Separating Fact from Fiction in the Fitness Industry

2»

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    What's a kettle ball? Even Google doesn't know?

How does using poles increase upper body endurance? Compared to what?

How is the EMG of the perfect push up relevant? Compared to what?

The only studies I've seen on weighted hula hoops were where they compared them to a group that did no exercise.

I wear vibrams, but your statement makes no sense.

I'm sure she meant kettlebells but agree with majority... arms get a workout with the poles by the way because some of the force will be acting through your arms and down the poles (plus you gotta shift them poles along and grasp/grip on to them) in order to do their job, i.e. taking some impact out of the leg joints such as knees and ankles. They are great if you're going downhiull walking or even just cross country like on the fells.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member

The only studies I've seen on weighted hula hoops were where they compared them to a group that did no exercise.

you couldn't find kettle bells on google? i found 1,570,000 results: http://www.google.com/search?q=kettle+bell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

they have been around longer than pretty much any exercise equipment except for the boulders they use for strongman competitions, and are excellent for full body strength training
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member

you couldn't find kettle bells on google? i found 1,570,000 results: http://www.google.com/search?q=kettle+bell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

they have been around longer than pretty much any exercise equipment except for the boulders they use for strongman competitions, and are excellent for full body strength training

I have many kettlebells.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member

I'm sure she meant kettlebells but agree with majority... arms get a workout with the poles by the way because some of the force will be acting through your arms and down the poles (plus you gotta shift them poles along and grasp/grip on to them) in order to do their job, i.e. taking some impact out of the leg joints such as knees and ankles. They are great if you're going downhiull walking or even just cross country like on the fells.

I'm fully aware of walking poles and their function, the statement still makes no sense. You still need a comparison, and increased upper body endurance for what? Walking?
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member

kettlebell not kettle ball.

vibrams...since you wear them you know running in them is basically the same running stride as running barefoot, staying more on the ball of your foot which allows your foot and leg to act as a spring and absorb the impact of foot contact with the ground than the heel first contact common with traditional running shoes.

Poles....I use them when backpacking. When in a walking / hiking stride I will have a foot and the opposite pole on the ground simultaneously. This allows me to use the poles to help with regular balance, create some power while pushing uphill and reach forward and down to help with balance and absorb some of the increased impact while going downhill. The poles allow your upper body muscles to be doing some work, lessening the strain on your lower body muscles. What I've heard before is this reduces the effort put out by your leg muscles, hence reducing fatigue, by 10-20%. I have no idea if the % is anywhere accurate, but I do know they work as advertised for me.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Dont forget that goofy mat where you put on "special socks" and slide left to right for 20 min

While I can't speak for the smaller infomercial mat version because I never used one that small, I actually love the full size slider boards. We had one in our house when I was a kid that I spent many an evening on. It was probably about 5-6 long and we used to use wool socks and pledge to keep the slickness.

But my I and my were roller skaters for a speed team and the slider board was an essential piece of training equipment that pretty much everyone on our speed team had. Since it was wider than your average side to side skating stride (adults often had wider ones since they had longer legs) and you had to make it to each end block in order to be able to push back to the other it was an amazing workout for the legs and made you have more powerful strides around the rink.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Funny as,
    always a fun read when someone debunks these adds,

er about the penis enlargement lol...

:laugh:
  • hellfleet
    hellfleet Posts: 2 Member
    I know it was a joke but,

For the record, H2O2 would be hydrogen peroxide (i.e. hair bleach), you don't want to be drinking that. But on the bright side you won't be making it by adding oxygen to water. You add oxygen to water and you get oxygen dissolved in water (in the same way you can get salt or sugar or carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water).

I'm a chemist, I can't let this stuff slide even when I'm trying to lurk :happy:

edit: Not that I'm defending the stupid drink. I'm fairly confident it'd do nothing.

I've never understood "oxygenated water". How do you add more oxygen if water is a scientific make-up of H20? If you add more Oxygen, wouldn't you get H202 and then be drinking hydrogen?
    hahahahaha........you are 100% correct.....I like you!!!!
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    I know it was a joke but,

For the record, H2O2 would be hydrogen peroxide (i.e. hair bleach), you don't want to be drinking that. But on the bright side you won't be making it by adding oxygen to water. You add oxygen to water and you get oxygen dissolved in water (in the same way you can get salt or sugar or carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water).

I'm a chemist, I can't let this stuff slide even when I'm trying to lurk :happy:

edit: Not that I'm defending the stupid drink. I'm fairly confident it'd do nothing.

^^
    What was said. There's a limit to how much water will hold anyway, and the toughest thing for it to hold onto is a form of gas! If you want to, try this - fill a glass half way with ANY form of drink with bubbles and then add a teaspoon or so of sugar or salt. These have a higher affinity for being dissolved in water than the carbon dioxide (bubbles) and will cause the drink to foam, releasing the carbon dioxide. [Place the glass in the sink to minimize the clean up! ;-) ]