VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like your post!

THE FOLLOWING IS AIMED TOWARDS SOME PEOPLES RESPONSES:

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.

There is no MFP rule that I am aware of that states all opinions and advice must be nice. Please quote it to me if I am wrong. I am entitled to share my opinion just the same as you, whether or not I think the OP's point was valid. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, the internet is not the place for you.

Nice and supportive do not teach or motivate me, neither do they help me learn more in a debate. What they do is make feel as though someone is coddling me or holding my hand instead of treating me like a grownup whop can take real feedback.

I dont want the OMG YOURE SO AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEE I want the - try this instead if you keep having this problem, cause youre doing this this and this wrong and its holding you back and probably going to cause you to injure yourself.

In debates and discussions there would be absolutely nothing to talk abotu if everyone showed up like they all had Thumper's Momma and agreed on EVERYTHING.

Seriously I get so fed up when someone decides that ONLY THIS KIND OF INTERACTION IS HELPFUL. No its not.

The Bambi lesson was made to keep school aged children using manners - not to impede adult communication and idea sharing by babyproofing your mouth.

Said perfectly. /endthread
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    ugh, this reminds me of when I was younger working in a higher end section of a national department store. The sizes in the section were like 2-14 ish (some brands only went up to 10 or Euro '30') when a lady approached me and said in a haughty voice 'excuse me, where is a WOMAN supposed to find some jeans around here'. Well, I was 19 and a little naive and honestly, just trying to be helpful said 'oh, the misses items are on the third floor' and she screamed 'what is this, the princess department' - jeebus, some people will be offended by ANYTHING.

I also enjoy she insinuated anyone under size 14 was what, a boy?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Only one thing is clear in this thread...

You all suck at posting Gosling memes! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

1333574762_ryan-gosling-article.jpg
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Are you new to the internet? I mean that in the nicest way possible, I really do.... But it seems to me you do not comprehend the dynamic of an online forum. People are going to disagree with you... and people are sometimes going to say hurtful things. I have watched you on more than two occasions now get extremely upset that people are disagreeing with you, and your defense is that they think you are too fat, or too ugly or not good enough for whatever reason, and you know, as a long-time user of the webz, I don't get that vibe from the comments people make toward you at all. I really, truly and honestly think you are probably dealing with some personal issues in relation to your self worth and self esteem and you're projecting those things on to these conversations. You act like a martyr. Saying that you only get comments on negative threads and nobody comments on your victories is a martyrish thing to say... do you have a strong friend's list of people that will build you up and support you? Those are the people you need to look to for support - the main forums aren't so good at it. If you don't have that support system built yet, try friending people!! and really, again, as with all forums, the incendiary topics are going to get more comments (but I think you know that.....).

Good luck to you on your journey, I do hope you find everything you need and reach all of your goals.

No I'm not. I do have Asperger's so that does tend to get me in trouble in misinterpreting people and I'm overly emotional and have a hard time separating my self worth from what others say of me. I'm okay with people disagreeing with me but the way they were making me sound I didn't like so much. I'm not a horrible person, I promise. >.<

Nobody said you were a horrible person!!!!!! See?? That right there.. that's what makes people so upset with the things you say! Nowhere did I say anything about your worth as a person or your ability to be compassionate.....

Anyhow, I did not realize you had Asbergers, and that actually makes things much more clear to me (I have a daughter on the Autism spectrum). Chin up, gal. Weight loss and self esteem are hard things that really do go hand in hand. It may be a good idea to take a moment and think about the potential intention of a post before your reply, if I may offer some advice. Consider the words as though your mother or someone you love were saying them to you - we all have that one good friend or family member who 'tells it like it is' ... if you try to look at the comments in a constructive and positive light before assuming people are trying to hurt you with their words, it may really help.

Honestly, this thread made me feel like I'm a horrible person. That I'm offensive and need to refrain from speaking.

That might help. I'm so used to people attacking me that I tend to assume that's what they're doing from the start. Thank you. :)
  • ipinch
    ipinch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can you please jump off the high horse and leave the OP alone?????

I'm sure she posted this rant because she wanted to be left alone

Nope, not a bully.....just honest!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed...

I'm not sure what you wanted her to say if she's just a salesperson and the store doesn't actually carry your size.

It was her tone of voice that she used, like she was annoyed that I was even there interrupting her discussion with her friend about what she did with her boyfriend the night before... very unprofessional... there was a much better way to address it.....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

1333574762_ryan-gosling-article.jpg

Atta Girl!!!!!!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I don't like VS bras. The B cup is too big then the A cup is too small. I don't care what size it says, I just care that it fits right. I don't like their formed cups, like everyone is the same shape. Oh wait....it's VS, they DO think we are all the same shape.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Also, I get sick of hearing what a "real" woman is on this site and that "women are supposed to have curves." Women are supposed to be healthy... bottom line. I don't support either being underweight or overweight. Love your body, but love it enough to make it a healthy one. And that's all I'm going to say anymore.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "I'm sick of hearing", I can choose to read or not read. But, I do agree with this poster. Models are models, athletes are athletes, but I think "average" is not a good image to project. I think we need to be careful to understand that average is not healthy in most cases. There's a difference between being a size 14 with muscle than being a size 14 with a 35+% BF.

I have never been considered overweight (with the excepion of post-pregnancy) or had difficulty buying clothing. But I know I need Misses sizes and not Juniors to fit my body. I understand that not everyone can shop at VS, but not everyone can shop at Lane Bryant either. I don't complain about the models they use in the Cross your Heart commercials - I don't have a "full-figure". It's all how you look at it, and it's all marketing.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Amen sister!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I CAME BACK, I COULDNT HELP IT

RYAN GOSLING COME BACK TO MEEEEE

Edit: or go skinny dipping with Daniel Craig while I watch from the bushes, that's cool too.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I think we should all get together and burn our bras outside of Victorias Secret! COME ON GIRLS

At $57 a piece for my bras, i can't afford to burn my bras... i could go to target or walmart and buy some training bras and clearance to burn! but i really don't like to support those places with my business either...
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't like VS bras. The B cup is too big then the A cup is too small. I don't care what size it says, I just care that it fits right. I don't like their formed cups, like everyone is the same shape. Oh wait....it's VS, they DO think we are all the same shape.

To be honest, the only way I solved this was buying the B...with padding. The padding fills the rest of the cup. It's so confusing...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I like your post!

THE FOLLOWING IS AIMED TOWARDS SOME PEOPLES RESPONSES:

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.

There is no MFP rule that I am aware of that states all opinions and advice must be nice. Please quote it to me if I am wrong. I am entitled to share my opinion just the same as you, whether or not I think the OP's point was valid. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, the internet is not the place for you.

Oh did you think I was talking about you? I wasn't, but you must have said something that wasn't great for you to think that. At least it shows you have a conscience, even if you don't use it. This post was from a user posting in "MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT" maybe you should get off her post? This was one of things I was talking about, people don't really think before responding. The girl is asking for support about being upset about VS. If you don't know what "support" means, you can look it up on dictionary.com.

Now I would like you to find the part of my statement that read as a guilty conscience. I was just telling you that it isn't against the rules to say something that was less than perfectly nice. I don't take a back a single statement I've made on this topic, including me telling you that you've mixed up the rules about what is and isn't allowed to be said here :laugh:
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Agreed. I find their bras to be garbage.. the quality is horrible and the shaping is awful.
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There will ALWAYS be people & corporations out there telling women (and men) how they should and should not look, how they should dress, what kind of car they should drive, what bra size they should be, etc etc etc. We'll never be able to get rid of these people, unfortunately. What drives these people is money, and money makes the world go 'round (so they say). Instead of wasting our time and energy trying to "get rid" of this messaging, we need to empower younger generations so that they are confident enough in themselves not to let this messaging affect them in a negative way. They need to be taught what their priorities should be, and not let society, commercials, tv shows, singers etc screw up them up. It's NOT about starving yourself so that your rib bones are poking out, because that's what Victoria's Secret tells you is "sexy". It's not about looking a certain way so that pig-headed men will want to have sex with you. It's not about talking down to yourself because you gained 5lbs. What it IS about, is TAKING CARE of your body in a healthy way so that it can function properly. In turn, this will make you sexy - REALLY sexy. Much sexier than any model could ever be. It will also make you confident. It will also give you the headspace to focus on more positive and productive things. Those VS models may be nice girls, but they are not doing the world a favour by any means.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The Bambi lesson was made to keep school aged children using manners - not to impede adult communication and idea sharing by babyproofing your mouth.
    That
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I cant wear VS. im a 32B. they have 32A or 34B. plus, even fully tightened, the straps fall off my shoulders. :(
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed...

I'm not sure what you wanted her to say if she's just a salesperson and the store doesn't actually carry your size.

"We carry 28A to 38DD. Let me check if we have your size online/try Nordstrom." would have sufficed.

^^This... Thank you... the fact that she called me "honey" and then said it in the tone was completely unprofessional... there was definitely a better way to say it....