Those who lost 20-30lbs... how long did it take you?

Options

Replies

• Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Took me a LOT longer than most. I lost my first 10lbs in a year, but that wasn't with tracking my food and diet. I just simply started to exercise more and eat a bit healthier. I really started watching what I ate by the first of this year. I lost about 15lbs in 4 months. I've been stuck at that weight (with a little up and down) since April. I still have another 10lbs to go. So overall 25lbs in 16 months!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28 lbs so far, and it's been 3 1/2 months. Every time I plateau, I up my calories, I started at 1200 and now I'm at 1400. I also started running 3x a week and strength training. I eat much healthier now, I rarely have fast food, and eat mainly lean meats. I cut out most processed carbs (with the exception of the occasional whole grain breads and bagels) and rice.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    The first 20 came off in 3 weeks. but I had 100 to lose, and went on a serious calorie restriction and exercise regime.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month/ month and a half. Just portion control, and daily exercise. I run around with my kids and puppy outside. But I try doing step ups at least 4 times a week.
    Also I have problems with my thyroid and insulin levels, so regular doctor visits to get those tested.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I lost 46 pounds in about 5 months, I work out 5 times a week and have a 1200 calorie diet or at least try to!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I started in mid-January, and have slowly been melting away. Up to 28 pounds now.

I was sick of Yo-Yo'ing with my weight, so this time, it has been a lifestyle change. I try to eat around 1800 calories a day, and am still losing weight. I want it to be slow, so I can sustain it over time. I used to think I *had* to eat no more than 1200 to lose weight. I'm so glad I did some homework and changed my game plan. Sure, I'm not posting double digit declines, but this is not a temporary change!

For working out - I started just doing moderate cardio (interval runs, etc.), then added in strength training. I eat as healthy as I can, but do allow for splurges within my calories/macro goals.

I ran a half marathon, and am training for another one. And, I started P90x, for more weight training.
  • flowerpower263
    flowerpower263 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 70lbs in about 9 months. i lost on an average of 2 lbs a week. All i did was stick to my colories go to the gym 2 times a week and swim. I will be 69 in september and feel like 40!!
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Took me about 90 days to lose 30lbs.

Doing P90X Classic and it has worked wonder for my overall conditioning. I went from couch potato with bad knees and bad back to jumping 4 ft in the air doing Plyometrics without any pain anywhere.
  • ecoleman56
    ecoleman56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost about 100 pounds in 6 months. All through cutting carbs and cals. I did a little walking everyday as well. Unfortunately I have picked about 10 or so back up. I am going all out strict again. I want to drop 30 to be my military weight again and then just start maintaining.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19 in 2 1/2 months. I lost a lot when I started running, but now I'm losing more inches than pounds. Doesn't help that I've been sick and now injured for the last week so not eating as well or exercising as much.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    it took 7 months for me to lose 43 pounds. i joined a gym and cut-out unhealthy foods, cut calories down to around 1100-1400/day. i work-out 5/6 days per week. :smile:
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Same question: How long and how did you all lose 20 pounds.

I am 5' 4". I looked at my weight that I write down (started 10/11) and I have been the same weight-155 to 159 lbs for 10 months.... that 10 months included so much mental thought, you'd think I would be telling you all how I lost 20 pounds. Nope. Same old, same old. I had gained from 130 to 155 through plain old enjoying life.

I am usually a tight size 10 pants and hate how I look. More weight in the legs/behind that I kind of scare myself when I walk by a mirror. (I was a skinny runt of a kid with giraffe legs, but marriage and 3 kids with 21 years of good times gave me plenty of junk in the trunk)

I started this week with water, exercise, logging my calories and vitamins. The 1500 calories seems hard right now. I noticed some of you are at 1200 and some at 1800. I will play around with this.

You all have such great accomplishments and great stories. I hope soon, that I, too, will be giving advise. For now, I can't imagine losing weight. It has been the same forever and it annoys me.

I am going to keep this thread as reminder that people do this! : )
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It took me like 2 months to lose 15 hen it took me 4 to lose another 15 So 6 months. The first 15 came off quick because I went from eating 1800 calories and a day of pure crap to eating 1200 and running/weight lifting where as before I didn't work out at all. Eventually I hit a plateau and had to increase both my calories and exercise to start losing again. It took longer but it has stayed off
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've been here for 7 months and lost 25. You can see my before/after pics in my profile. I lost the 25 in about 5 months, and then I've just been bouncing a few pounds back and forth since then. I'm focused more on body recomposition right now, so I'm expecting the last pounds to come off very slowly. I've lost mine with a combo of heavy lifting, cardio, and healthy(er) eating. :flowerforyou:
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Took me 6months to lose 24lbs. I have another 10-15lbs to go.

Im 5'5 and started at 180lbs. Eating better at 1600cals per day +sporadic periods of exercise and work.
  • kooldog1968
    Options
    :drinker: 24lbs in 6 weeks
  • Suddz62
    Suddz62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs in about 2-1/2 months - totally changed my food intake to 1,000 cals/per day, walked on treadmill 5 times a week for apprx 30 mins, got rid of alot of carbs, & totally cut out alcohol (Capt'n / Coke) which I'm sure helped the most. Also tried not to eat after 7 - 7:30 pm.
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I lost 29 lbs on 4mths.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Logged consistently for 113 days, 35 lbs lost so far from when I started. I do a mixture of calisthenics, yoga, walking, and rope skipping.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't show it on here because I came to MFP when my wife started her diet but it took me about 2 months to lose 20 lbs. What did I do? I cut out ALL products containing gluten (wheat, rye, barley), I cut out all sources of caffeine, I cut out all sweeteners&sugars, and I decreased my protein portions (but increased my fruit and veggie carb portions). At this point, at 5'8", I've effectively lost 60 lbs from 219 to 159. I am on a 1200 calorie diet, but I frequently eat under that; not that I'm starving myself, but instead I am eating low calorie (but high nutritional value) foods when I feel hunger pains. As far as exercise, other than moderate cleaning and the occasional high impact dog walking, I don't do much. As I approach the 140's (in the winter) I plan on increasing my carbs & protein to reach 1600 calories then shredding to tone my body.