Running...help or hinder weight loss??

Options
Hi,

I am still fairly new to running. I usually run/walk 4-5 times a week for about 2.5 miles. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks or so. I am not really seeing any weight loss. Just wondering if you think it helps or hinders you?? I know that I am building muscle, just wondering when I will be able to lose at least another 10 pounds to be in my healthy bmi. Sometimes when I am unusally stressed (like yesterday) I will do a couple of runs. Maybe I am overtraining??? What are the signs of that?? I have my calories set at 1700 but almost never eat over 1400. Just have such a curbed appetite since I started running... Thank you so much!!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It has certainly helped me. I do think your rest days are important. Do you do other exercises on days you're not running, or do you actually rest? I've found that I have my biggest losses if I take 2 days in a row off. Healing muscles retain water that masks weight loss.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No, actually I don't rest. I will often do something like Jillian Michaels 30DS dvd... maybe I will try a 2 day rest this week. Thanks alot:)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    First off.. You are not gaining muscle.. not even a teeny tiny bit. Unless you doing heavy strength training, eating in a calorie surplus and taking steroids, there is no way muscle is being gained.

Second, what you are prob. seeing is water retention from the muscles healing... which means you are going to see the scale go up temporarily, but it won't last long.

Third, how are you measuring calorie burns from the runs? It could be possible that you are overestimating calories burned and eating too much.. and that will also hinder weight loss.

Fourth, please start strength training.. running is great and all, but strength training will help you preserve muscle and lose mainly fat instead of fat and muscle.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    First off.. You are not gaining muscle.. not even a teeny tiny bit. Unless you doing heavy strength training, eating in a calorie surplus and taking steroids, there is no way muscle is being gained.

Second, what you are prob. seeing is water retention from the muscles healing... which means you are going to see the scale go up temporarily, but it won't last long.

Third, how are you measuring calorie burns from the runs? It could be possible that you are overestimating calories burned and eating too much.. and that will also hinder weight loss.

Fourth, please start strength training.. running is great and all, but strength training will help you preserve muscle and lose mainly fat instead of fat and muscle.

^^^this^^^
    I run but I also strength train 3 times a week..and not those barbie weights..but full on weights...
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Wow, there's some BS. Steroids??? You can't gain muscle without steroids? Runners DO get muscle gain in their legs (though not likely with a calorie deficit). They don't need steroids to do it. I'm not even convinced you can't gain a little muscle WITH a calorie deficit because my thigh muscles have certainly seemed to get larger. But the steroids comment is just ridiculous.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My main excersise is running and Ive lost 80lbs by doing that I am starting to do some bodyweight excercises and I have some decent dumbells im using on and off. Also you said you run/walk 2.5 miles a few times a week I would guess that is probably burning maybe 300 calories. Maybe try increasing your distance over time that is when you will see the increase or hit some hills and increase distance. I am not a expert but im guessing it is not overtraining not at this stage.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Wrong, I notice the best leanest muscles in my calves from running and my butt muscles is really developing!
  • ShaunnaM
    ShaunnaM Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Activity in general can cause muscle gain if your body needs it to keep doing the activity, my Dr ( several actually) told me this don't believe everything you see on here some people are just negative and fake no it alls lol
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Wow, there's some BS. Steroids??? You can't gain muscle without steroids? Runners DO get muscle gain in their legs (though not likely with a calorie deficit). They don't need steroids to do it. I'm not even convinced you can't gain a little muscle WITH a calorie deficit because my thigh muscles have certainly seemed to get larger. But the steroids comment is just ridiculous.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that had difficulty with this post.
  • dad106
    Options

Glad to see that you two are clearly special snowflakes.

Women have a hard time gaining muscle anyway due to lack of testoerone.. hence where the steroid comment comes into play.

I run for about 2.5 miles, 2 to 3 times a week plus I lift and I am not gaining muscle.. and I highly doubt OP is either.

What you two are most likely seeing is the muscle becoming more pronounced due to fat loss.. but it is highly unlikely that you are building muscle doing long distance running.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Let's throw out the controversial whether you can build muscle in a calorie deficit or not for a minute. I don't know the answer to that either way.

Let's talk about muscle building from running while in maintenance mode, or a calorie surplus. You seriously think running doesn't build muscle? You seriously think that propelling my weight off the ground isn't a strength exercise? Really? So I guess pushups aren't a strength building exercise either. Good to know. I'll stop doing those since they're pointless.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I've been running distance for over 15 years, competitively. If you are running distance you are not going to "gain" muscle to the point that you notice. You will gain some, but mostly you will define and tone the muscle you already have.

If you're "gaining muscle" to the point you can notice it, from running, only 2.5 miles, it's not muscle gain.

***Edit*** 12 miles per week for 6 weeks, for sure will not be "muscle gain". I don't know the full story here, but a person upping their cardiovascular exercise should be losing weight. Running will burn fat, and actually, when pushed hard enough....it will burn muscle.
  • dad106
    Options
    Let's throw out the controversial whether you can build muscle in a calorie deficit or not for a minute. I don't know the answer to that either way.

Let's talk about muscle building from running while in maintenance mode, or a calorie surplus. You seriously think running doesn't build muscle? You seriously think that propelling my weight off the ground isn't a strength exercise? Really? So I guess pushups aren't a strength building exercise either. Good to know. I'll stop doing those since they're pointless.

Building strength and building muscle are two separate things honey.

You can gain strength without getting bigger muscles.. a lot of people on this site are proof of that.

I lift weights and I run.. I'm getting stronger all the time, but my muscles aren't getting bigger.. why? Because I'm not eating enough calories to support that.. nor do I have the hormones to support muscle building.

Like I stated earlier, you are either seeing swelling from the muscles repairing themselves or the fat is being lost, thus showing what muscle you have.
  • dad106
    Options
    I've been running distance for over 15 years, competitively. If you are running distance you are not going to "gain" muscle to the point that you notice. You will gain some, but mostly you will define and tone the muscle you already have.

If you're "gaining muscle" to the point you can notice it, from running, only 2.5 miles, it's not muscle gain.

***Edit*** 12 miles per week for 6 weeks, for sure will not be "muscle gain". A person should be losing weight.

Thank you.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Glad to see that you two are clearly special snowflakes.

Women have a hard time gaining muscle anyway due to lack of testoerone.. hence where the steroid comment comes into play.

I run for about 2.5 miles, 2 to 3 times a week plus I lift and I am not gaining muscle.. and I highly doubt OP is either.

What you two are most likely seeing is the muscle becoming more pronounced due to fat loss.. but it is highly unlikely that you are building muscle doing long distance running.

Since I started running my hamstrings are bigger and well defined, as are my quads and calf muscles. I haven't lost much weight, but I know for sure those muscles were not noticeable before. I never had calf muscles before, I had stick legs. There is definitely muscle there where there wasn't before.

And I don't life heavy weights at the gym but I do body weight exercises like pushups, lunges and squats without weights, and I have clearly defined arm muscles and glutes. So I think what you are referring to is body-building type muscle - large muscle growth, not ANY muscle growth.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Running is my main activity. I can tell you that when I'm really dedicated to running weight loss is hindered unless I'm meticulous with it and don't try to set up too big a caloric deficit. 3-400 cal/day max deficit to lose while training in my opinion.

And the lift weights or you'll lose muscle mass is BS. Absolutely not a universal truth. I have the same 120 lbs fat-free mass as I did 10 years ago. I run; I do body-weight exercises; I've done martial arts (about 7 of the last 10 years) and I've done yoga. That's about it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, not a strength exercise. I can do 100 pushups easily, but that's about 1/50th of the strides taken in a run. That's endurance, not strength. Are we really debating if people get big and strong enough to gain weight by normal running?

To the OP, running burns calories, so I can only aid in your weight loss. If you aren't losing, it's most likely you aren't in a calorie deficit. You may be eating back too many of your exercise calories.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

Building strength and building muscle are two separate things honey.

Wow, condescending much "honey". SMH and done with this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Running is my main activity. I can tell you that when I'm really dedicated to running weight loss is hindered unless I'm meticulous with it and don't try to set up too big a caloric deficit. 3-400 cal/day max deficit to lose while training in my opinion.

And the lift weights or you'll lose muscle mass is BS. Absolutely not a universal truth. I have the same 120 lbs fat-free mass as I did 10 years ago. I run; I do body-weight exercises; I've done martial arts (about 7 of the last 10 years) and I've done yoga. That's about it.

Actually, it's a 100% truth. If you're not eating enough and you start a high intensity cardiovascular program, muscle mass will be lost. Running is a cardiovascualr aerobic exercise. You body will push to a point where it will eat muscle instead of fat for energy because it's easier for your body to do so. You most likey have found your happy medium. Kudos.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Running helps me. When I add running to my workouts I lean out more.