Bit of an odd question for the ladies...

Options

Replies

• tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It depends on how wide your hips are. It has nothing to do with how fit you are. I do not have this gap, although I am on the smaller side. Sure if I stand kind of awkwardly I have one, but I do not naturally have one. It's not something to be concerned about. :smile:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My thighs do get friendly, although less than they used to. I will never have a thigh gap. Partially because my hips turn in just a few degrees more than they should (same reason I walk and run pigeon toed), but it's okidoke with me.
    If the "chub rub" gets to ya, bring along a travel size baby powder in your purse when wearing skirts and dresses. I've heard Body Glide is fabulous, but have yet to pick some up.
  • cindygeskin
    cindygeskin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I use a product called Body Glide on my thighs and can run 13 miles and more without chafing - even at my chubby weight. You could use it when you wear your skirts to prevent the sores.I've also used it to prevent rubbing from shoes in the summer. Great product and unlike vaseline it will not transfer onto your clothes.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't have a gap, the rubbing and chafing should get better with weight loss/toning up those muscles. My thighs touch (like a LOT)--but they don't chafe or rub when I walk or run. I know that is really uncomfortable. :grumble: Try the body glide until you slim down the thighs a bit. I'm betting it won't bother you much at all then. :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much. That's just what I needed to hear. I apologise if I sounded like I wanted a gap because of the appearance. I think having a gap actually looks a bit odd, but I would rather have a gap than have awful chafing. I'll take your advice and use body glide and work on toning up my thighs. I will have to get googling for some appropriate exercises!

Also, seconded this. Really doesn't bother me much these days, it doesn't get painful or sore when I'm walking in skirts anymore, that happened about 185 pounds for me. Hurray!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I'm a runner and I use a product called Body Glide on my thighs and can run 13 miles and more without chafing - even at my chubby weight. You could use it when you wear your skirts to prevent the sores.I've also used it to prevent rubbing from shoes in the summer. Great product and unlike vaseline it will not transfer onto your clothes.

Where can you find body glide...at any local drugstore? I tried the where to buy link on their website but it returned an error :/
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I have super wide hips. I can actually feel the bones through my tummy fat even when I'm standing up without pressing. My Dr said I'm the perfect candidate for a surrogate as the babies would grow healthy and large and not get stuck :laugh:
    When I dropped to about 75kg/165 pounds I had a thigh gap. My thighs where still christmas hams but they just were apart.
    I've always had excelent muscle tone (underneath it all lol) because of genetics in my family that we all have super large leg muscles, I can't wear gumboots even.
    I'm not sure if I got to that weight which is 20kg/44 pounds away if that would still be the case though. My thigh muscles are so large now they have the same shape as a cyclists :drinker: including the bulge over the knee cap. My calves have no fat at all.
    Even though my legs are very big I don't get painful rubbing in summer in skirts/dresses. So I'd think it has alot to do with the way your are built.

I use baby powder called curash in summer anyways. So maybe that's why I don't have problems. Always have done and always will.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've heard it has to do with how you're built, like wider set hips would have more of a gap, narrower hips would be less likely to have one! Obviously weight plays a role too though :)

^^^^ Wider hips play a big role, it's not just the size of the legs or your weight. It's genetics.

What is considered wide hips?
    Mine are 35' and i have a thigh gap, never knew that was considered wide. Wow you all must have tiny little hips.
  • cindybindyboo
    Options
    the box gap... you need wide hips.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with your body shape. You can still be plenty sexy without the infamous 'thigh gap" so don't lose sleep over it!

Edit to say I just read more of this forum and realize it is more about chafing vs. looks. Sadly, it may never go away. Even at my lowest weight and 19% bf I still had this problem when I wore a dress and walked a lot. I just carry more meat on my inner thighs! A different type of underwear certainly helps! I also just don't wear dresses when I know I will be walking a lot.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    has more to do with your hip size than weight
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My thighs have always touched even when I was smaller, but I have a lot of fat in my thighs and butt and not so much in my top(until recently) and I have wider set hips so I'm not really sure. I'd assume it has a lot to do with genetics too.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Smh.

My husband likes the gap between my legs when I have my feet apart.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think it's more body type than weight that plays a role in thighs! Even at my thinnest ever my thighs have always been friends :) LOL
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you are a healthy weight, when you stand with your legs together, are you supposed to have a gap in between your thighs?

I ask because I've heard so many people talk about "chub rub" which happens when you are overweight and you wear a skirt or dress and your thighs rub together as you walk causing painful sores. I've had this happen to me before when I was overweight.

I'm a healthy weight now, but I noticed that I still don't have a gap in between my thighs when I stand up straight with my legs together. Am I supposed to get this gap eventually or is it only something underweight people should get?
    Im a healthy weight now and yes there is a thigh gap...it was also there 30 lbs ago. My thighs never rubbed...I get bruses on my knees from knocking my knees together instead haha
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When I was 30% body fat, thigh gap was there. Now at 19%...still there. Who cares as long as you're healthy and happy? lol.
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My thighs have always touched, even when I was pretty small in high school. Then again I have pretty muscular thighs so that doesn't help. I never had problems though until I went on a long walk one day in shorts and OUCH. I've never had chafing before and now I know how much it sucks. Not sure why the difference in weight made a difference when my thighs have always touched.. *shrug*
  • Belindacandoit
    Options
    Ive never had a gap and i was really slim all of my life...well, until now!
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Im a healthy weight now and yes there is a thigh gap...it was also there 30 lbs ago. My thighs never rubbed...I get bruses on my knees from knocking my knees together instead haha

A plus-side for those of us with wide hips!
  • gemcopp
    gemcopp Posts: 4
    Options
    A girl at uni said about this. She said only fit girls will have the gap. But she is fit herself and does regular exercise and is very skinny. She eats no carbs. Infact most of the girls on my course go to the gym and only one girl had the gap. So it must be done to your built. Yes we did compare our tighs lol x
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow as a man I find this thread fascinating... women should not reveal their thigh gap concerns to me, because then they will start caring!

Right now I have never, never, never heard of any guy EVER talk about a woman's thigh gap. Tens of thousands of hours of guy talk in my 32 years on this planet and NOT ONCE has the thigh gap come up!