little more comfortable. Thought about getting a dog but after weighing it out I figured I don't want the dog responsibilities (i.e. vet visits, training, picking up poop) but I would love the protection for my family.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I bike on local trails and just started carrying pepper spray. I had an "incident" with a dog, turned out ok but could have gone badly! I am prepared now!
  • ki4yxo
    Options

While I agree, the pepper spray is a good non-lethal alternative that is lighter. Plus, if pepper spray discharges accidentally in your holster, you've ruined some clothes. If a .357 discharges, it could ruin your day.

Bonus: A case of mistaken intent (someone running in your general direction with no intent to harm you that you mistake as an assault) can become a simple case of assault and not manslaughter or murder.

It's also a lot harder to miss with a good can of pepper spray. And you don't need a concealed carry permit for it in most places.

That's why I was talking about open carry.
    (Legal here in NC) The odds of someone
    stalking you would sharply decline. The
    creeps out there prey on the defensless,
    easy targets. Basically cowards.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

.357 beats the hell out of your hands (assuming you're using .357 magnum rounds and not .38 specials). Go with a .45ACP; lower velocity round, nice gentle recoil. :laugh:

Agreed on the kick of a .357. Tough to bring it back down quick enough to get off another round accurately if you need to (for us ladies, that is).

That said, I prefer the simplicity of a revolver for self-defense. Less to malfunction in the heat of the moment.

No, I don't carry pepper-spray. But I always recommend that you carry SOMETHING. Better safe than sorry is my thinking...
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Use a gentle leader on her. We have a cane corso who was terrible on lead and I used a gentle leader on him and it worked wonderfully. If she pulls it will pull her head back around to you. As long as you stay on her and are consistent about her behavior she will get it. She may even get to the point where she doesn't care about other dogs because she is so tired.

P.S. pibbles are the best :)

Gentle leaders are very helpful. I use one for my dog as well. Sometimes they don't work well for dogs with a shorter muzzle.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think you are better off being aware of your surroundings and avoiding the situation altogether. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Besides weapons have a way of being turned on their owners.

A couple of tips which we offer in our Running Clinics

1. People will basically attack you for three reasons...Most assailants are after money. Carry what is called throw away money. A handful of cash you can fling in your assailants face which will dissorient and allow you to create distance. If they are after money... they'll go for the cash. Beyond money, the assailand is either trying to hurt or rape you.

2. Be aware of your environment and let others know where you are going and when you will be back. Avoid dangerous situations (i.e. don't run in alleyways at night) and allow your natural senses to work (can you see/hear people around you?)

3. Instinct is the most important tool we have to keep safe. If something doesn't feel right, chances are it isn't. Listen to your instincts.

4. Eye contact. You can often determine an individuals intentions via eye contact. It is also a deterrent as it shows confidence and reduces the element of surprise.

5. Use the buddy system. If someone is looking for trouble, they usually will pick on individuals rather than pairs. Especially if your buddy is Chuck Norris.

6. Avoid carrying items that may make you a target. (i.e. that new IPhone that you are so intently listening too... Thieves like those too (especially when your attention is on it and not your environment.)

7. If you are attacked... You have a right to defend yourself. Yell "No" loudly and continue to yell. Make as much noise as possible. Create an exit for yourself by attacking pressure points (knees, groin, armpits, throat, eyes, ears). Don't make it easy.

8. If you still cannot escape, make as much noise as possible and create as undesirable a situation for your assailant. Not my idea, but one of my students suggested that soiling yourself would derail a rapist quickly.

Its the middle of the afternoon... I could likely post more, but would still caution against carrying a weapon. Yes, its easy on paper to say how we'd blow someone apart with a 357 or beat them with a baton... the truth is that more people are harmed by their own weapons than those belonging to a criminal.
  • ki4yxo
    Options

Agreed on the kick of a .357. Tough to bring it back down quick enough to get off another round accurately if you need to (for us ladies, that is).

That said, I prefer the simplicity of a revolver for self-defense. Less to malfunction in the heat of the moment.

No, I don't carry pepper-spray. But I always recommend that you carry SOMETHING. Better safe than sorry is my thinking...

The .357 is a revolver, but is heavy as hell. Not
    too bad of a kick because of the weight. Also not
    ideal to go running with, unless you strap a brick
    to the left hand side of your waist to even out the
    weight. Ok, maybe 2 bricks. LOL
    I use the local gym, so I'm not too worried about it.

howfair.jpg
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

The .357 is a revolver, but is heavy as hell. Not
    too bad of a kick because of the weight. Also not
    ideal to go running with, unless you strap a brick
    to the left hand side of your waist to even out the
    weight. Ok, maybe 2 bricks. LOL
    I use the local gym, so I'm not too worried about it.

Yes, I'm aware that a .357 is a revolver... Thus my clarification that even though it kicks I'd still rather carry it (a revolver) than a .45 ACP.

My .357 of choice is a Ruger 4" barrel. Not as heavy as the 6" (which still kicks like a mother, in my opinion) and fits in more places, but has even more of a kick. Just my 2 cents.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Its the middle of the afternoon... I could likely post more, but would still caution against carrying a weapon. Yes, its easy on paper to say how we'd blow someone apart with a 357 or beat them with a baton... the truth is that more people are harmed by their own weapons than those belonging to a criminal.

You'd rather rely on crapping your pants than on being armed and prepared for the attack? It's not as simple as just getting a gun and throwing it in a purse... there is a lot of physical and mental training that goes into being ready to defend yourself (and much of it is spent conditioning yourself to know when NOT to go for the weapon). Done properly, it's much like training in a martial art, except you eliminate the disparity of force entirely. A 90-pound, 5' woman is fully able to fend off someone of my size and weight (or greater), and that is a valuable thing.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I carry dog mace. I wish a mother f*cker would.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i do. you can't be too careful.
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    the mace works...I was sprayed by a drunk mailman...it was brutal..that's all you will need....
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I carry dog mace on my runs. This is after being bitten by one dog when running before. I have recently had to use the dog spray on a dog that was charging me.... and I have never been more thankful to have it.
  • LovelyLathrop
    Options
    I always have it on me and unfortunately have had to use it multiple time. Trust me, it's better to be safe than sorry! All the times I used it the attackers had no intentions of 'bringing me back safely'..... So I make an effort of having it with me at all times.