Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltftp7JipR1qf1116o1_500.gif
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Take the weight of slowly and it should not be so much of a problem :)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The skin is an organ of its own much like other body parts. It's very adaptive in fact. This lady sat down for a couple of months on a toilet seat (her boyfriend just gave her food, true story) and didn't move from that position. She was stuck in the toilet seat cause her skin cells attached to the toilet seat. Anyways ignored that story, just trying to make a point of how the skin is.

The only time that the skin hangs as far as I'm concern for a longer time is when a person has weight loss surgery. Since the Skin doesn't have time to adapt to the new body structure it just hangs basically. When you train your body to lose weight slowly it adapts on the go as you lose a few pounds so you don't need to worry about that.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    COPIED from GET-FIT Guy website

Different layers of your skin have different types of cells, and though the skin cells on the outer part of your skin (the epidermis) are constantly being lost and replaced with new cells, the skin cells under the epidermis are a bit more permanent. These layers of the skin, called the dermis and subdermis, are made up of elastic connective tissues, fibers, blood vessels and all sorts of components that can stretch or contract depending on how they’re treated.
    What Happens to Your Skin When You Lose Weight?
    When you lose weight, and especially when you lose weight very quickly, these elastic components of your skin not only lose the layers of fat that keep them stretched out over your body, but they also don’t have much time for their elasticity to adapt to your new shape.
    In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin and give you that elephant-like appearance you probably don’t want.
    How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss
    As you lose fat and your loose skin begins to appear, the first rule is: don’t panic! Because it is a living organ, your skin will slowly return to a shape that fits your new body. But since that process can take up to two years, here are steps you can take to make your skin tighten more quickly:
    Tip #1: Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly
    In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin.Crash diets and excessive amounts of time spent exercising can rapidly shed both muscle and fat, resulting in a double-whammy on your skin--the supportive underlying muscular structure that holds skin against your body is lost, as is the fat that keeps the skin stretched out. Quick and dirty tip for not losing weight too quickly: Aim for 1-2 pounds of fat loss per week, and make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting so that you do not lose lean muscle. Check out more weight lifting and strength training tips here.
    Tip #2: Stay Hydrated
    Attend to your hydration needs. Water is a crucial component of maintaining skin elasticity. From both food and drink, you should be taking in at least two liters of water each day. A wonderful resource for learning more about proper hydration is this article from Nutrition Diva: How Much Water Should I Drink?
    Tip #3: Eat Properly
    Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. Quick and dirty protein tip: For optimum absorption, squeeze 100-200 calories of these protein sources in immediately after your workout. For more on what to eat when working out, see my article on what to eat before and after exercising.
    Tip #4: Take Care of Your Skin
    Nourish and care for your skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation. A hot bath with sea salts and minerals can improve skin tone. Skin tightening creams with herbal formulas and ingredients such as aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, soy protein, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A can help to hydrate and increase collagen and elastin formation in skin.
    Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Quick and dirty tip: If you swim for fitness, use soap and shampoos that are specially designed to remove chlorine.
    When to Consider Surgery for Loose Skin
    Skin can only be stretched so far before it looses some of its ability to snap back. If you’ve had a 9-month pregnancy, then you’ll be able to tighten your loose skin. But if you’ve carried a hundred or more extra pounds for many years, you may be a candidate for plastic surgery to tighten and lift loose skin. This fix should only be used in extreme cases, and I should warn you: my clients who have undergone this operation have actually gained more fat afterwards while they were rehabilitating from surgery!
    Bottom Line
    As mentioned earlier, elasticity of your skin will naturally decrease with age. Though you can address issues such as not losing weight too quickly, staying properly hydrated, eating the right foods, and caring for your skin, you simply have no control over your age! Quick and dirty tip: Rather than letting age stress you out, you should focus on the things over which you have control—like exercising and eating right—and you’ll find that you always look good.
    Whether you have a kangaroo pouch, an orangutan chin, or elephant legs, you can use the tips in this article to tighten loose skin or prevent loose skin in the first place.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    hey kaylou
    i too have just over 5 stone to lose and am veeeery worried about loose skin. I have been on steroids, high doses, on and off for years and this has already damaged the dermis layer of my skin and left me with stretch marks covering my thighs, arms, belly, lower back, chest. Im worried they will get even worse as the weight comes off :( its pretty miserable!
    This is what Im doing to try and help minimise the loose skin (I can already pinch about a cm of very thin skin on my chest and thighs)
    1. Drink plenty water
    2. Bio oil on stretch marks
    3. Nivea firming moistursiser, pretty much everywhere
    4. losing weight slowly, aiming for 1.5lb per week
    5. Strength training (weights and resistance exercises) interspersed with all the cardio
    6. Wishing very hard!!!
    7. Remembering that even if I get the dreaded loose skin, i will look better in clothes than before, and no worse naked than before!

Chin up, keep going, good luck :)

^^ LIKE

I have the same problem, have lost 66 lbs and boy do I hate the loose skin on thighs and stomach. But #7 above is helping me to feel better about it until it tightens up some ( I hope at least some, haven't done anything with weights yet Guess it's time to start) and I do look better in clothes now, I tell my family and friends they just can't see what underneath LOL)

Wishing you the best!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    hey kaylou
    i too have just over 5 stone to lose and am veeeery worried about loose skin. I have been on steroids, high doses, on and off for years and this has already damaged the dermis layer of my skin and left me with stretch marks covering my thighs, arms, belly, lower back, chest. Im worried they will get even worse as the weight comes off :( its pretty miserable!
    This is what Im doing to try and help minimise the loose skin (I can already pinch about a cm of very thin skin on my chest and thighs)
    1. Drink plenty water
    5. Strength training (weights and resistance exercises) interspersed with all the cardio
    6. Wishing very hard!!!
    7. Remembering that even if I get the dreaded loose skin, i will look better in clothes than before, and no worse naked than before!

^^ LIKE

I have the same problem, have lost 66 lbs and boy do I hate the loose skin on thighs and stomach. But #7 above is helping me to feel better about it until it tightens up some ( I hope at least some, haven't done anything with weights yet Guess it's time to start) and I do look better in clothes now, I tell my family and friends they just can't see what underneath LOL)

Wishing you the best!

YES MA'M I think that is good advice to us all:)
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Loosing slowly and strength training are important along with lots of water. You can read about how much water our bodies are actually made of. Sweat isn't weight loss. I am 55 so my skin has lost more elasticity. I use Shea Butter, coconut oil, and homemade cream made with coconut butter. I use straight vitamin E oil on my face at night which has not shown any signs of sagging. I also take vitamin E(if you take this please read about the amount so as not to take to much). Lotions advertised with Cologan won't really help since the cologan is too large to be obsorbed into your skin. I also like Organic Olive Oil. It obsorbes more quickly into the skin and has vitamin A and E. I also use Castile soap since it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate and does not dry out the skin. I hope some or any of these help. But you are still young and the elasticity in your skin is still very good :-)
  • andie2013
    andie2013 Posts: 101
    Options
    It is certainly a concern for me, too. I lost about 50lbs since last november and there is extra skin where my love handles (now a little smaller) are and I hope a more steady weight loss will help. but in other parts of my body, my skin is doing a great job at staying tight. Well, wait and see...
  • kayloublack
    kayloublack Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltftp7JipR1qf1116o1_500.gif

Ha Ha, that made me laugh...AND I SURE WILL. ;)
  • kayloublack
    Options
    Take the weight of slowly and it should not be so much of a problem :)

• kayloublack
    Options
    It is certainly a concern for me, too. I lost about 50lbs since last november and there is extra skin where my love handles (now a little smaller) are and I hope a more steady weight loss will help. but in other parts of my body, my skin is doing a great job at staying tight. Well, wait and see...

Wow well done for the 50lbs ;)
  • kayloublack
    Options
    Loosing slowly and strength training are important along with lots of water. You can read about how much water our bodies are actually made of. Sweat isn't weight loss. I am 55 so my skin has lost more elasticity. I use Shea Butter, coconut oil, and homemade cream made with coconut butter. I use straight vitamin E oil on my face at night which has not shown any signs of sagging. I also take vitamin E(if you take this please read about the amount so as not to take to much). Lotions advertised with Cologan won't really help since the cologan is too large to be obsorbed into your skin. I also like Organic Olive Oil. It obsorbes more quickly into the skin and has vitamin A and E. I also use Castile soap since it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate and does not dry out the skin. I hope some or any of these help. But you are still young and the elasticity in your skin is still very good :-)

Thanks so much for your advice.
  • kayloublack
    Options
    hey kaylou
    1. Drink plenty water
    6. Wishing very hard!!!

^^ LIKE

Wishing you the best!

• kayloublack
    Options
    hey kaylou
    1. Drink plenty water
    6. Wishing very hard!!!

^^ LIKE

Wishing you the best!

Ha true as long as you look good with your clothes on thats what counts, who sees you naked?...in my case none, lol :)
  • kayloublack
    Options
    The skin is an organ of its own much like other body parts. It's very adaptive in fact. This lady sat down for a couple of months on a toilet seat (her boyfriend just gave her food, true story) and didn't move from that position. She was stuck in the toilet seat cause her skin cells attached to the toilet seat. Anyways ignored that story, just trying to make a point of how the skin is.

The only time that the skin hangs as far as I'm concern for a longer time is when a person has weight loss surgery. Since the Skin doesn't have time to adapt to the new body structure it just hangs basically. When you train your body to lose weight slowly it adapts on the go as you lose a few pounds so you don't need to worry about that.

Yuck horrible story, especially when I was eating my lunch HA HA After all these encouraging posts I am not that worried, just lose slow and exercise :)
  • kayloublack
    Options
    COPIED from GET-FIT Guy website

Different layers of your skin have different types of cells, and though the skin cells on the outer part of your skin (the epidermis) are constantly being lost and replaced with new cells, the skin cells under the epidermis are a bit more permanent. These layers of the skin, called the dermis and subdermis, are made up of elastic connective tissues, fibers, blood vessels and all sorts of components that can stretch or contract depending on how they’re treated.
    What Happens to Your Skin When You Lose Weight?
    When you lose weight, and especially when you lose weight very quickly, these elastic components of your skin not only lose the layers of fat that keep them stretched out over your body, but they also don’t have much time for their elasticity to adapt to your new shape.
    In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin and give you that elephant-like appearance you probably don’t want.
    How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss
    As you lose fat and your loose skin begins to appear, the first rule is: don’t panic! Because it is a living organ, your skin will slowly return to a shape that fits your new body. But since that process can take up to two years, here are steps you can take to make your skin tighten more quickly:
    Tip #1: Don’t Lose Weight Too Quickly
    In addition to weight loss, age, poor nutrition, dehydration, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all affect the elasticity of the skin.Crash diets and excessive amounts of time spent exercising can rapidly shed both muscle and fat, resulting in a double-whammy on your skin--the supportive underlying muscular structure that holds skin against your body is lost, as is the fat that keeps the skin stretched out. Quick and dirty tip for not losing weight too quickly: Aim for 1-2 pounds of fat loss per week, and make sure your weight loss program includes weight lifting so that you do not lose lean muscle. Check out more weight lifting and strength training tips here.
    Tip #2: Stay Hydrated
    Attend to your hydration needs. Water is a crucial component of maintaining skin elasticity. From both food and drink, you should be taking in at least two liters of water each day. A wonderful resource for learning more about proper hydration is this article from Nutrition Diva: How Much Water Should I Drink?
    Tip #3: Eat Properly
    Two necessary ingredients that keep skin plump and elastic are collagen and elastin. Protein-rich foods such as cottage cheese, milk, legumes, tofu, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils to help maintain healthy skin. Quick and dirty protein tip: For optimum absorption, squeeze 100-200 calories of these protein sources in immediately after your workout. For more on what to eat when working out, see my article on what to eat before and after exercising.
    Tip #4: Take Care of Your Skin
    Nourish and care for your skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation. A hot bath with sea salts and minerals can improve skin tone. Skin tightening creams with herbal formulas and ingredients such as aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, yeast extract, soy protein, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin A can help to hydrate and increase collagen and elastin formation in skin.
    Stay away from harsh detergents, such a sulfates in soaps, shampoos and dishwashing liquids, limit your sun exposure and stay away from tanning booths, and limit your exposure to hot and chlorinated water—all of these things will decrease skin elasticity. Quick and dirty tip: If you swim for fitness, use soap and shampoos that are specially designed to remove chlorine.
    When to Consider Surgery for Loose Skin
    Skin can only be stretched so far before it looses some of its ability to snap back. If you’ve had a 9-month pregnancy, then you’ll be able to tighten your loose skin. But if you’ve carried a hundred or more extra pounds for many years, you may be a candidate for plastic surgery to tighten and lift loose skin. This fix should only be used in extreme cases, and I should warn you: my clients who have undergone this operation have actually gained more fat afterwards while they were rehabilitating from surgery!
    Bottom Line
    As mentioned earlier, elasticity of your skin will naturally decrease with age. Though you can address issues such as not losing weight too quickly, staying properly hydrated, eating the right foods, and caring for your skin, you simply have no control over your age! Quick and dirty tip: Rather than letting age stress you out, you should focus on the things over which you have control—like exercising and eating right—and you’ll find that you always look good.
    Whether you have a kangaroo pouch, an orangutan chin, or elephant legs, you can use the tips in this article to tighten loose skin or prevent loose skin in the first place.

Thanks so much for this, very interesting. Feel alot better about things now. x
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ditto, Thanks for this info, it is very encouraging.
  • time2drum
    Options
    I would also like to offer dry skin brushing. I am having much success with it. Not only does it excercise your skin sort of speak but it also helps to move your lymphatic system. In addition I use dead sea mudd soap and the actual mudd. I also do not use any harsh chemicals such as lotions (where you can not pronouce the ingredients) on my skin - only natural - essential oils in aloe vera gel. Once a week I take a bath with dead sea salts not only is it relaxing but the salt has lots of minerals in it that help the skin.

Eating lots of unprocessed foods I feel gives you a great advantage also. Along with taking alpha supplements.

Either way I agree with the others that have replied loose skin is still better than the fat and much easier to hide.

Smiles!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and have lost five stone - I don't have loose skin.
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and have lost five stone - I don't have loose skin.

What was the time scale for your weight loss. I'm 48 and have given myself a yr at least. So here's hoping.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!