VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• ipinch
    ipinch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I cant even read all of this thread! Are we seriously discussing this??? Look....I am overweight, I am doing something about it. Bra, no bra! Body image issues, VS campaign, blah blah blah!!!!!! I don't mean to be rude or belittle anyone but seriously???? Are you not on this site to lose weight or get healthy???? I am so confused. I honestly couln't care less is a store carries my size( Which happen to be a cup size of GG so stop *****ing.) You are obviously all here to track your daily intake or your exercise etc......whynthe need to over annalyse a stupid commercial? Our bodies are all different shapes and sizes and a commercial will try to appeal to the largest audience. It doesnt mean it is attacking your shape or your size. So VS doesnt sell what you wear, to bad that they lose out on your business. As for the commercial??? OMG get over it. I currently weigh 265 lbs, I am beautiful!!!! But Im here because I want to be healthy and VS, Lane Bryant, etc is not going to do it for me, I have to do it for me! So here comes the "rude" part.........get over it, it's a stupid commercial that is taking up far to much time in your life. There my rant is over, thanks for your time.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

You say sarcastically "all fat people are unhealthy, right?"

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I was on antidepressants for 5 years, which contributed to my weight gain. I also didn't eat the best but I was exercising in competitive marching band (yes it is a sport, to those anti-music program people). I want to be able to love myself at every size I'm at but apparently, I'm not allowed to. I must be ashamed of myself because I'm not at my goal yet. And I'm a bit insulted that you assume that I won't associate myself with fat people anymore when I reach my goal. So am I to break up with my boyfriend and abandon my family just because I'm smaller than them? How dare you. I love my family and I love my boyfriend. I hope not all skinny people are so snobbish.

Well then love yourself the way you are. VS isn't telling you not to, that poster you replied to wasn't telling you not to, nobody is saying you can't love yourself except you. YOU are the one interpreting those ads as fat bashing and YOU are the one letting yourself get dragged into feeling guilty over not looking like those models. Nobody makes you feel bad about yourself if you are truly happy and content with yourself. I mean, I've certainly got a few pounds to lose, but I'm not going to feel bad that I'm not a fashion model. Why would I? I don't place all my self worth on my looks and I've built up enough self esteem to be happy with myself even if I don't think I'm perfect (and no, I do not subscribe to the "Everyone is perfect and beautiful" view-- I subscribe to "We're all flawed and most of us are average" view). VS isn't picking on you, they're doing what businesses do-- worrying about profit rather than how an individual decides to interpret their ads.

Honestly, I don't have a lot going for me at the moment. I work in a warehouse, I can't drive (working on it), my degree is a waste and the only way I see me being able to support myself in this ****ty economy is if I marry a guy with a good job. So yeah I don't have a lot of self esteem at the moment. At least I'm honest about it. I'm an emotional person, I can't remove how I feel about a lot of things. Sorry. :/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Can you please jump off the high horse and leave the OP alone?????

I'm sure she posted this rant because she wanted to be left alone
  • newmeann
    newmeann Posts: 19
    Options

you are being a bully.
  • Erisad
    Options

I wanted to talk about the commercial, not get bashed for voicing my opinion. How do I go about getting this thread locked? I'm done.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

AND IF YOU DIDN'T DELETE THE REST OF MY COMMENT IN YOUR QUOTES, I addressed her as well saying the same. Sheesh. 8 pages, enough already!!! Build each other UP instead of tearing each other down.
  • newmeann
    newmeann Posts: 19
    Options

AND IF YOU DIDN'T DELETE THE REST OF MY COMMENT IN YOUR QUOTES, I addressed her as well saying the same. Sheesh. 8 pages, enough already!!! Build each other UP instead of tearing each other down.

exactly.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think everyone needs a little Ryan Gosling right now...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH8ibnCecNXm7CeoVSwWlOp0Am6kW-X2s37vKR5Dk7k6yavQM-uA
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Dude... relax. This is the internet, and aside from a few small comments, this thread has mostly been people sharing differing opinions. And I don't know about you, but I feel like sharing opinions is important. Just because I disagree with the OP, doesn't mean I am bashing her or telling her she's WRONG. My opinion is that if you don't fit the clothes at VS, you should shop somewhere else. My opinion is also that if you don't like a company's ad campaign, you can complain about it, you can refuse to shop there, and you can change the channel... but regardless, you're not going to make VS change how they do business... you're just going to have to shop somewhere else... (sensing a trend?? I hope so)

The fact that the OP posts inflammatory topics and then repeatedly puts words in to other peoples' mouths about how they think and feel about her is a completely separate issue.
  • Erisad
    Options
    you are being a bully.

This whole F'ing thread was started to bully others. How blind are you idiots?

No it wasn't! I was talking about the commercial and not bashing skinny people. I was not intending on bullying others, I promise. D:
  • infamousmk
    Options
    you are being a bully.

I definitely get the vibe that this thread was started with the intention of calling out women of a certain size in the commercials for not representing women of a differing size. That is women tearing down women, and it is bullsh|t.
  • Erisad
    Options

Dude... relax. This is the internet, and aside from a few small comments, this thread has mostly been people sharing differing opinions. And I don't know about you, but I feel like sharing opinions is important. Just because I disagree with the OP, doesn't mean I am bashing her or telling her she's WRONG. My opinion is that if you don't fit the clothes at VS, you should shop somewhere else. My opinion is also that if you don't like a company's ad campaign, you can complain about it, you can refuse to shop there, and you can change the channel... but regardless, you're not going to make VS change how they do business... you're just going to have to shop somewhere else... (sensing a trend?? I hope so)

The fact that the OP posts inflammatory topics and then repeatedly puts words in to other peoples' mouths about how they think and feel about her is a completely separate issue.

I did not intend on pissing people off, I didn't! :sad:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Can we burn our bras in front of Ryan Gosling? :)
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    Crazy responses in this thread! Fat bashing and skinny bashing are both assholish things to do, so can we just stop??! I know this is a weight loss forum, but damn size really doesn't matter as much as we think it does. I'm a cardiac/pulmonary nurse and guess what, thin people have health problems too. I've even seen a few overweight people who have better health than a thin person.

I know "obese" people who exercise every day, can probably out run me, and eat healthy consistently. Maybe they stay larger b/c they aren't trying to lose weight b/c they are actually happy with their bodies not looking like the media standard. I say good for them, if they feel good! Same goes for people who some would say are "too skinny."

I definitely noticed that when I was nearly 200 pounds, I was treated very differently. As someone who had been thin and nice looking all their life, this was such a sad shock to me b/c the world received me so differently just based on my size. Very sad.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    LOL if you think this ad is targeted at women.
  • Erisad
    Options
    you are being a bully.

I definitely get the vibe that this thread was started with the intention of calling out women of a certain size in the commercials for not representing women of a differing size. That is women tearing down women, and it is bullsh|t.

I was not trying to tear anyone down, OMFG. I was just saying that it's hypocritical to save "Love your body" when they only love a specific body type and to hell with everyone else.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can we burn our bras in front of Ryan Gosling? :)

I approve of doing ANYTHING in front of Ryan Gosling ;)
  • infamousmk
    Options

I did not intend on pissing people off, I didn't! :sad:

Are you new to the internet? I mean that in the nicest way possible, I really do.... But it seems to me you do not comprehend the dynamic of an online forum. People are going to disagree with you... and people are sometimes going to say hurtful things. I have watched you on more than two occasions now get extremely upset that people are disagreeing with you, and your defense is that they think you are too fat, or too ugly or not good enough for whatever reason, and you know, as a long-time user of the webz, I don't get that vibe from the comments people make toward you at all. I really, truly and honestly think you are probably dealing with some personal issues in relation to your self worth and self esteem and you're projecting those things on to these conversations. You act like a martyr. Saying that you only get comments on negative threads and nobody comments on your victories is a martyrish thing to say... do you have a strong friend's list of people that will build you up and support you? Those are the people you need to look to for support - the main forums aren't so good at it. If you don't have that support system built yet, try friending people!! and really, again, as with all forums, the incendiary topics are going to get more comments (but I think you know that.....).

Good luck to you on your journey, I do hope you find everything you need and reach all of your goals.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    LOL if you think this ad is targeted at women.

No.. kidding...seriously...
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    It is now the hypocrisy thread.

Now everyone friggan get over it and move on. The whole topic is done and now everyone is being bullies.

And FFS...GIVE ME MORE RYAN GOSLING!

MEEP MEEP!