VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I like your post!

THE FOLLOWING IS AIMED TOWARDS SOME PEOPLES RESPONSES:

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.

I know. I really need to stop posting on these forums. Almost every time I do, I get bashed and am left crying, regretting ever sharing my opinion in the first place. Apparently only pretty people are allowed to post their feelings on here. Once I made a joke about me being pretty and I was bashed for being "delusional", like there's no way someone would ever find me pretty. For a weight loss support site, there are so many snobs here. None of my positive posts get any notice (I posted a small NSV this morning that got like one reply) but as soon as it's slightly negative, everyone explodes at me for being whiny and annoying.

You are a martyr.

I guess so? O.o
  • newmeann
    newmeann Posts: 19
    Options
    I like your post!

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.

There is no MFP rule that I am aware of that states all opinions and advice must be nice. Please quote it to me if I am wrong. I am entitled to share my opinion just the same as you, whether or not I think the OP's point was valid. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, the internet is not the place for you.

Oh did you think I was talking about you? I wasn't, but you must have said something that wasn't great for you to think that. At least it shows you have a conscience, even if you don't use it. This post was from a user posting in "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT" maybe you should get off her post? This was one of things I was talking about, people don't really think before responding. The girl is asking for support about being upset about VS. If you don't know what "support" means, you can look it up on dictionary.com.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

You say sarcastically "all fat people are unhealthy, right?"

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I was on antidepressants for 5 years, which contributed to my weight gain. I also didn't eat the best but I was exercising in competitive marching band (yes it is a sport, to those anti-music program people). I want to be able to love myself at every size I'm at but apparently, I'm not allowed to. I must be ashamed of myself because I'm not at my goal yet. And I'm a bit insulted that you assume that I won't associate myself with fat people anymore when I reach my goal. So am I to break up with my boyfriend and abandon my family just because I'm smaller than them? How dare you. I love my family and I love my boyfriend. I hope not all skinny people are so snobbish.

where did she mention abandoning your family? she meant you won't associate with "fat people" as in you won't see yourself that way. I've read a lot of threads with your posts in them and they all have one theme. People give you a solution to a problem and you make excuses about why you can't do that. Stop making excuses and either take people's advice or actively search for something that works for you. you're just making yourself miserable.

She said I wouldn't associate with fat people anymore, a lot of my family is overweight. Ergo, if I weren't to associate with fat people anymore, I'd have to abandon my family. I tend to take things literally so I'm sorry if I misunderstood. >.<

I swear, I make posts that aren't like that. Just that people don't remember those posts. I swear no one remembers or notices the positive posts I make. Nope, just the negative ones. Apparently I must be happy 100% of the time or MFP people won't like me. I'm not allowed to have an off day, EVER. I'll keep that in mind. :/

you're doing it again. it's a pattern. you can't deny that. it's not an off day. I understand off days. I have never one time seen a post by you that's positive. if there are posts that are positive, then I believe you. I'm just saying that the majority of your posts are you being miserable. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you. You need to change your perspective rather that make yourself miserable. You will never ever succeed if you are unhappy. If something upsets you, change it. Don't let things--like a stupid commercial-- get to you. Go out and love yourself and make the changes you think you need to make.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    This is getting just ridiculous. We are not entitled to shop at whatever stores we choose, despite our body type, and shop owners have no responsibility to cater to everyone and anyone. That's the cool thing about the free market - people can market and cater to any size or shape that they please. Tall, thin and lanky is Victoria's Secret's market, and they don't keep it a secret.

Also, I'm all for loving your own body - but not every "feel good about yourself" campaign has to be directed toward overweight women, and not every ad with a thin woman in it is a direct attack on plus-size girls. If your self-appreciation is so closely tied to advertising, then really there's a bigger problem at hand.

Nothing says you are entitled to shop at a certain place - there are hundreds of retailers that sell cute bras for larger sizes (Lane Bryant and Just My Size come to mind), plus online shopping literally puts them right at your fingertips. People talking about petitioning Victoria's Secret just sound silly - they don't have to make a 40FF bra any more than Lane Bryant needs to make a pair of 00 jeans.

If you like VS products, lose the weight to get to that size, and if you don't want to, then don't shop there.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Have we considered that the ad doesn't mean "Love your body no matter what"... but what it actually means is "Love your body enough to wear gorgeous underwear and feel confident enough to walk around your house in it."

Because really, both are very important.. and my guess is VS is probably trying to promote the latter.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I agree that carrying an instrument around for hours is exercise. Did antidepressants really make you fat? Or was your statement "I didn't eat the best" a little closer to the real reason?

No one says you aren't "allowed" to love yourself at whatever size you are.
    No one said you should be "ashamed".
    You misread me - I don't think you are going to IDENTIFY with "fat people" when you're at your goal weight. I didn't say you should break off all of your relationships with people who are overweight. But when you have a different body, you will see things a little differently.

I don't remember being so bitter when I was fat.

Well, I did gain 40 pounds without making any changes to what I was eating or my exercise when I started the anti depressants so they certainly didn't help.

Yeah, I'll probably be allowed to post on MFP and not get my head bitten off by the beautiful people. :grumble:

I swear I am a happy person most of the time. Just that no one remembers those times apparently. I'm usually not posting here when I'm happier, which is probably why. Ugh.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    this is the same thing as lululemon not having larger sizes. the company wants to portray a certain image. and they feel that larger women dont fit that image.

why is this so upsetting to people? just shop somewhere else.

also for those who are upset...should VS make clothes that fit all women? 300lb? 400? etc....?
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This thread is getting a little out of hand. Why do women have a constant need to bash each other and put each other down? There will always be some one more fit, more smart, more beautiful, more anything-- yet we are programmed to automatically throw out insults and degrade one another.

Surely there is something more productive of our time than reloading this thread and continuing to toss insults at each other and put each other down.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I was on antidepressants for 5 years, which contributed to my weight gain. I also didn't eat the best but I was exercising in competitive marching band (yes it is a sport, to those anti-music program people). I want to be able to love myself at every size I'm at but apparently, I'm not allowed to. I must be ashamed of myself because I'm not at my goal yet. And I'm a bit insulted that you assume that I won't associate myself with fat people anymore when I reach my goal. So am I to break up with my boyfriend and abandon my family just because I'm smaller than them? How dare you. I love my family and I love my boyfriend. I hope not all skinny people are so snobbish.

Well then love yourself the way you are. VS isn't telling you not to, that poster you replied to wasn't telling you not to, nobody is saying you can't love yourself except you. YOU are the one interpreting those ads as fat bashing and YOU are the one letting yourself get dragged into feeling guilty over not looking like those models. Nobody makes you feel bad about yourself if you are truly happy and content with yourself. I mean, I've certainly got a few pounds to lose, but I'm not going to feel bad that I'm not a fashion model. Why would I? I don't place all my self worth on my looks and I've built up enough self esteem to be happy with myself even if I don't think I'm perfect (and no, I do not subscribe to the "Everyone is perfect and beautiful" view-- I subscribe to "We're all flawed and most of us are average" view). VS isn't picking on you, they're doing what businesses do-- worrying about profit rather than how an individual decides to interpret their ads.
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I went into Victoria Secret to be fit for a new bra... I had shopped there for years, even at my heaviest I could fit into their largest cup size... I went in, she measured me and then said, "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed... Needless to say, even when I get back down to "THEIR SIZES" I won't be shopping there.... Just awful...

This^^^. I don't have an issue with their sizes just some of their sales people.
  • newmeann
    Options
    I like your post!

The End.

I know. I really need to stop posting on these forums. Almost every time I do, I get bashed and am left crying, regretting ever sharing my opinion in the first place. Apparently only pretty people are allowed to post their feelings on here. Once I made a joke about me being pretty and I was bashed for being "delusional", like there's no way someone would ever find me pretty. For a weight loss support site, there are so many snobs here. None of my positive posts get any notice (I posted a small NSV this morning that got like one reply) but as soon as it's slightly negative, everyone explodes at me for being whiny and annoying.

You are a martyr.

It's only right.
    P.s. You are doing a great job, keep it up!
  • Erisad
    Options

where did she mention abandoning your family? she meant you won't associate with "fat people" as in you won't see yourself that way. I've read a lot of threads with your posts in them and they all have one theme. People give you a solution to a problem and you make excuses about why you can't do that. Stop making excuses and either take people's advice or actively search for something that works for you. you're just making yourself miserable.

She said I wouldn't associate with fat people anymore, a lot of my family is overweight. Ergo, if I weren't to associate with fat people anymore, I'd have to abandon my family. I tend to take things literally so I'm sorry if I misunderstood. >.<

I swear, I make posts that aren't like that. Just that people don't remember those posts. I swear no one remembers or notices the positive posts I make. Nope, just the negative ones. Apparently I must be happy 100% of the time or MFP people won't like me. I'm not allowed to have an off day, EVER. I'll keep that in mind. :/

you're doing it again. it's a pattern. you can't deny that. it's not an off day. I understand off days. I have never one time seen a post by you that's positive. if there are posts that are positive, then I believe you. I'm just saying that the majority of your posts are you being miserable. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm trying to help you. You need to change your perspective rather that make yourself miserable. You will never ever succeed if you are unhappy. If something upsets you, change it. Don't let things--like a stupid commercial-- get to you. Go out and love yourself and make the changes you think you need to make.

Right. Maybe I should put a banner above all my positive posts so people will ****ing notice. "OMG I'M HAPPY TODAY YOU GUYSSSS. SEE? I'M NOT A BITTER UGLY ***** ALL THE TIIIIIME!" No wait, that would be ridiculous. Also I'm not the biggest fan of all caps but sometimes they help prove a point I guess. :laugh:

Oh did you think I was talking about you? I wasn't, but you must have said something that wasn't great for you to think that. At least it shows you have a conscience, even if you don't use it. This post was from a user posting in "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT" maybe you should get off her post? This was one of things I was talking about, people don't really think before responding. The girl is asking for support about being upset about VS. If you don't know what "support" means, you can look it up on dictionary.com.

This is why I posted it here. But apparently that doesn't matter. You can post about that you were diagnosed with cancer and there will still be people who say you deserve it because you're a fat person. :/
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I like your post!

The End.

There is no MFP rule that I am aware of that states all opinions and advice must be nice. Please quote it to me if I am wrong. I am entitled to share my opinion just the same as you, whether or not I think the OP's point was valid. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, the internet is not the place for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • newmeann
    Options
    :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I do love that you posted an admitted "RANT" to a board called "Motivation and Support" when what you really want is support in hating other women

Yes, I'm sure you're a really happy person in your everyday life, as you keep trying to point out in spite of your bitterness that there happens to be a subsection of the lingerie industry that caters primarily to thinner women than you
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    this is the same thing as lululemon not having larger sizes. the company wants to portray a certain image. and they feel that larger women dont fit that image.

why is this so upsetting to people? just shop somewhere else.

also for those who are upset...should VS make clothes that fit all women? 300lb? 400? etc....?

I think lululemon sizes are hilarious! I typically wear a size 6-8 in pants. There I happen to be a 4. They market feel-good, slimming wear.

This has gotten crazy now. It started out seeming to just be a rant looking for people to identify with. Now it's personal attacks and victimized whining.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I love VS. Their products fit me better than any other brand, and they do wonders for masking my body issues. They do what they do for people of my body type well, and I rather appreciate that they're not trying to make bras for every pair of boobs out there because it could lead to generic, doesn't-fit-anyone-perfectly items.

Find a brand that works for you. If it's not VS, appreciate that they help some of us love our bodies a little more.
  • newmeann
    Options
    I like your post!

The End.

You should never let anyone from the internet make you cry, let alone anyone in real life. I can almost guarantee, most of the people that are saying mean things to you on here would NEVER do it to your face. Keep your chin up girl.
    Karma.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I do love that you posted an admitted "RANT" to a board called "Motivation and Support" when what you really want is support in hating other women

Yes, I'm sure you're a really happy person in your everyday life, as you keep trying to point out in spite of your bitterness that there happens to be a subsection of the lingerie industry that caters primarily to thinner women than you

Can you please jump off the high horse and leave the OP alone?????

OP-- Make this craziness end and stop defending yourself to strangers online. With each reply, it's just getting more out of hand.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love VS. Their products fit me better than any other brand, and they do wonders for masking my body issues. They do what they do for people of my body type well, and I rather appreciate that they're not trying to make bras for every pair of boobs out there because it could lead to generic, doesn't-fit-anyone-perfectly items.

Find a brand that works for you. If it's not VS, appreciate that they help some of us love our bodies a little more.

I love how tactfully you said that :flowerforyou:

ETA: And that's coming from someone who can't wear VS.