American Tourist Scared of Canadians Wants Gun

Options
grassette
grassette Posts: 976 Member
This letter was published in the Calgary Herald. It was written by an American cop who freaked out when 2 Calgarians wanted to offer him passes to the Calgary Stampede on Nose Hill, a public park on a big hill in Calgary. This is his letter:
+++
"I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: “Been to the Stampede yet?”

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: “Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, “Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye.” They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know – it’s because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.
+++++

My sister and my nieces and nephews walk on that hill all the time. It's a neighborhood park where everybody is friendly. I am SO glad that this feral man didn't have his gun on him.

My question is, do you think that he was behaving normally? Do Americans carry firearms with them when they go hiking in public parks in case they encounter strangers who might talk to them?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/09/walt-wawra/

Replies

• lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Lol, no we don't. I am from Michigan. Most of us here are not paranoid.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    This letter was published in the Calgary Herald. It was written by an American cop who freaked out when 2 Calgarians wanted to offer him passes to the Calgary Stampede on Nose Hill, a public park on a big hill in Calgary. This is his letter:
    +++
    "I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: “Been to the Stampede yet?”

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: “Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, “Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye.” They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know – it’s because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

+++++

My sister and my nieces and nephews walk on that hill all the time. It's a neighborhood park where everybody is friendly. I am SO glad that this feral man didn't have his gun on him.

My question is, do you think that he was behaving normally? Do Americans carry firearms with them when they go hiking in public parks in case they encounter strangers who might talk to them?

I laughed my self silly when I read about that. We certainly don't need any more guns. Crazy people with guns are what cause the mass shootings, so it makes perfect sense to throw some more guns in to the mix. :noway:
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    +++

+++++

/

Oops he was from Kalamazoo? I went through there once.... it was a scary city maybe that is why he is like he is!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing we will kill you with is kindness. :heart:
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Omg. Does this guy not realize that it's really hard to get a concealed carry permit in Canada? Really really hard. ATT's (authorization to transport) is hard enough to get. You have to be going to your gun club, or moving or have a GOOD reason. I hardly ever hear of anyone anywhere in Canada except Toronto pulling a hand gun and shooting people. Very very few people unless they are really hardened criminals would even have a gun out in public in this country.

We bring our 22 rifle, which looks like a M16 on some of our hikes. Just in case....Bears, coyote, wolves, ect. We ran into some boys that were up from city, somewhere USA. They took one look at us and nearly *kitten* themselves. Funniest thing ever. They asked us what we were hunting. We said skunk. I wanted to say hikers....but my husband stopped me.

Americans amaze me every time. I'm a crack shot. With a rifle. I'm a great shot with the hand gun. And I'm an okay shot with the revolver. Even if I had all three, I don't think I could have stopped that crazy in the movie theater with one shot. And taking someone out with one shot is the only safe way in that situation. It's not like in the movies. Not at all.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That is funny! I live near Calgary and I would have gladly taken the tickets they were offering. Did this guy not know that us Canadians are polite to a fault? Maybe these two 'thugs' were a bit too aggressive in wanting to make conversation, but geez, give me a break!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The thing I wonder is when you live in a big city, like New York City, you don't make eye contact, you don't talk to people you don't know. I never had that feeling in Chicago, though I know that if you go into certain inner-city neighborhoods with gangs that anything can happen, especially if you live in one gang's territory and need to cross over into another's. I wonder if this is the kind of environment this police officer would know. So when these two guys did their Alberta thing, he freaked out.

But what I wonder, is when we visit the USA and take a walking trail someplace, and some guys come up to us, should be think they might have guns? Like, how common is this kind of thing?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    reading that i could have sworn it must be an Onion article.

that guys gives Americans a bad name.
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    Actually I am one of meanest Canadians around LOL!!! I will help out a fellow Canadian here if they are in need of help not sure if I would do it in the states especially NY.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas. I'm likely the only person here that doesn't carry a gun.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If we take a hike/walk, we are armed. We have bears and coyotes. And criminals. We carry always.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Oh my that is WAY too funny....I live just below Nose Hill...just a second while I laugh again...HAHAHAHAHA

there is NO NEED for a gun in this neighborhood...

ahhaha "been to stampede?" that is like asking "have you been to a good party lately?"
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It was in the news here in Quebec. The news presenters had a good laugh!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he should have stayed at home in the US where it's nice and safe and everyone carries guns but no one gets shot.
    Oh, that's right - they do get shot.

He should still have stayed home.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Note to self, never ask a random person if he has been to the stampede, he may bear arms against your as*. Though I agree sane people should always carry a gun, that guy isn't one of them.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Texas. Some people carry guns everywhere!
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    Us Canadians wouldn't know what to do with a gun! Where do you pour the maple syrup?!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I dont see what the big deal is. You use the gun if you need to, you dont if you don't need to. Really a win-win situation. I plan on getting my concealed carry license when I move back to the states.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    On a serious note, I don't think the area matters, we recently had a woman raped and murdered while jogging in one of the richest neighborhoods around. You can be attacked anywhere. At least in Florida.
    Any sane person should be carrying if they want to be safe. Or the government should just break off the whole state and let it sink into the ocean, whichever is easier.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am in Colorado and we carry open and concealed. It is SO nice to know you are protected.