Does anyone just run anymore?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I far prefer to "just run". I have followed (or made my own) training plans for my marathons, but otherwise I just run. I run mostly for fun, and following a program too often, takes out the fun for me.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I pretty much make up my own plan and then leave it open for some modification day to day depending on how I feel.

If you have any kind of goal and don't want to follow somebody else's plan you should read a few good training books so that your plan is moving you in the right direction in the most effective way.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I do! :) I set goals for myself, but nothing too "scientific". I started using C25K to build my endurance, but once I finished, I was off!

Now, I focus on time and speed. I get comfortable running as fast as I can for 20 mins one month. The next I up it to 25 mins. The next I go to 30mins, etc. I end up increasing speed and distance each month :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Of course it's nice to run without thinking of times, distance, speed, HR etc

That's all fine and dandy if you just want to run, but it won't help you to maximise your performance for a specific event.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome to get out there and run just to run, but it's also important to keep yourself safe and uninjured, which is exactly what training plans do. They also help you get the most out of your workouts, and help you improve, in ways that you probably wouldn't have even known about if you just tried to run however you wanted to.

The C25k program is awesome because it slooooowly builds up your endurance and doesn't just have you jumping in to running hard and fast. You might be able to if you're already an athlete, but if you're just starting, it's not recommended that you try to run as fast as you can all the time.

The training programs will teach you about proper pacing, when to schedule your workouts so you get the maximum amount of recovery and prep for the next level, they teach you the difference and importance between workouts (a slow long run, speed work, easy days, etc.)

When I started running C25k and other programs weren't around or easily accessible, so I just ran however I wanted to. I never thought or knew I could improve until I sought more information and learned about proper training. When I got injured and finally decided I wanted to get serious and run properly and improve, I started reading a lot more about training right. Since then, I've seen great changes, have improved and become so much faster than I thought I ever could be, and I've managed to stay healthy and injury free (knock on wood).

It's great if you just want to lose weight and keep in shape, but if you want to improve, whether you're training for an event or not, following a structured program is ideal. Once you start running a lot more you'll know how you can tailor training programs to fit your needs.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I used to jog off and on without any regimented program or goals for about 14 years. Because I like running outside, though, I don't run any longer. There's no place around here I'd feel comfortable running. There's a treadmill here but it's borrriiing to run on a treadmill. Now I just do workout videos.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I did last summer. Started from scratch then worked my way up to several miles not following a specific plan. I've run two 5Ks since. But that's it. Running isn't really my thing so I don't do it on a regular basis.
  • essjay76
    Options
    Beginners going out and "just running" without any source of structure is a recipe to get hurt.

I know, because I did it.

^^This.

Think of the time in Karate Kid when Daniel just "wanted to do karate". Mr. Miyagi didn't just "teach" him, he built it up with strengthening exercises, things that built up his endurance, strength, etc. Finally, in the end, Daniel son took all that Mr. Miyagi taught him and was able to whip out the moves... "Show me 'sand the floor'!"

I have a lot of runner friends, here on MFP and in real life, who have just started running and they go out bolting every single day, trying to get faster or go longer every time they run. Then what do you know? They tell me they're injured, and aren't able to run for a few days or even weeks.

I absolutely love to run, it's one of my greatest passions, but for anyone starting out, it's definitely wise to not "just run".. You'll end up hating it when you get injured for doing too much too soon.
  • essjay76
    Options
    Of course it's nice to run without thinking of times, distance, speed, HR etc

That's all fine and dandy if you just want to run, but it won't help you to maximise your performance for a specific event.

Agree with this too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always have another race planned so I run specific distances in a self-made "plan" to make sure I'm ready and to keep myself injury free. It's been 18 months since I started running and I haven't had a single running-related injury to date (if you discount a couple of blackened toenails at the beginning because my shoes were too small!) My only "training plan" involves how far I'm going to run that day and which days I'm planning to run. I don't do speed work or hills, I just run/walk intervals. Knowing how many miles I'm planning to run that day gives me an idea of how much time I'll need to carve out of my busy day and between my family, work and school, I'm busy!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Wow, didn't expect all these responses!

To those that asked why it bothers me so much. Uh... it doesn't. LOL. It doesn't bother me how other people run. I just notice on the forums that the majority of runners are always using or recommending a training program and I just wondered if anyone else just did their own thing. That's all. There was no hidden agenda here intending to bash the Couch to 5K program.

Have a great night!

:tongue:
  • vesta82
    vesta82 Posts: 13
    Options
    I run and I enjoy every burning moment!!! I do run for a purpose, the best one of all.....ME! :happy: I think some folks do training for motivation but my motivation is my mirror!