"a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" vs clean eating

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think both sides are too dramatic. There is much more to nutrition than calories- but you don't need to "eat clean" whatever that means, all the time either. There's a happy middle ground that you can find where you eat a well balanced and nutritious diet- and still enjoy some of the treats that you like.

My philosophy is to get protein first, eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, some whole grains, and use the excess calories however you wish. It's a very sustainable approach- does not at all feel like a diet.

I agree with this person. :smile:

I do make better choices.. like having a large salad instead of fries.. but if i WANT fries, i eat them. If you deprive yourself of everything, you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to find what works for YOU. This is forever.. not for now. If you can eat only "clean" and not a single processed food for the rest of you life, GREAT, but thats just not for me. --I also have "cheat days" once a week, and im still losing! =) 40 days and 19.5 pounds and 20.5 inches..

I basically believe that a calorie is a calorie, but that you can make better choices if you try to eat as clean as possible. If I want a candy bar for example, and it fits within my calories for the day I will have it - just not every day. I also don't believe in "cheating". I think you make choices and whatever foods you eat should be part of your day. Food is not our enemy. There are times when I want to have a treat and i build it into my day. Processed foods can be jus as healty as fruits and vegetables. If I want to have movie popcorn I have it. Just not every day.

Just aim for working on today and don't worry about the long term. The weight will come off and usually it's the slower the better. I also don't get hung up on the scale (well, I try not to). I weigh in every other week and don't own a scale. It's too much of a trial for me to weigh every day. I don't want to know the ups and downs of my body so I weigh in with my nutritionist and usually see a loss.

Just be good to yourself and live for the day.
  • RomeMaple
    RomeMaple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Very true
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a person "eat as much fruit" as they want while trying to lose weight. Green veggies you can go nuts, devouring a fruit plate will spike insulin and cause fat storage. Additionally fructose can contribute to fat storage through physiological processes.

Limit fruit if you are trying to lose weight, and ideally consume immediately after exercise.

Yes!

Yet more proof that a calorie is not a calorie.

Look, saying "A calorie is a calorie" and reducing fat loss down to primarily a maths problem is ridiculous, think about it people.

So 1200 calories of Snickers Bars has the same physiological effect as 1200 calories of steak? Absurd.

An extreme example, yes, but that IS what you are saying if you believe it is just about staying below some nominal calorie count.

Look up the Thermic Effect Of Food, this alone proves that a calorie is not a calorie. Look at how much energy the body has to burn to digest 1 gram of protein versus 1 gram of carbohydrate (or fat). There is energy lost in the processing of food and it differs according to macronutrient composition.

Does it not make sense to deal with the biology first (i.e. provide good nutrient-dense food and get the metabolism humming) and then worry about the volume of the intake?

And you don't need to exercise like a loon to get results. Bonus. :)
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Personally, I still lose weight when eating poorly (as long as I stay within my goals) I find it much easier and satisfying to lose weight while eating clean. I am not as hungry, I experience less cravings, I sleep better and in general I feel ****ing fantastic. :smile:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight doing both *shrugs*
    Do what works for you. If your weight is at a standstill, try the other side and see what happens. Why not?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    People who say a calorie is a calorie have never experienced the benefits of a low carb way of eating. It has been my experience and many others that a calorie is truely NOT a calorie and that hormones manage fat storage and fat oxidation. If you want any ideas or help with this feel free to add me;)
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think both sides are too dramatic. There is much more to nutrition than calories- but you don't need to "eat clean" whatever that means, all the time either. There's a happy middle ground that you can find where you eat a well balanced and nutritious diet- and still enjoy some of the treats that you like.

My philosophy is to get protein first, eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, some whole grains, and use the excess calories however you wish. It's a very sustainable approach- does not at all feel like a diet.

Love this.

MY journey is all about a lifestyle change. Being able to incorporate healthier "good for me" foods but at the same time being able to eat what I like in moderation. I can't dodge parties and get togethers for the rest of my life because they're not serving food "for me". Might as well become a hermit in that case. I have and am still learning how to balance the two and lead a healthy fruitful life.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    People who say a calorie is a calorie have never experienced the benefits of a low carb way of eating. It has been my experience and many others that a calorie is truely NOT a calorie and that hormones manage fat storage and fat oxidation. If you want any ideas or help with this feel free to add me;)

There is NO one diet fits all. Congrats on finding what works for you though.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend a person "eat as much fruit" as they want while trying to lose weight. Green veggies you can go nuts, devouring a fruit plate will spike insulin and cause fat storage. Additionally fructose can contribute to fat storage through physiological processes.

Limit fruit if you are trying to lose weight, and ideally consume immediately after exercise.
    Woah. You're putting words in my mouth. I never said to eat a ton of fruit- but in my experience fruit is generally self-limiting if you're watching your diet as a whole. The idea is balance. If you eat too much fruit, you won't get enough vegetables and protein and fat. I guess I could have chosen my words more carefully to specify more vegetables and some fruit.

I don't agree with the insulin hypothesis though- I think that's flat out wrong unless you have a metabolic reason to be concerned about insulin.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How does an insulin spike after eating fruit cause fat storage in a calorific deficit? What physioligical processes are you talking about? Why would you consume immediately after exercise?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A lot of these responses are great.

It's also important to remember that different things work for different people in terms of what we enjoy, how we feel, what causes feelings of normalcy or deprivation, what is manageable for us. All of that is going to be different for everyone (and can change from time to time). Only we know that for ourselves.

There is no perfect formula for knowing how many calories we need or how many we burn (and it's always changing). If you need to lose weight, there are lots of ways to do that by eating at a calorie deficit. But, health is also a factor as well (not just weight).

But, if you are maintaining weight and working on body composition (as I am), it becomes more complex and variable. At this point, I am tweaking things at a much more subtle level and striking a balance so I do not go under weight and am able to continue to build muscle (which is a type of controlled weight gain).
  • LishaCole
    Options

How does an insulin spike after eating fruit cause fat storage in a calorific deficit? What physioligical processes are you talking about? Why would you consume immediately after exercise?

So I am pulling together some random facts that I think he might have been referring to. Insulin has a multitude of effects on the metabolism of your cells, in the big picture the release of insulin decreases overall lipolysis. I think under a calorie deficit that this would be a more temporary occurrence, but it is important for body composition that your body uses released blood fats as the energy source and not circulating amino acids. Fructose bypasses important regulation steps in glucose metabolism, and can lead to a higher energy state in the cell, which after a series of steps can increase lipid synthesis. Also after exercise the muscles begin rebuilding their glycogen stores, a good use for that sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So I am pulling together some random facts that I think he might have been referring to. Insulin has a multitude of effects on the metabolism of your cells, in the big picture the release of insulin decreases overall lipolysis. I think under a calorie deficit that this would be a more temporary occurrence, but it is important for body composition that your body uses released blood fats as the energy source and not circulating amino acids. Fructose bypasses important regulation steps in glucose metabolism, and can lead to a higher energy state in the cell, which after a series of steps can increase lipid synthesis. Also after exercise the muscles begin rebuilding their glycogen stores, a good use for that sugar.

You are correct in that it is temporary and therefore none of it is relevent in a calorie deficit.
  • LishaCole
    Options
    I see. Maybe not for people operating at a high calorie deficient, but for people who are trying to maintain a very high muscle to fat ratio. In the sense that you wouldn't want to be repeatedly introducing sugar into the equation throughout the day.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

It's also important to remember that different things work for different people in terms of what we enjoy, how we feel, what causes feelings of normalcy or deprivation, what is manageable for us. All of that is going to be different for everyone (and can change from time to time). Only we know that for ourselves.

There is no perfect formula for knowing how many calories we need or how many we burn (and it's always changing). If you need to lose weight, there are lots of ways to do that easily by eating at a calorie deficit.

But, if you are maintaining weight and working on body composition (as I am), it becomes more complex and variable. At this point, I am tweaking things at a much more subtle level and striking a balance so I do not go under weight and am able to continue to build muscle.

This is the best response I've seen so far. YOU need to figure out what works for YOU in YOUR life. The absolutists will weigh in, and some already have, saying eating 100% clean (ie, nothing unhealthy, ever) and/or zero carb is the only way to go. Unless they have some insight into your life, they are just pushing their personal beliefs and habits to others. Try different ways of eating, give it a couple weeks at each time for your body to adjust, and see how you feel and how the weight loss is responding. You will eventually find a balance that provides the healthy nutrition you need and the occasional bit of unhealthy food that you might crave.
  • LishaCole
    Options

There is no perfect formula for knowing how many calories we need or how many we burn (and it's always changing). If you need to lose weight, there are lots of ways to do that easily by eating at a calorie deficit.

But, if you are maintaining weight and working on body composition (as I am), it becomes more complex and variable. At this point, I am tweaking things at a much more subtle level and striking a balance so I do not go under weight and am able to continue to build muscle.

This is the best response I've seen so far. YOU need to figure out what works for YOU in YOUR life. The absolutists will weigh in, and some already have, saying eating 100% clean (ie, nothing unhealthy, ever) and/or zero carb is the only way to go. Unless they have some insight into your life, they are just pushing their personal beliefs and habits to others. Try different ways of eating, give it a couple weeks at each time for your body to adjust, and see how you feel and how the weight loss is responding. You will eventually find a balance that provides the healthy nutrition you need and the occasional bit of unhealthy food that you might crave.

It's because she's so smart and experienced :flowerforyou: .
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Maybe not for people operating at a high calorie deficient, but for people who are trying to maintain a very high muscle to fat ratio.

Sorry - assuming this is related to my response I am a little confused as to the context (I am not being snarky at all - just trying to understand). Macros are very relevent for muscle retention - not the type of carbs. My initial question was in relation to the comment regarding fruit as opposed to vegetables (or actually any other carb).
  • von100blue
    von100blue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been following the priciples of the skinny chicks really don't eat salad for two weeks now. I lost about 8 stone doing the Dukan; high protien low fat; but my weight loss ground to a halt (admittedly one or two bad habits crept in) but I thought three good workouts per week would allow me the odd treat (wrong!) I also missed fruit. I feel AMAZING! Whereas I would be bleary eyed till ten AM I have been wide awake by 7am, I have so much energy, I think the secret is to eat every 3-4 hours to stabilize your blood sugars; I have no cravings for sugar or fatty stuff, though I must admit after 18 months this has been limited anyway so maybe it's become habit; I really look forward to eating a mix of good carb and protien along with a good fat (flax; oily fish; avacado etc) I have started to loose again, not able to do a workout at the moment due to a knee injury, This is not a quick fix but, boy do you feel great; I am wearing size 14-16 depending on the cut and shape wheras on the start of my journey my dres size was 24-26 and going up! Eat; feed yourself good stuff and do it regularly through the day. I am keeping an eye on total calories per day and staying whithin 1200 plus any excercise.
  • LishaCole
    Options
    Maybe not for people operating at a high calorie deficient, but for people who are trying to maintain a very high muscle to fat ratio.

Sorry - assuming this is related to my response I am a little confused as to the context (I am not being snarky at all - just trying to understand). Macros are very relevent for muscle retention - not the type of carbs. My initial question was in relation to the comment regarding fruit as opposed to vegetables (or actually any other carb).

No worries, I realized after that I was being totally vague. I blame it being past my bedtime. :laugh:

So this is speculation, I know some metabolism, but not the nitty gritty of fitness metabolism (something that I'm trying to read up on if any one knows good resources.) I think that being strict about sugar intake would be helpful to those who are walking the fine line of maintaining muscle while trying to slightly lower body fat composition. People that may be operating at a slight deficit. If you are ingesting sugars your cells aren't going to be burning that bit of fat for a time, lipid storage increases, and you may also use up some of the circulating amino acids that you would hope is being used for muscle repair.

I'm not sure if I'm getting any where with this, so on that note I'm going to bed. :flowerforyou:
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Woah. You're putting words in my mouth. I never said to eat a ton of fruit- but in my experience fruit is generally self-limiting if you're watching your diet as a whole. The idea is balance. If you eat too much fruit, you won't get enough vegetables and protein and fat. I guess I could have chosen my words more carefully to specify more vegetables and some fruit.

I don't agree with the insulin hypothesis though- I think that's flat out wrong unless you have a metabolic reason to be concerned about insulin.

Not to nitpick, but you said "eat as much fruit as possible." So I think that's where he came up with the idea that you said "eat a ton of fruit." Either way, I don't think anyone needs to avoid fruit as long as they stay under their calorie goal and get enough protein and fat.